Asus EEE Pad Transformer anyone buying one?

Comments

• sesmosesmo Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time_tells wrote: »
    I have seen this on a few forums, an subsequently seeing the reviews has made me want to get one. I ended up going to Trafford centre today, everywhere sold out, then went into Manchester city centre, and got caught up in the city parade (pure hell) all sold out as well.

So went and ordered it online only to find out that pcworld aren't going to deliver it until the 31st May, tried to cancel the order, to be told that I can't cancel the order because it hasn't been processed yet. (What the hell?)

I have found it in store at comet so will head down there tomorrow either at lunch time or after work, to get that, providing I can finally cancel the pcworld order.

I so want one of these......

I got one on Saturday. Infact this is my first post made on it. Am quite impressed, only problem is that the screen keeps getting odd lines across it. Haven't noticed it mentioned on other forums so guess its just mine. Has not done it today, but if it happens again I'll get a replacement.
  • Jamesollier18Jamesollier18 Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can any one help I started charging it up last night with both connected and left for over 8 hours the laptop section looks charged giving a green left. But nothing comes on from the screen. Have started now to charge the screen seperate I have connected the usb power adaptor to wall socket and the other end into the centre socket the screen glows a little then goes dark. There is no other sign to see if it's charged if anyone has charged just the screen section and knows if I am doing anything wrong would be greatful of tips to know the screen section is fully charged, because at the moment think I may have a faulty one. Cheers James
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can any one help I started charging it up last night with both connected and left for over 8 hours the laptop section looks charged giving a green left. But nothing comes on from the screen. Have started now to charge the screen seperate I have connected the usb power adaptor to wall socket and the other end into the centre socket the screen glows a little then goes dark. There is no other sign to see if it's charged if anyone has charged just the screen section and knows if I am doing anything wrong would be greatful of tips to know the screen section is fully charged, because at the moment think I may have a faulty one. Cheers James

Go to http://www.transformerforums.com/ and ask there, they have several experts and are very helpfull.

In the mean time have you held the start button in for 15 seconds wait 30 and try again?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not sure what the start button is there is nothing on the keyboard and as stated nothing is appearing on the screen. If anyone knows if the screen should dispaly any information reguarding charging once the usb adaptor is connected to the centre
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not sure what the start button is there is nothing on the keyboard and as stated nothing is appearing on the screen. If anyone knows if the screen should dispaly any information reguarding charging once the usb adaptor is connected to the centre

Its the power button at top on left hand side.

Download the manual from http://uk.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_TF101/#download

select download, your pc operating system, bottom of 2 manual is the english one.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I assume you have just bought the Transformer?

Nothing appears on the tablet portion of the device unless it is switched on. The on / off switch is on the left hand side at the top (assuming you haven't found it). Hold it in for at least 5 seconds and see if the ASUS icon appears.

The keyboard dock has a light next to where you plug the charger in. It flashes orangy/ red when nearly flat, then solid red as it charges and then green when fully charged.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah that part seems charged when I have placed the power connecter in without the screen on the led is green. I have had the screen charging again for over three hours now again after 8 hours thinking the pair connected together would charged both batteries last night. Have held the power button but just get a glow from the screen no Asus logo, hope the backlights have not gone or something
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Afraid that is not looking good. The tablet should still come on with the power lead attached even if it is completely flat.

One thing you could try is pressing the on off button and the up volume button just below it for 15 or 20 seconds, I understand that it the way to reset the device. Afraid if that fails you are going to have to reurn it. Only good news is that the keyboard dock seems to be OK and they are presently harder to get than the tablet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just had a look at the power adaptor looks like that has just givin up nice and early not lighting the keypad as a look to see it that was alright. Got it from ebuyer.com they are really good on exchanges so will have to send it back. was really looking forward to using it tonight. Anway least have found the fault
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I should really not have had a go on one of these yesterday! Fast, responsive and beautiful. I wanted to buy one there and then.

Shame I can't justify spending £370 on one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just an update on mine turned out it was a display issue and got my replacement yesterday love it great bit of tech fantastic viewing angels fab display and the software with touch. Firmware update first up fixing bugs and making video camera even better. oh yes and flash
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    I should really not have had a go on one of these yesterday! Fast, responsive and beautiful. I wanted to buy one there and then.

Shame I can't justify spending £370 on one.

Just do what I did if you can put a little aside soon mounts up
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just an update on mine turned out it was a display issue and got my replacement yesterday love it great bit of tech fantastic viewing angels fab display and the software with touch. Firmware update first up fixing bugs and making video camera even better. oh yes and flash

Good to hear you finally up and running!

App recommendations to try:

Dolphin HD - An alternative browser that is slicker than the stock one.

Plume - If you are into twitter.

News360 - A news app that looks stunning.
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    I didn't really NEED a tablet, but after reading the great reviews for this one I took the plunge. Its early days, but this tablet is quality, and whips similar tablets in performance benchmarks:
    http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Asus-Eee-Pad-Transformer-Android-30-Tablet-Review/?page=4
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just do what I did if you can put a little aside soon mounts up

I'm thinking on doing that. However, I could probably spend that £370 on something much more useful and beneficial...

I'll need to go back and have a proper go on one and see what I can get out of it. I have an Android 2.2 phone at the minute so I wouldn't really be gaining anything that I don't already have [allbeit on a smaller screen].

I think I'd get an Android Tablet if they had more Apps that were native to Honeycomb.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the situation with these?

I bricked my Vega yesterday after replacing a broken LCD - the connection for the capacitive sensor just snapped off! Grrr!

I've been looking at the Transformer as a replacement, and the indications are since the upgrade to 3.1 they're a lot more reliable.

Worth it... or get another Vega and flash Vegacomb?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supposedly its now the number two selling tablet.

However Tegra 3 tablets may well be on sale in August.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think tegra 3 is going to be until much later this year and god knows what the price is going to be.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Thanks to this thread, the reviews and owner's reviews on Amazon I've gone out and bought one.

It's the 16GB version with no 3G (I've got an Android phone and a 3 Mifi modem).

It's charging at the moment so not using it yet.

A couple of questions.

What is the biggest micro-SD card it can take?

If I'm away on holiday and want to transfer pictures to the device what is the best way to do it (camera uses SD card)?

I'll no doubt be back with others. :)
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It definitely works with 32gb micro SDHC, don't know about SDXC format cards.

For transferring photos, you can use the SD card slot in the keyboard or use a SD to USB convertor which you can pick up for a few quid.
    Forum Member
    Hmm - didn't get the keyboard.

Looking on ebay for 32GB class 10 cards they seem to vary from under £10 to around £40. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I'm away on holiday and want to transfer pictures to the device what is the best way to do it (camera uses SD card)?

Buy a MicroSD card that comes with an SD card adapter, something like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Komputerbay-MicroSD-Microsdhc-Adapter-SanDisk/dp/B003ZTCBZ0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1311425011&sr=8-4

Put the MicroSD card in the adapter and use it in your camera, then to transfer the photos put the MicroSD in your Transformer.
    Forum Member
    I've already got SDHC cards for my camera and camcorder.

Is there an adapter that would plug into the micro SD slot on the Transformer that would read the SD cards?

I'm beginning to think I should have got the keyboard dock as well.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone considered the AMD Fusion Windows 7 tablets?

I'm currently left thinking that many non sales businessmen are going to feel limited in the extreme with anything else. Funnily enough the graphics are probably 400%+ more powerful too.

http://blogs.amd.com/fusion/2011/05/31/a-new-visual-computing-experience-for-tablets/ (note that I think of any tablet without a keyboard as a daft idea for most serious usage)
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think something like Asus EEE Transformer running Windows 8 could be interesting. I am not a big fan of Android.