Options

Resurrection - UK Pace (No Spoilers)

anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
This new US show based on the book The Returned and similar in concept to the hit French show Les Revenants starts on Watch on 18th August.

Comments

• Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Saw a trailer for this the other day - looks promising...and renewed for a second season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Saw a trailer for this the other day - looks promising...and renewed for a second season.

Looks like a good cast. Frances Fisher and that guy from House.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just noticed this - might have to give it a go as my sky planner has got precisely three shows on series link at the moment :)

and it's good to know it's got a second season already.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    This already screened in Australia. I was a tad underwhelmed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Starts tonight at 9pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why was this moved to cult & fantasy? Is it really a cult show?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why was this moved to cult & fantasy? Is it really a cult show?

Dead people coming back to life "mysteriously" ?.

I think it qualifies :)

Anyway, I watched the first half of the episode last night and it wasn't bad - bit slow paced, but it was intruiging enough I suppose. I'll watch the rest later, but with the pace of the episode so far, I think it'll certainly have to give me something early-ish that hints as to why this is happening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dead people coming back to life "mysteriously" ?.

I think it qualifies :)

Anyway, I watched the first half of the episode last night and it wasn't bad - bit slow paced, but it was intruiging enough I suppose. I'll watch the rest later, but with the pace of the episode so far, I think it'll certainly have to give me something early-ish that hints as to why this is happening.

Yeah it wasn't bad. A bit schmaltzy. Very different to Les Revenants which is a lot darker. Shame they didn't go down that route.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Yeah it wasn't bad. A bit schmaltzy. Very different to Les Revenants which is a lot darker. Shame they didn't go down that route.

Les Revenants is made by a French subscription channel patterned after HBO, so no wonder that it has the sort of tone Resurrection would have if it were an HBO show. Since Resurrection is a mainstream network show in the US, it really has the appropriate tone for a network audience. Now, the basic cable channel A&E is making an official US remake of Les Revenants, so I expect that to be darker in tone than Resurrection, but I doubt it will be as eerie as it would be if HBO were doing the remake.
  • Options
    marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked it. It reminded me a lot of the 4400.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i caught the end of it earlier and it was ok. it's still not grabbing me immediately, but i suspect it'll be a slow burner. there's just enough there to make me watch episode 2, so we'll see
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Intriguing and definitely washable at a time when there's very little else that's worth watching!
  • Options
    jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,057
    Forum Member
    I watched this a few weeks ago and it does have a slow start but picks up quite a bit towards the end of the season, where they start setting up season 2.
  • Options
    MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was ok, worth tuning in for episode 2.

Is there really only 8 episodes? - seems like a short season for an american show
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    I thought it was ok, worth tuning in for episode 2.

Is there really only 8 episodes? - seems like a short season for an american show

Didn't know that - a quick check of epguides confirms it is indeed 8 episodes

http://www.epguides.com/Resurrection/

Might be worth sticking with it then as i imagine the story will unfold fairly quickly.

Don't know how many episodes season 2 has though
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    Season 2 has 13 episodes.
    I liked the first episode. I think I'll keep watching it to see how it all turns out.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    It was a "mid-season" show; hence the limited number of eps.
  • Options
    MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll definitely stick with it then as its only 8 episodes:)
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Season 2 will probably be longer. Which can sometimes be a problem as it drags the story out too much.
  • Options
    Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the first episode. Not sure whether I'll continue to like it. The first episode was mainly a rather touching, intriguing story about a young boy who has (apparently) come back to life. However it seems about to expand into a tale where various dead people come back to life. But I'll give it a go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but very disappointing - gonna stick with the original French version.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Sorry, but very disappointing - gonna stick with the original French version.

This isn't a remake of and has no connection to The Returned
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The trailer for future episodes was a bit of giveaway with its footage of
    The returning people seemingly crumbling to dust
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    This isn't a remake of and has no connection to The Returned

yes, they did say that didn't they.... #poorrelationandnotasgood
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    yes, they did say that didn't they.... #poorrelationandnotasgood

It is based on a novel by Jason Mott called The Returned, which was written and bought by a publisher in America before Les Revenants even aired in France let alone anywhere in the English-speaking world. However, an official US remake of the French series is being filmed and will air on a different US channel than the one that makes Resurrection.