Great British Railway Journeys

Comments

• Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched all episodes thus far on BBC iPlayer (HD). I find Portillo rather easy going which suits the programme. I'm glad York was mentioned, one of my favourite cities in the UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Really great series, I like the fact he is so enthusiastic..it was fascinating to see the gallery his grandfather donated paintings to - and what a house.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Very nice programme. Nice pace and Portillo makes a good compagnion (never thought I'd hear myself say that!).

A nice change from dancing and cooking and people crying/weeping/cheering/shouting etc.
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaybs wrote: »
    Doghouse Riley,

You are allowed your opinion, as much as I am with mine!

I am clear that many more viewers are enjoying this fine programme and Michael's qualities as a presenter than those who are not. I have converted so many friends and colleagues to this programme, at a time when other than news there is not a lot on TV.

I don't know that he started off as the best presenter but he has grown into it. I expect he failed to realise the irony of 'saving' the Settle to Carlisle railway when the boss lady was busy privatising or was he not aware of that :rolleyes:

But agree, there is very little on TV right now save the horrendous One Show which I'm gladly missing in favour of recording this programme and watching later. I'd enjoy seeing it again one day - my father worked for BR and we went everywhere by train, I am especially looking forward to Penzance next week as I always use the sleeper to go there on my holidays and it is still exciting even as an adult. I also feel inspired to pick up the guidebook myself and see what I can learn.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I have greatly enjoyed this series so far.. I love the BBC showing off our beautiful British countryside.. add this to gems like Coast, Wainwrights Walks and Countryfile
    Michael Portillo makes a fine presenter too
  • DoubleDoomDoubleDoom Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    A very good programme and even the children are watching it. The style is easy to follow and its not patronising. A little bit more on the buidlings and the route itself (what you can see on the way) would be good.

Only one real thing annoys me and that is the 4 minute intro on each episode and a couple of minutes of whats coming in the next episode. Thats too much for a 30 minute programme.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DoubleDoom wrote: »
    A very good programme and even the children are watching it. The style is easy to follow and its not patronising. A little bit more on the buidlings and the route itself (what you can see on the way) would be good.

Only one real thing annoys me and that is the 4 minute intro on each episode and a couple of minutes of whats coming in the next episode. Thats too much for a 30 minute programme.

Unfortunately, this is the way programmes are made these days, the broadcasters will probably assert that they are made this way to cater for viewers with A.D.D. (but they would be fooling no one).

The "ploy" is;

They tell you what they're going to show you.

Show you,

Then tell you what they've shown you.

Usually the latter is left until after;

They've told you they're going to show you something else,

Show you something else.

and then go back to;

Tell you what they showed you the first time.

At the end of the programme, they tell you what they're going to show you next time.

If they can link three different things together, by constantly switching backwards and forwards, they can reduce the actual content of a thirty minute programme to about twenty.
    A commercial programme with advertising breaks could probably get this down to about fifteen.
  • kibblerokkibblerok Posts: 1,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this thread on here last week and have caught up on them all.

A thoroughly enjoyable series and Portillo is doing a fine job.

Theres plenty more routes not covered or shorter routes to cover more in depth so heres to hoping there are more commissioned after these 4 weeks.

Having said that, I came here to post similar to the below. For a BBC programme there is too much intro/outro padding. We hear about the guide, have the credits, see the map and he talks about the guide again. After a few episodes this repetitive part is getting a little annoying.

Given the locations im sure there is more than enough footage cut out to fill the void left by scrapping the intro.
  • OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fascinating show and I think Portillo has done a great job so far. I like the fact that Michael has chance to visit the traditional landmarks and industries of the different areas on his journey.

This program definitely needs another series.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Portillo, best PM we never had.

This show is great.. I dunno what it is but I'm hooked, sat on the sofa watching it all. I'd normally be bored to tears but Portillo just makes it all so watchable and interesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fascinating show and I think Portillo has done a great job so far. I like the fact that Michael has chance to visit the traditional landmarks and industries of the different areas on his journey.

This program definitely needs another series.

Exactly what I have said in my earlier posts,
    Michael has found his niche with this programme,
    he definitely needs another series.

It makes a change from seeing the usual 'old' faces
    who do similar shows for the BBC.
    Forum Member
    Really thinking about visiting Cheddar Gorge now, what a beautiful place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timedancer wrote: »
    Really thinking about visiting Cheddar Gorge now, what a beautiful place.

Me too. We drove past it last year but didn't think of checking it out at the time. Doh.

We visited the North Devon coastline last Summer. There is one place called Sandymouth which is beautiful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree totally about the repeated intros and whats next. It spoils what ius an otherwise excellent programme
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to know why they appear to be completely bypassing Exeter in tonight's programme - judging by the previews anyway!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Full credit to Michael Portillo, he came across as very unlikable back in his days in Government but here he's very engaging, pleasant and interesting to listen to. Like James May, he doesn't let his ego get in the way of the stories of the people he meets or the places he visits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    itv sucks wrote: »
    Full credit to Michael Portillo, he came across as very unlikable back in his days in Government but here he's very engaging, pleasant and interesting to listen to. Like James May, he doesn't let his ego get in the way of the stories of the people he meets or the places he visits.

Hmm..

He comes across to me as an older Ben Fogle and he occasionally seems to be talking down to us.

I get particularly irritated in the showing of clips of the "best bits" at the beginning of each programme.

This of course is the BBC's pathetic attempt to hang on to as many viewers as possible who've just started watching that particular episode, in case they switch channels.

Why not just let them decide for themselves? After all, they've paid for the programme.
  • jonno65jonno65 Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Hmm..

He comes across to me as an older Ben Fogle and he occasionally seems to be talking down to us.

I get particularly irritated in the showing of clips of the "best bits" at the beginning of each programme.

This of course is the BBC's pathetic attempt to hang on to as many viewers as possible who've just started watching that particular episode, in case they switch channels.

Why not just let them decide for themselves? After all, they've paid for the programme.

Fabulous Stuff - one of the best things on Telly by a mile.
    MP very affable too.
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    itv sucks wrote: »
    I agree. I almost didn't start watching this because I never liked him when he was in government, but he comes across as very likable now - perhaps I got him wrong in the past. I'm really enjoying the programme, I love travelling by train myself.
  • OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say the last few episodes have been great - The Southwest + Cornish coast Railway lines are magnificent

Micheal seems to be settling into this role very well in my humble opinion :)
    Forum Member
    Have to say the last few episodes have been great - The Southwest + Cornish coast Railway lines are magnificent

Micheal seems to be settling into this role very well in my humble opinion :)

He's really boosting the tourist trade, I'm getting so many ideas for holidays!
  • 2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timedancer wrote: »
    He's really boosting the tourist trade, I'm getting so many ideas for holidays!

Yep, in that respect this programme has taken over the mantle of Countryfile. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the idea of Totness pounds. :D
  • wombatofludhamwombatofludham Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's become a very engaging programme even if as a railway enthusiast the continuity gaffes have got me wetting myself with laughter, I mean today's trip along the Torbay and Dartmouth started out behind a GWR tank, then morphed into King Edward I, an LMS Black 5 and a Pannier Tank in a journey of less than an hour - and I have my suspicions not all the aerial shots were of the T&D!

Nevertheless entertaining and Michael does seem to have become more relaxed talking with the proles in the vox-pops as the series has gone on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's become a very engaging programme even if as a railway enthusiast the continuity gaffes have got me wetting myself with laughter, I mean today's trip along the Torbay and Dartmouth started out behind a GWR tank, then morphed into King Edward I, an LMS Black 5 and a Pannier Tank in a journey of less than an hour - and I have my suspicions not all the aerial shots were of the T&D!

Nevertheless entertaining and Michael does seem to have become more relaxed talking with the proles in the vox-pops as the series has gone on.

I was aware that when switching back and forth from ground level to aerial shots, the engines were completely different, but I guess the BBC think that it doesn't really matter to people who watch this programme and are they are probably right. I expect they'd have used library aerial footage for this programme, I doubt if the budget would have stretched to hiring a helicopter.
    I suppose the days of hiring one and sending the "A" news presenter team up to Scotland to "report on the death of one swan" which had got washed up on a beach are over.

Although I enjoy the programmes, I still am irritated and feel patronised by all the "We're going to show you" nonsense with clips at the beginning of the programme, it's so unnecessary.
This discussion has been closed.