Euro 2016 Qualifying Thread

JudioJudio Posts: 11,795
Forum Member
✭✭
Draw : Sunday, 23 February 2014, 11h00 (start of show)

All the Details

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/Draws/02/04/64/31/2046431_DOWNLOAD.pdf

The Relevant bits for TV Rights

9 groups: 8 groups of 6 teams (Groups A-H) and 1 group of 5 teams (Group I);
League system on home and away basis;

For TV reasons, England, Germany, Italy, Spain and the
Netherlands shall be drawn into groups of 6 teams.
The last team to be drawn among the remaining teams in Pot 1 will be allocated to Group I
composed of 5 teams.

There is also a change to the Euro 2016 fixture schedule, with qualifying matches being spread over six days of the international weeks rather than just being played on Fridays and Tuesdays, as they have been previously.

Uefa also revealed that every day of the international weeks would feature eight to 10 matches, rather than 20 to 30 fixtures on the same evening.

Comments

• JudioJudio Posts: 11,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The rule change from Uefa sees France become the first host nation to take part in a Euro qualification phase.

Their addition to the group-stage draw will create nine pools of six teams, yet the games will be "centralised friendlies" with no points awarded.

Uefa's new rule is outlined in Euro 2016 regulation article 21.02, which reads: "The teams drawn into the group of five teams will have France added to their group for the purpose of playing."
  • mike joycemike joyce Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This whole thing is absolutely pathetic. I hate UEFA.
  • samburrowssamburrows Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still not sure how I feel about the whole "week of football" thing. Would have been good when qualifying was actually competitive, but with 24 teams going through to the finals this is going to be riddled with dead rubbers. Top 3 of each group qualify - so the only games which matter are going to be the likes of Moldova vs Slovakia.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,975
    Forum Member
    I bet the French players and their clubs will be delighted having to play meaningless friendlies when they don't need to..
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    I bet the French players and their clubs will be delighted having to play meaningless friendlies when they don't need to..

they would have been playing games during the international windows anyway. or do you think they would be playing no games at all until the finals start in the summer 2 years from now?
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They'd probably still have played meaningless friendlies against teams from other continents during international weeks. Maybe they'll try to break the legs of players from the best teams in the group.

24 teams qualifying is a terrible idea. As others have noted it makes the qualifiers less important, and means the finals will be watered down, so we'll have matches in which the worst teams do nothing but try desperately for 0-0.

And then four years later they have the brilliant "no one is the host/everyone is the host" tournament. Platini manages to sully his legacy as a player with every stupid decision he makes.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,975
    Forum Member
    True but they might only play one per break usually rather than 2?

I can see a few issues being raised as well with the fact games are to be played throughout the week...

How will that work and who do they decide will play when?

Could see a few clubs managers having issues with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you will play one out of

Thursday/Sunday
    Friday/Monday
    Saturday/Tuesday

Obviously the big Countries will have a gap, smaller ones may have to play Friday/Sunday to fit in !!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True but they might only play one per break usually rather than 2?

I can see a few issues being raised as well with the fact games are to be played throughout the week...

How will that work and who do they decide will play when?

Sounds like UEFA will set the schedule once the draw has been made. There are three day blocks when the teams play, e.g. 9-11 October (Thurs-Sat), and 12-14 October (Sun-Tues). The teams in each group all play on the same days. I would imagine they'll mix it up so some weeks e.g England and the teams in their group will play on a Thursday then a Sunday, other times Friday then Monday, etc.

Presumably this is being done to generate additional TV income so e.g fans in England can watch England one night, Germany/Spain/Italy/France/Portugal/whomever the other nights.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    samburrows wrote: »
    Top 3 of each group qualify -

Almost ;-)

1 France (1 Side)

2 Top 2 in 9 Groups plus The Best 3rd Place side (19 Sides)

3 The Remaining 8 3rd Teams will play in a play off (4 Sides)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Then when you are in the Finals

They start with 24 Teams and 16 will Qualify for Knockout Stages>:(

So Basically you cant lose in the Group Stages :o:o
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samburrows wrote: »
    Still not sure how I feel about the whole "week of football" thing. Would have been good when qualifying was actually competitive, but with 24 teams going through to the finals this is going to be riddled with dead rubbers. Top 3 of each group qualify - so the only games which matter are going to be the likes of Moldova vs Slovakia.

All the 3rds go into the play-offs (except the best 3rd). Qualifiers are :

9 winners and runners-up = 18
    Best 3rd = 1
    Other eight 3rds play-off = 4
    Hosts = 1
    Total = 24

From a British perspective it's actually potentially more interesting with the games for everyone apart from England being much more meaningful - as Scot/Wal/NI/ROI will all have much more chance of qualifying.

However for England the games are obviously less meaningful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you have to play 10 Games in your Group

Some of the Top sides will probably qualify after 6

4 more meaningless games to play !!!
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Live TV rights reminder:

All England games - ITV
    All Scotland, Wales, NI and ROI games - Sky (***)

(***) Subject to caveat below

Games not featuring a British country
    :
    MD1 to MD8: 1st pick - ITV, all other games - Sky
    MD9 and MD10: 1st pick - Sky, 2nd pick - ITV, all other games - Sky

If England drawn in same group as another British country:
    England home leg - ITV only
    England away leg - ITV and Sky simulcast

ITV and Sky can both show highlights of the other's live games.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judio wrote: »
    So you have to play 10 Games in your Group

Some of the Top sides will probably qualify after 6

4 more meaningless games to play !!!

The more I think about it, the top national and club sides probably don't mind that, same for the TV companies that show the qualifying and finals.

The best national teams will be virtually guaranteed qualifying, so you won't see the likes of England missing Euro 2008, France missing WC 1994, etc. The TV companies probably welcome all the top teams qualifying, and of course more matches in the finals, even if there will be more dud games. And the TV companies in the countries that wouldn't have qualified with 16 teams but do with 24 will be especially pleased.

The clubs will probably welcome the top national teams qualifying with several matches to go so they can lobby them to rest their star players.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't have high hopes for this new tournament format. Euro 2012 was brilliant with no "placeholder" teams (except Ireland), much like Euro 2008 was, and I don't think we'll ever see that again. 16 out of 24 qualifying from the group stage in particular is so retarded.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    24 teams qualifying is a terrible idea.

Don't worry - it's only going to get worse: the Euro 2020 Final Tournament is going to be played across Europe.
  • mattwmattw Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Live TV rights reminder:

All England games - ITV
    All Scotland, Wales, NI and ROI games - Sky (***)

(***) Subject to caveat below

Games not featuring a British country
    :
    MD1 to MD8: 1st pick - ITV, all other games - Sky
    MD9 and MD10: 1st pick - Sky, 2nd pick - ITV, all other games - Sky

If England drawn in same group as another British country:
    England home leg - ITV only
    England away leg - ITV and Sky simulcast

ITV and Sky can both show highlights of the other's live games.

Going over old ground I know, but how can itv claim to be a UK (well English and Welsh at least) broadcaster by getting England rights only, rather than first pick of the Thurs - Sat or Sun - Tue (which would have allowed them to show say a crucial qualifier involving Wales, or potentially Scotland or NI).
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,085
    Forum Member
    mattw wrote: »
    Going over old ground I know, but how can itv claim to be a UK (well English and Welsh at least) broadcaster by getting England rights only, rather than first pick of the Thurs - Sat or Sun - Tue (which would have allowed them to show say a crucial qualifier involving Wales, or potentially Scotland or NI).

England games will get bigger ratings than any other UK nation, and to be honest, the only games that'd come close to England game ratings would be games such as Spain v Germany.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sadly in the current rights climate ITV doesn't have the money to compete against Sky and BT. This deal is actually pretty good for the UK viewer: all home nations' games are being shown live, and unlike in the past where they are not live on FTA TV, they are at least all on the same channel... not like home games on Sky, away games on Setanta for example.

In addition, there are free to air highlights of all home nations' games available to the whole of the UK.

It's over 20 years since that was true.
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will this mean STV will air a highlights show? Or they not part of the England deal again?
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It wouldn't make sense for ITV to choose a Wales game that would attract only a tiny amount of viewers compared to a game involving England, even if it was a game that Wales needed to win to qualify whilst England faced a team like the Faroe Islands.
  • hessy2hessy2 Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So let me get this straight... France will be in a "normal" qualifying group with no points up for grabs for either team in France's games, so if a COUNTRY A plays France on a Friday then plays a normal qualifying game the following Tuesday, COUNTRY A will not want to get players injured so will just play a reserve team?

Will bookings/Sendings off count?

Is there any sense in this?
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hessy2 wrote: »
    So let me get this straight... France will be in a "normal" qualifying group with no points up for grabs for either team in France's games, so if a COUNTRY A plays France on a Friday then plays a normal qualifying game the following Tuesday, COUNTRY A will not want to get players injured so will just play a reserve team?

Will bookings/Sendings off count?

Is there any sense in this?

So what that basically means is UEFA will choose the friendly matches France play rather than the French themselves?
  • wild_tywild_ty Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    The more I think about new format for qualifying and finals, the more ridiculous it seems from a broadcasting point of view and a sporting view.

I envisage it devaluing the tournament, which as someone already said is highly competitive at the moment due to the fact nearly all 16 teams competing are top teams. Why do UEFA feel the need to change everything all of the time?!