Suggestions for good captcha questions ?

pericompericom Posts: 6,025
Forum Member
Im setting up a captcha and using a question and answer system.

Anyone have any suggestions of questions to ask that are hard for bot software to work out but easy for a human.

Comments

• OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The key thing that many captcha's seem to use is totally unreadable text and voice prompts that could be background radiation noise of whales farting.

Personally I prefer the simpler to read two words or numbers. I wonder how important it is for captchas to be so distorted that it takes about 5 attempts to get them right.

More and more seem to go for words that are random but easily read, like 'toaster wingnut' or ' mangrove helicopter'

edit: I think those two are from Monty Python lol

There's the answer! random Monty Python names. :D
  • pericompericom Posts: 6,025
    Forum Member
    Yeah spam bot have become pretty sophisticated and can crack nearly all "unreadable" scrambled texts.

The best way forward is custom questions which cant be googled. I just had to change some captchas as they got cracked in the latest spam software.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Not Captcha but questions you have to remember the answers to when signing up for repeat prescriptions online at my local surgery, a step too far IMO.

http://s17.postimg.org/f89jgvku7/Silly_Questions.png
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could perhaps have a picture and ask "what is this?". Might need to run a reverse google image search to insure it comes up with the wrong answer first.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Not Captcha but questions you have to remember the answers to when signing up for repeat prescriptions online at my local surgery, a step too far IMO.

Silly questions indeed. When I was a child, phones didn't have area codes.
  • davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    If I was to ask you if you were a spam bot would you say yes?

If they answer no you should be good to go
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Silly questions indeed. When I was a child, phones didn't have area codes.

Yes same here and the where did they meet question, well I was only a twinkle in their eyes.
    You can of course answer any old rubbish and screenprint it.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the fundamental colour of a lemon?
    What is the very precious metal used for coins that isn't silver?
    What is the colour of grass?
    What is the colour of cochineal?

(These are "challenge questions", BTW - nothing to do with CAPTCHA.)

To make it harder for the "bots", present these questions as an image of the text.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'm amazed spambots can read all those unreadble captchas because I sure struggle :D

Does anyone manage to use the audio playback hint and actually hear the words? all I hear is garbled ghostly sounds.
  • Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »

well I would be screwed as my parents did not have a phone line until I had left home.

what daft questions - I find the ones where they have random animals and you have to pick out a cat are easy to use and at the same time difficult for a Computer to work out the correct answer.