Unhealthy packed lunch = Bad Ofsted report

Comments

• ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    I have seen them, constantly, at a school I used to work at. Oddly enough there were an awful lot of kids who had ADHD (what sane parent would give cans of non-diet cola to a child with ADHD is beyond me), or were grossly overweight, despite the advice given by the school on what constitutes a healthy diet. The school never got marked down because what was in the children's lunch boxes. It would have, if they could not demonstrate their commitment to delivering the message that healthy food was good for you.

I don't think there's any evidence to suggest the school in question were not delivering the message that a balanced diet is best.
  • JonJonBJonJonB Posts: 2,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oddly enough there were an awful lot of kids who had ADHD (what sane parent would give cans of non-diet cola to a child with ADHD is beyond me)
    What's your point with that?
  • malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newwoman wrote: »
    My son only started school 3 weeks ago but we had a list sent home of what they are not allowed to take in for lunch. This includes chocolate, biscuits, crisps, cakes, sweets and fizzy drinks.
    Anybody that sends a kid in with these items in their lunchbox is stupid, and ignorant, and does need it spelled out for them in black and white.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malaikah wrote: »
    Anybody that sends a kid in with these items in their lunchbox is stupid, and ignorant, and does need it spelled out for them in black and white.

I guess back when I was at school, my parents were stupid and ignorant then....

I always had a chocolate bar in my lunch box, I still do:D:o.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess back when I was at school, my parents were stupid and ignorant then....

I always had a chocolate bar in my lunch box, I still do:D:o.

Well there you go. There's always time for learning, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there you go. There's always time for learning, though.

I think the idea of removing chocolate, fizzy drinks, crisps and etc completely from your diet is frankly stupid, it's perfectly possible to have a balanced diet, include those items, and undertake regular exercise, and stay healthy.

And you know what, I'm going to sit here and eat an entire packet of Sainsbury's Taste the difference all butter quadruple Belgian chocolate cookies, just because I can, so there:p.
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen an OFSTED report that gave a school less points because of some child's lunchbox containing a packet of crisps? Or is it that the school was simply ignoring the advice given by DCFS, as to how to deliver the healthy living programme?

Fewer, please ;)

It does seem like an overreaction to me, but Ofsted... doesnt surprise me much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the idea of removing chocolate, fizzy drinks, crisps and etc completely from your diet is frankly stupid, it's perfectly possible to have a balanced diet, include those items, and undertake regular exercise, and stay healthy.
    Of course, that's your opinion, and you are entitled to it. But where was it suggested that these items should be removed from people's diets altogether?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, that's your opinion, and you are entitled to it. But where was it suggested that these items should be removed from people's diets altogether?

You suggested it was stupid and ignorant to have any of those items in your lunch box..:confused:..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You suggested it was stupid and ignorant to have any of those items in your lunch box..:confused:..
    Yes, that is correct. But I ask again, where was it suggested that these items be removed from people's diets altogether?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why shouldn't they be in a lunch box then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that is correct. But I ask again, where was it suggested that these items be removed from people's diets altogether?

Well, I'm confused now, you advocate removing it from lunch, but it can be allowed at other times...

Why is lunch so special:confused:?
  • Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JonJonB wrote: »
    What's your point with that?

Err....what sane parent would give cans of non-diet cola to a child with ADHD is beyond me. I think that is self explanatory.

Why are you asking? Are you saying that a parent in their right mind, would give a child with ADHD a can of full sugar cola?
  • SwarfegaSwarfega Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seriously??

I can vaguely see where a can of pop might be going wrong, or a load of chocolate.
    But a packet of hula hoops and a penguin biscuit (for example)?
    Are yoghurts considered the devil's fodder also?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is lunch so special ?
    Here's a little food for thought to digest before bedtime
    The food your child eats has a huge impact on their ability to learn, so give your kids the right nutrients to help them get through the long school day staying alert and able to concentrate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swarfega wrote: »
    But a packet of hula hoops and a penguin biscuit (for example)?
    Stuff like that is 'empty nutrition', really. Wasted food 'space'. Crap fodder, if you like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a little food for thought to digest before bedtime

Which is why breakfast is important, an it is suggested that you have something energy-releasing like porridge or toast, or something..

Personally, I'd rather have a bowl of coco-pops:D!

I don't think the occasional bar of chocolate in your lunch box is going to impact on your ability to stay alert..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ForestChav wrote: »
    Fewer, please ;)

Doh! :o You are absolutley correct. I am usually the first person to point to such a glaringly, horrendous grammatical error as that. In my defence, I cite the lateness of the hour and having to deal with a sick cat. I thank you for bringing to to my attention, ForestChav and am duly admonished. :D
    It does seem like an overreaction to me, but Ofsted... doesnt surprise me much.

On which side do you see the overreaction?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you asking?
    It sounded like you were peddling the old "sugar makes kids hyper" myth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the occasional bar of chocolate in your lunch box is going to impact on your ability to stay alert..
    Well then, it would benefit your knowledge base to do some further reading on the subject.
  • SwarfegaSwarfega Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuff like that is 'empty nutrition', really. Wasted food 'space'. Crap fodder, if you like.

It's still food and the entire packed lunch would not consist only of it.

Why should the children be fuelled as though they were some dietician's wet dream?

A decent sandwich, packet of crisps, some grapes or banana and a biccy. Box of juice. I fail to see how any child will find poverty and the onset of crack cocaine addiction as a result of a packed lunch such as this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well then, it would benefit your knowledge base to do some further reading on the subject.
    This is where "balance" comes in, which you already know, but clearly wish to keep up the act of smug superiority.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swarfega wrote: »
    I fail to see how any child will find poverty and the onset of crack cocaine addiction as a result of a packed lunch such as this.
    And where was that suggested?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is where "balance" comes in, which you already know, but clearly wish to keep up the act of smug superiority.
    Maybe, if you are interpreting my prose as 'smug superiority', then really, you are aware of the probability that my knowledge in this area is superior.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounded like you were peddling the old "sugar makes kids hyper" myth.

I am aware of the growing trend to believe that sugary drinks do not make children with ADHD more hyperactive, but that, I am afraid, is just a counter myth. Unless you have experienced a group of children with ADHD, dosed up on cola (I dare say the caffeine also plays a part) you would know the difference. My own son suffers from ADHD and he just needs a sniff of sugar to set him off.