Euro 2016 Qualifying Thread

Comments

• howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Live TV rights reminder:

All England games - ITV
    All Scotland, Wales, NI and ROI games - Sky (***)

(***) Subject to caveat below

Games not featuring a British country
    :
    MD1 to MD8: 1st pick - ITV, all other games - Sky
    MD9 and MD10: 1st pick - Sky, 2nd pick - ITV, all other games - Sky

If England drawn in same group as another British country:
    England home leg - ITV only
    England away leg - ITV and Sky simulcast

ITV and Sky can both show highlights of the other's live games.
    Well, I'm calling GIBRALTAR a British country and so far their international games (albeit friendlies) have been webcasted live via GBC. Let's hope that continues and Sky/BT keep their greedy hands off, regardless of who they are playing. What price Gibraltar v Germany or Italy?

The only thing for sure is Gibraltar can't stuff Spain. Might have to wait until the finals for that little pleasure - if Spain make it.
  • The LizardThe Lizard Posts: 2,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wild_ty wrote: »
    The more I think about new format for qualifying and finals, the more ridiculous it seems from a broadcasting point of view and a sporting view.

I envisage it devaluing the tournament, which as someone already said is highly competitive at the moment due to the fact nearly all 16 teams competing are top teams. Why do UEFA feel the need to change everything all of the time?!

One reason - more MONEY coming their way!

They may come up with some reasons for the changes, but the real reason - like with most, if not all big organisations nowadays - MONEY!
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Lizard wrote: »
    One reason - more MONEY coming their way!

They may come up with some reasons for the changes, but the real reason - like with most, if not all big organisations nowadays - MONEY!

In one way I agree that for the TV, it gets the big pulls into the finals (Holland, Italy etc) but it also gives the nations who rarely make it, and there are a lot of them, such as the Polands, Ukraines, Bulgarias of this world their chance in the sun.

But if it's 24 in the finals, then the qualifying rounds are a waste of time, simply have a home/away qualifier from the 48 conutries that remain after the lesser nations (such as Malta, Andorra, Liechtenstein, England) have played off for places.

(Only kidding)...(Liechtenstein)...:D
  • The LizardThe Lizard Posts: 2,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    In one way I agree that for the TV, it gets the big pulls into the finals (Holland, Italy etc) but it also gives the nations who rarely make it, and there are a lot of them, such as the Polands, Ukraines, Bulgarias of this world their chance in the sun.

But if it's 24 in the finals, then the qualifying rounds are a waste of time, simply have a home/away qualifier from the 48 conutries that remain after the lesser nations (such as Malta, Andorra, Liechtenstein, England) have played off for places.

(Only kidding)...(Liechtenstein)...:D

:D The last bits of your message made me have a little chuckle!

I agree, the new format would open the door for a few more teams to book their ticket to France for Euro 2016.

It could be a very interesting draw for all UK countries, next month.
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Live TV rights reminder:

All England games - ITV
    All Scotland, Wales, NI and ROI games - Sky (***)

(***) Subject to caveat below

Games not featuring a British country
    :
    MD1 to MD8: 1st pick - ITV, all other games - Sky
    MD9 and MD10: 1st pick - Sky, 2nd pick - ITV, all other games - Sky

If England drawn in same group as another British country:
    England home leg - ITV only
    England away leg - ITV and Sky simulcast

ITV and Sky can both show highlights of the other's live games.

so will sky do it like there champions league match choice screening?
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so will sky do it like there champions league match choice screening?

They probably won't need to.
    If each set of matches is spread across three days, and there are multiple time slots each day, for example 6pm and 8pm on weekdays, and 12, 2, 4, 6 and 8pm at weekends that means you can show nine games on one channel.

There will only be 18 games per set of matches, which works out as two per time slot.
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,161
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    They probably won't need to.
    If each set of matches is spread across three days, and there are multiple time slots each day, for example 6pm and 8pm on weekdays, and 12, 2, 4, 6 and 8pm at weekends that means you can show nine games on one channel.

There will only be 18 games per set of matches, which works out as two per time slot.

Could go even later as prime time kick off for home Spain and Portugal games is 10pm local in many instances.
    I presume ITV will insist on England at 8pm on week nights or will it be like Europe League where UEFA make the teams rotate the early and late kick off slots.

Plus as these are international weeks I presume the Football League will be unable to blackout the Saturday afternoon when their games clash with internationals, although I guess when England play on a Saturday it will be 5pm or 6pm kick off.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whole qualifying format seems farcical in my opinion.
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Kick-off times will be set mainly at 18.00CET and 20.45CET on Saturdays and Sundays and 20.45CET for Thursdays, Fridays, Mondays and Tuesdays.
    http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/finals/news/newsid=2036613.html
  • samburrowssamburrows Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good article on this in today's Observer.

Michel Platini's Euro 2016 qualification brainwave lacks common sense
  • James_MonnellyJames_Monnelly Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wouldn't make sense for ITV to choose a Wales game that would attract only a tiny amount of viewers compared to a game involving England, even if it was a game that Wales needed to win to qualify whilst England faced a team like the Faroe Islands.

BBC 1 did show a vital Wales qualifer against Russia a few years ago and it was national BBC 1 not BBC1 Wales
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Whole qualifying format seems farcical in my opinion.

same here, go back to the old way.. there was nothing wrong with it, so why change it
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mattw wrote: »
    Going over old ground I know, but how can itv claim to be a UK (well English and Welsh at least) broadcaster by getting England rights only, rather than first pick of the Thurs - Sat or Sun - Tue (which would have allowed them to show say a crucial qualifier involving Wales, or potentially Scotland or NI).

As arius mentions, presumably ITV were only able to afford the rights to one nation and it makes sense for that to be the biggest. Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have been on pay TV for, in some cases, over a decade so it's not like viewers in those nations are going to be completely disenfranchised, they're used to it.
    BBC 1 did show a vital Wales qualifer against Russia a few years ago and it was national BBC 1 not BBC1 Wales

Rather different, though, because that was in the play-offs when England weren't playing a) a competitive match and b) on the same day. And in those days the Beeb had highlights to Wales home games and England friendlies were on Sky. And rights were a bit more flexible in those days.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    same here, go back to the old way.. there was nothing wrong with it, so why change it

I prefer this way. As it currently stands it's only marginally more difficult to qualify for a World Cup than it is for European Championships. It's not as if the 8 teams added will be weak anyway.
  • KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The draw could give us some interesting groups, for example:

:D
    England
    Ireland
    Norway
    Scotland
    N Ireland
    Gibraltar

:o
    Bosnia
    Croatia
    Serbia
    Montenegro
    Macedonia

:eek:
    Russia
    Ukraine
    Poland
    Belarus
    Georgia
    Kazakhstan

Greece
    Croatia
    Turkey
    Bulgaria
    Cyprus
    Malta

:cool:
    Germany
    Denmark
    Norway
    Finland
    Iceland
    Faroe
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what that basically means is UEFA will choose the friendly matches France play rather than the French themselves?

Indeed they do - which means France may have to play friendlies against the likes of Azerbaijan and Wales rather than teams like Germany or the Netherlands.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KarlHyde wrote: »
    Bosnia
    Croatia
    Serbia
    Montenegro
    Macedonia
    That would be some interesting trips for the away fans.:o
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    Indeed they do - which means France may have to play friendlies against the likes of Azerbaijan and Wales rather than teams like Germany or the Netherlands.
    Won't Germany and Holland be playing anyway in their own qualifiers at the same time? So France would not have been able to play a friendly against them even if they were not drawn in a Qualifying Group.
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,161
    Forum Member
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    Won't Germany and Holland be playing anyway in their own qualifiers at the same time? So France would not have been able to play a friendly against them even if they were not drawn in a Qualifying Group.

It does. But it stops a friendly against Brazil or Argentina which is possible as most of their squads play in Europe. A friendly against either of those is much more attractive both to fans to turn up to a game and TV than some European minnow. There will be no options for European friendlies I believe on these weekends as each country plays twice. In some of the windows in previous years you only had one qualifier so could use the other for a friendly.
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judio wrote: »
    And Then when you are in the Finals

They start with 24 Teams and 16 will Qualify for Knockout Stages>:(

So Basically you cant lose in the Group Stages :o:o

This is how some World Cups were conducted back in the day before the expansion to 32 teams. I have little issue with it.

I'm sceptical that Sky will show all of their the games with commentary (if at all) due to the teams in pot 5 and 6.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »

Oh yeah, I missed that bit.
  • THFC23THFC23 Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Whens the draw? Is it on TV?
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,085
    Forum Member
    Don't know the time, but I think I remember seeing my mate talking about the draw being on Sunday, so I'd guess at something like 4pm on Sunday maybe? More than likely will be on TV though.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Don't know the time, but I think I remember seeing my mate talking about the draw being on Sunday, so I'd guess at something like 4pm on Sunday maybe? More than likely will be on TV though.

Cant imagine them clashing the draw with the closing ceremony of the Winter Olympics...
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,085
    Forum Member
    Cant imagine them clashing the draw with the closing ceremony of the Winter Olympics...

Wouldn't know when that was on anyway to be honest.