Options

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D Season 1 (US-Pace)

Comments

• Options
    Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was underwhelmed too, but I think it has potential.

I agree that it all seemed a bit too smug, and knowing, with little nods to the movies fans will lap up, but not offering a great deal of substance on it's own to keep you watching. I really hope it has some interesting arcs and storylines, and isn't just a monster-of-the-week type storyline.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Finally got around to watching this, it's quite good. But some of the camera-work is vomit inducing, would it kill them to keep the camera still for more than a second at a time?

Also, what is this obsession with Coulson? He literally has not been nice to a single person, and I'm 33 minutes in...
  • Options
    bbfiveneverbbfivenever Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all seemed a bit forced, and wooden.

Will give it time, but was not enamoured by it, and the ending with "lola" flying off was pretty lame.
  • Options
    Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't lame if you're a fan of the S.H.I.E.L.D comics from the 60's as that is exactly what happens with the car.
    I cheered when it happened!

[QUOTE=bbfivenever;68848011and the ending with "lola" flying off was pretty lame.[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't lame if you're a fan of the S.H.I.E.L.D comics from the 60's as that is exactly what happens with the car.
    I cheered when it happened!

I'm not.

So it was :p
  • Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    It all seemed a bit forced, and wooden.

Will give it time, but was not enamoured by it, and the ending with "lola" flying off was pretty lame.

A lot of shows start of wooden and forced and end up being massive hits, I'm hoping that is what happens with this show, I did enjoy this and so far it is probably my favourite new show out of all the new shows that have aired so far.

A universe where there is giant green monster, a norse god, a flying base of operations and some mutant humans with special powers one that can create spider webs out of his wrist. Yet a flying car you consider 'lame'? :p
  • Options
    jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything about that first episode told me not to watch again!

I will however give the second episode a chance, I'm not sure I will make it to the end though!
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was awesome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jaimesw wrote: »
    Everything about that first episode told me not to watch again!

I will however give the second episode a chance, I'm not sure I will make it to the end though!

What specifically about that episode put you off?
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it.

Fun, action, gadgets, humour, case-of-the-week-plus-an-ongoing-arc.

If anyone watched it expecting another attempt at Heroes, or a weekly TV version of The Avengers, then that's their own fault.
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I didn't like the story for the first episode. It wasn't interesting at all. It was a dull way to start off a superhero show. I wasn't expecting wall-to-wall action. But I wanted something that would grab my attention and excite me that this show was going to be different from other superhero shows.

And I did not like 4 of the main characters: Grant Ward (played by Brett Dalton), Jenna Simmons (played by Elizabeth Henstridge), Leo Fitz (played by Iain De Caestecker) and Skye (played by Chloe Bennet). I think the casting of these characters could have been better. The current actors just aren't good. I didn't like Skye almost immediately. And by the time the episode was finally over I really, really disliked her. I'd recast her before the audience gets too comfortable with her.

The bright spot is Ming-Na Wen who plays Melinda May. I thought she was rather good in it. I also liked Cobie Smulders (she played Maria Hill). But she's not a regular and as far as I know she won't be in anymore episodes. It was also good to see actor Ron Glass (Firefly). Whedon likes to cast people he worked with before in his shows so I was expecting to see familiar faces. Hope he's a regular.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm going to give this show a decent chance to win me over. I want it to win me over. So I will continue to watch it and see where it goes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    Personally I didn't like the story for the first episode. It wasn't interesting at all. It was a dull way to start off a superhero show. I wasn't expecting wall-to-wall action. But I wanted something that would grab my attention and excite me that this show was going to be different from other superhero shows.

And I did not like 4 of the main characters: Grant Ward (played by Brett Dalton), Jenna Simmons (played by Elizabeth Henstridge), Leo Fitz (played by Iain De Caestecker) and Skye (played by Chloe Bennet). I think the casting of these characters could have been better. The current actors just aren't good. I didn't like Skye almost immediately. And by the time the episode was finally over I really, really disliked her. I'd recast her before the audience gets too comfortable with her.

The bright spot is Ming-Na Wen who plays Melinda May. I thought she was rather good in it. I also liked Cobie Smulders (she played Maria Hill). But she's not a regular and as far as I know she won't be in anymore episodes. It was also good to see actor Ron Glass (Firefly). Whedon likes to cast people he worked with before in his shows so I was expecting to see familiar faces. Hope he's a regular.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm going to give this show a decent chance to win me over. I want it to win me over. So I will continue to watch it and see where it goes.
    That's more mispromotion and overhype than a fault with the show. It was pitched as being Avengers but on television, when actually it appears to be Alphas on a bigger budget with a team of agents instead of superheroes...

I think Skye is supposed to be annoying, most of the promo has been about how she can't decide whether to support them or not. My prediction is that she will become an enemy or start leaking information at some point during the series (should it last that long)...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *marv* wrote: »

A universe where there is giant green monster, a norse god, a flying base of operations and some mutant humans with special powers one that can create spider webs out of his wrist. Yet a flying car you consider 'lame'? :p

Yeah, i am not writing it off...

As you say, looking back a lot of my favourite shows were quite weak at first.

As for the car, it just looked out of place, like it was shoe horned in, all that was missing was Coulson saying "roads... Where we're going we don't need roads"
    Incidentally, Coulson seemed the most wooden of all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What specifically about that episode put you off?

The storyline.

The cast

It was very slow and very boring. However I am willing to give it another chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jaimesw wrote: »
    The storyline.

The cast

It was very slow and very boring. However I am willing to give it another chance.

Whilst slightly more specific, it's still very non-specific.

I can see why the cast would piss you off (although to be honest, Coulson was the most annoying character for me. Does he have to be so cranky?)

The storyline I'd suppose is objective...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst slightly more specific, it's still very non-specific.

I can see why the cast would piss you off (although to be honest, Coulson was the most annoying character for me. Does he have to be so cranky?)

The storyline I'd suppose is objective...

Well everybody is different.... I must admit I am normally the one that is with the minority on shows and films I like
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ratings news. This is from THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER website:

"The premiere of Joss Whedon's Avengers offshoot, Marvel's first TV effort since becoming part of ABC's Disney family, averaged a 4.6 rating among adults 18-49 and brought in 11.9 million viewers in the network's previously neglected 8 p.m. time slot. In the demo, it now ranks as the top network drama premiere since ABC's V in 2009."

The big ratings wasn't a surprise. But will it grow or will it lose viewers? We'll know soon enough. The only show that I know of that saw its audience grow larger and larger every week is AMC's THE WALKING DEAD.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The big ratings wasn't a surprise. But will it grow or will it lose viewers? We'll know soon enough. The only show that I know of that saw its audience grow larger and larger every week is AMC's THE WALKING DEAD.

I'd wait a few weeks before calling anything. GCB's second episode topped it's pilot, it was still cancelled that same season..
  • Options
    SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was sure to pull in big numbers for the pilot. I'm hoping it will continue to grow, but I think it will lose a tiny amount of viewers that just tuned in out of curiosity because it is Marvel and because of the movies and such.
  • Options
    PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    I enjoyed it.

Fun, action, gadgets, humour, case-of-the-week-plus-an-ongoing-arc.

If anyone watched it expecting another attempt at Heroes, or a weekly TV version of The Avengers, then that's their own fault.

Me too. It's not like they weren't upfront that they are normal agents dealing with issues around the superheroes.

The humour was very similar to that of the other Marvel entries. I especially loved Coulson's entrance, Ward having the truth serum used on him instead of Skye and his responses after and Skye's variation of a famous Marvel Quote "With a great power, comes...a ton of weird crap you are not prepared to deal with!"

All signs point to Coulson being a Life Model Decoy of some sort, but knowing Joss it won't be that simple.

Hopefully Cobie Smulders will be back regularly once HIMYM ends.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Palmerwho wrote: »
    Me too. It's not like they weren't upfront that they are normal agents dealing with issues around the superheroes.

The humour was very similar to that of the other Marvel entries. I especially loved Coulson's entrance, Ward having the truth serum used on him instead of Skye and his responses after and Skye's variation of a famous Marvel Quote "With a great power, comes...a ton of weird crap you are not prepared to deal with!"

All signs point to Coulson being a Life Model Decoy of some sort, but knowing Joss it won't be that simple.

Hopefully Cobie Smulders will be back regularly once HIMYM ends.

Probably not even allowed to say that quote thanks to Sony.

Agree about Coulson's "death" not being cleared up, although hopefully (and seemingly with that quote about Coulson during the ep) it will be cleared up...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if you're really joking or not, but I doubt the "great power" quote was said like that because of any deal with Sony. More likely it was done for comic effect, given how well the standard quote is known. The great power quote has been used all over the place (e.g. Myka said it in Warehouse 13), without Sony coming in and saying "You can't say that, we own Spider-Man and also famous quotes!".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    I don't know if you're really joking or not, but I doubt the "great power" quote was said like that because of any deal with Sony. More likely it was done for comic effect, given how well the standard quote is known. The great power quote has been used all over the place (e.g. Myka said it in Warehouse 13), without Sony coming in and saying "You can't say that, we own Spider-Man and also famous quotes!".

Well, sort of tongue in cheek but you know that Marvel studios cannot even say the word "mutant" in any of their films right...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha, yeah, but that's not the same as a well-used quote.

No mention of "X-Men" or "mutant" or specific characters due to the Fox deal, no mention of "Spider-man" or associated characters because of the Sony deal. Those are specific things, character names and groups of characters associated with the relevant license.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"The premiere of Joss Whedon's Avengers offshoot, Marvel's first TV effort since becoming part of ABC's Disney family, averaged a 4.6 rating among adults 18-49 and brought in 11.9 million viewers in the network's previously neglected 8 p.m. time slot. In the demo, it now ranks as the top network drama premiere since ABC's V in 2009."

Person Of Interest also gained viewers week by week. The exception being the season 3 premiere, which aired on a new day.