Options

Never Left Britain

Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I watched almost all of this on Sky 1 Tuesday night, I missed the opening 2-3 minutes.
It featured a couple from somewhere up north, Rochdale?, Burnley? who had never been on holiday outside the U.K.
They went, or were sent, on a week's trip to Morocco, Marrakech principally.
The lady, Jeannie, was initially nervously apprehensive, but was really up for trying the local cous cous and tagines when they went for dinner on their first night.
She was keen on discovering the local culture and wasn't too pleased at the street entertainers with snakes and monkeys, saying that the animals should be in the wild, not in Marrakech main square, for the entertainment of tourists.
Her partner, Tommy, seemed unwilling to take the trip before they went, "Why go abroad?
It's full of Johnny Foreigners, you can't oonderstand a bloody word they're saying."
He softened after a couple of days when he saw how much Jeannie enjoyed it, promising to try other places as she liked it so much being outside the U.K.
But when they phoned the kids back home every day or two, all he really wanted to know was how Man City were doing!
I'm unsure if this was a one-off, or if they'll be more, but I hope there will be.
I tried to recall my first reaction to going abroad, was I like these two, looking around in disbelief at strange sights?
Then I remembered, I was a lot younger when I first travelled around, and maybe you see things differently through younger eyes.