Your favourite dramas of 2013?

davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As we near the end of 2013, what are your favourite dramas of the year? Here are my top 10 picks (do you agree with me?):

1. The Fall - excellent drama on BBC2. Every episode was absolutely gripping, with both lead actors putting in consistently excellent performances. The ending left some people divided, but I quite liked how it was left hanging... the whole series was enthralling and watching it was like riding a rollercoaster. I really didn't want it to end. It's my number one drama of the year.

2. Peaky Blinders - Another drama on BBC2. Gripped by every episode, excellent acting from the lead cast and it had an absolutely brilliant ending. It was very atmospheric and had excellent production values, along with strong writing throughout.

3. Death in Paradise - excellent mystery series, with a great backdrop. A perfect escape from the dark winter months.

4. Silent Witness - The 17th series is starting in January and despite being on since 1996, this series still delivers with excellent storytelling.

5. Broadchurch - One of the biggest successes for ITV this year. A strong cast, with twists and turns throughout. This was a prime example of traditional weekly drama still being alive and well within the TV landscape.

6. Spiral - The fourth series was shown earlier in the year on BBC4. This series is intelligent, doesn't patronise and is drama for grown ups. With well drawn characters and story strands intelligently woven together, this is a dramatic masterpiece.

7. Wentworth Prison - The first series was shown on Channel 5 this year. This was a gritty drama, with a talented cast and the last four episodes were so gripping, they had to be watched in a marathon viewing!

8. The Returned - a French zombie series shown on Channel 4. This series had so many layers. Like Spiral, it was atmospheric throughout, the characterisation was three dimensional and the different story strands left a lot to interpret and think about.

9. What Remains - A mystery series shown recently on BBC1, where a woman was found dead in her attic and nobody realised that she was there. There were lots of questions throughout the series, but the finale was a very satisfying hour of TV which answered plenty and was gripping throughout.

10. Black Mirror - Charlie Brooker showed us what could be a very scary reality, in this modern technology obsessed world. In particular, the episode 'White Rabbit' really affected me as it confronted the viewers with the dangerous attitudes towards mob mentality. I couldn't sleep after watching that episode as it creeped me out so much and I was left thinking about the episode for weeks afterwards. A piece of television that has stayed with me throughout the year.

Comments

• Jack_ClintonJack_Clinton Posts: 2,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me:

- Doctor Who
    - The Escape Artist
    - Broadchurch
    - Ripper Street
    - By Any Means
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Broadchurch by a clear mile
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    The Fall
    The Returned
    Spiral
    Borgen
    The Mill
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,019
    Forum Member
    The Tunnel
    The Fall
    Spiral
    Borgen
    Broadchurch
    The Returned
    Dancing on the Edge
  • georgeshairgeorgeshair Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Broadchurch
    The Tunnel
    Black Mirror
    Doctor Who (the 50th anniversary episode)
  • manderleymanderley Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Borgen

The Tunnel
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ray Donovan
    The Fall
    Sleepy Hollow
    Last Tango in Halifax
    Bates Motel
    The Tunnel
    Ripper Street
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Ripper Street
    2. Being Human
    3. By Any Means

Nothing else appealed really. I just watched and forgot most of them. I particularly didn't like Peaky Blinders which was incomprehensible! And The Paradise was too sugary for me.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Between The Fall and Last Tango in Halifax for me, both featured some of the best acting, writing and direction I've seen all year, drama and its finest. They couldn't be any more different, one made my blood run cold and the other warmed my heart, but they both drew me in, keeping me glued to the tv for the whole hour and most importantly left you wanting more.

As "event tv" Broadchurch was brilliant, but looking back the writing, while good, wasn't exceptional so I personally wouldn't put it up there with my favourite dramas. I did really like it and the acting was top notch but there was always an element or two missing.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't watched them all but Ripper Street and Peaky Blinders stand out for me not least for fabulous atmosphere and attention to period detail.

Enjoyed Death in Paradise, but the joy of it isn't the case work for me-its the glorious stand-offish relationship between strait laced Richard and lovely Camille. Their slow warming friendship is fascinating to watch and it wont be half the show when he leaves.

EDIT-a quick note for the final episode of What Remains-it was like watching a Hammer horror flick. Completely unexpected but fascinating non the less.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Walking Dead
    The Bridge
    Borgen
    Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries
    Being Human
    The Blacklist
    Young Montalbano
    In The Flesh
    The Returned
    Psych
    Spiral
  • Kwazykat61Kwazykat61 Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Broadchurch
    The Returned
    By Any Means
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I enjoyed Broadchurch, looking back I'm not sure if it was genuinely good drama more than skilful scheduling.

I liked what Utopia was trying to achieve, but its unique production values were always more entertaining than the story.

I'm torn about watching Black Mirror, because while I know it's pretty much dystopic dramatic perfection, the talent show episode from the first series hit me so hard that I could never find the energy to finish the series; I don't think I'd ever felt quite so emotionally drained from a TV series before.
  • ursula321ursula321 Posts: 1,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whitechapel, I just love it.
    The Fall was good too.
    doctor who 50th
    Mrs Biggs if that was this year I cant remember.
    I love Black Mirror, White Bear in particular worried me as this could easily become reality.
    I also enjoyed Broadchurch.
  • shuraloveshuralove Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Hannibal was my favourite show of the year by a mile. Beautiful to look at, lush cinematography, fantastic acting and the gore was elegant - which I know sounds weird, but true actually.

Also loved Sleepy Hollow - unexpectedly good fun with great chemistry between the leads.

Orphan Black - Tatiana Maslany was a revelation in this.

Don't wipe gloves without tears. A drama just recently shown on BBC 4 about how AIDS impacted on a community in Sweden. Terrific performances and completely involving. Some scenes were quite upsetting though.

Just recently discovered and watched both series of Last tango in Halifax. A real joy to watch.

Broadchurch. Great to get involved in this drama. Strong performances.

The Fall. Very interesting premise and loved Gillian Anderson and Jamie Dornan's performances.
  • servelanservelan Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Peaky Blinders
    Last Tango in Halifax
    Dr Who

I watched lots of the others but the above are my favourites
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,019
    Forum Member
    I'm adding Last Tango in Halifax to my list. I'm still watching my iplayer downloads and have two episodes left. Wonderful acting, very sad, touching and poignant with moments of humour. Great series, they picked the right cast, they've been perfect, and there's been some very good writing. I'm really enjoying it so far!
  • jw2011jw2011 Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Broadchurch was the best for me, although they should have just kept it as a one off. They won't recapture the excitement of the first series no matter what they do in Series 2!
  • elle77elle77 Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Last Tango in Halifax
    Frankie
    Lightfields
    The Mill
    What Remains
    By Any Means
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Broadchurch and The Fall for me.

As the OP said, Broadchurch showed us that a single story played out over 8 weeks can still captivate and hold an audience. Too many shows these days try to cram everything into a couple of hours.

The Fall was an excellent portrayal of a serial killer - all too often in dramas they are played as super clever villains always one step ahead - when in reality they make many mistakes.
  • testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    The Tunnel
    Homeland
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    An Adventure in Space and Time as a one off drama was brilliant.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    The Walking Dead
    Lightfields
    The Fall
    Field of Blood

And ... despite its many, many flaws - I still enjoyed Downton Abbey.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Utopia was the runaway drama success of the year for me, probably the best looking and sounding drama yet made for British telly.

Others worth a mention - Howzat! Kerry Packers War, What Remains, the Returned, Ripper Street, Spiral series 4, The Bridge, Death in Paradise,

One offs - Wipers Times, Adventures in Space and Time , the Five and a half Doctors, the final BBC4 drama "Burton and Taylor"