Iphone 6/6 plus first impressions

Comments

• kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    ONLY if you believe that fast charging is always bad, and that the phone (or more importantly, the battery) can't regulate things properly. And that phones haven't had the necessary tech to allow faster charging for some time, with Qualcomm now on its second and third versions.

Most of my power supplies are 1.5 to 2A, and they charge everything fine. I can't imagine how awful it would be having to charge at 0.4A, which is lower than even a USB port can provide.

Who even makes PSUs that bad these days?

The advice to use 400mah to charge a phone with a large battery is plain silly.

I assume he is actually talking about using a 500mah USB charger and allowing for loss. However, you would just spend forever waiting for the phone to charge.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My phone has a 3,200mAh battery. Imagine charging that at 0.4-0.5A! And what about my portable battery chargers, one of which is 9000mAh? Or indeed my portable battery that can charge a MacBook, and is 14,000mAh?
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My phone has a 3,200mAh battery. Imagine charging that at 0.4-0.5A! And what about my portable battery chargers, one of which is 9000mAh? Or indeed my portable battery that can charge a MacBook, and is 14,000mAh?

Don't laugh, that is the 'advice' AW has given in the past:)

Good news is you will get plenty of sleep whilst doing your 'overnight' charge;-)
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Don't laugh, that is the 'advice' AW has given in the past:)

Good news is you will get plenty of sleep whilst doing your 'overnight' charge;-)

He probably means an overnight charge when on Venus...
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding battery life, can I just ask is it true that you should unplug your iPhone as soon as it reaches 100%? The battery on my iPhone 5 is terrible...I wonder if this si due to me charging it overnight. Surely by now Apple should have made it so that the phoen automatically stops charging once it gets to 100%.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I destroyed a battery on an old MacBook Pro by keeping it plugged in, but Apple replaced it. No such problems on my MBA or any other phone always left on charge or in a dock.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding battery life, can I just ask is it true that you should unplug your iPhone as soon as it reaches 100%? The battery on my iPhone 5 is terrible...I wonder if this si due to me charging it overnight. Surely by now Apple should have made it so that the phoen automatically stops charging once it gets to 100%.
    No, it's not true.

Batteries age. The more you use the phone, the more you charge/discharge, the shorter the battery life will be.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first impressions were that the 6S is way too big for me, the 6 would take a bit of getting used to, that it felt good to hold, but that they were a bit on the glossy side. So if they can make the 7 a bit less glossy, sort out the lines across the back which do detract from the overall design, then design wise they'll be there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you think it's too big, just fold it in half. Sorted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    No, it's not true.

Batteries age. The more you use the phone, the more you charge/discharge, the shorter the battery life will be.

When I took my MacBook to Apple they could see how it had been charged, when it was first used, how many charge cycles etc.

Clearly they've fixed things so you don't slowly kill your battery when it's left powered after reaching 100%. Some phones stop charging at 100% and don't restart until you drop to 95% or so, which is good except you obviously can't guarantee you'll pick it up fully charged.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... ..And that phones haven't had the necessary tech to allow faster charging for some time,...
    You likely mean(or do you mean anything?) that it part charges and then goes on a go slow at cooking point..

That would lessen damage too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you keep going on about cooking points? Fast charging doesn't mean the battery is roasted!

The temperature is monitored constantly. Every battery has the necessary hardware to make this possible fitted inside.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..The temperature is monitored constantly. Every battery has the necessary hardware to make this possible fitted inside.
    Yes, so that you get an 'adequate' number of charges. If the phone was 'hot' you would have lost near 50% capacity in 6 months.

My 2800mah battery lasts me close to two days.Its on charge now at 400mah, and still giving the same battery life nearly 2 years later.

Shareholders love you lot, or is that the point?
  • dabotsonlinedabotsonline Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I do think the Galaxy Note 4 is the first phone to support the next-generation fast charging from Qualcomm, which takes things to a new level in speed.

Are you aware if any of the Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 chargers have started shipping yet?

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapdragon/2014/06/04/quick-charge-20-has-arrived
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only know of the Note 4, and it's a shame it hadn't appeared in more devices this year.

It must be down to cost, with manufacturers turning down the option to have it and supply a better PSU in the box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2014/06/04/qualcomm-quick-charge-20-technology-available-japan-through-ntt-docomo-2014

"Quick Charge 2.0 delivers up to 60 watts, not only improving charge times for smartphones and tablets" (but helping the battery replacement industry out too- my words).

So where's all the 'we don't destroy batteries quicker' data or did they just settle on having a fangle dangle trademark ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's your data? Qualcomm has worked on its quick charging technology for many years. You keep saying batteries will be fried.

I'd sooner trust Qualcomm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's your data? Qualcomm has worked on its quick charging technology for many years. You keep saying batteries will be fried.
    I'd sooner trust Qualcomm.
    I was going by established and widely published facts. I'm old enough to know that when there is nothing written on the packet, it means there is mainly spin.

http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=guide_bpw2_c04_08

Read that. If you have a logical mind you might even spot the paragraph that more than strongly hints what Qualcomm is doing and a factor that makes the battery degrade.

I'm not helping you further. I bet you still buy 1000 hour light bulbs .
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    Sometimes I wonder about villages missing their idiots.

They probably charge their batteries using a solar panel by moonlight...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edit - deleted. sorry I posted above too in the wrong tab/thread.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Here's intersting after having used it for a few days.

It's too thin!

Odd comment I know. But the size of it (quite large) coupled with it being thin and having shiny rounded edges means several times when I've picked it up its slipped out of my hand (fortunatley onto the desk) but worries me for any future accident potential
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Here's intersting after having used it for a few days.

It's too thin!

Odd comment I know. But the size of it (quite large) coupled with it being thin and having shiny rounded edges means several times when I've picked it up its slipped out of my hand (fortunatley onto the desk) but worries me for any future accident potential

Buy a case for it if you are worried about dropping it.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    But the size of it (quite large) coupled with it being thin and having shiny rounded edges means several times when I've picked it up its slipped out of my hand (fortunatley onto the desk) but worries me for any future accident potential

The official cases in either leather or silicon make a dramatic difference. Even the 6 is so much bigger than the 5 that I've had to learn how to hold the phone a different way so I was convinced I would drop it. Got the black leather case, and its solid now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    The official cases in either leather or silicon make a dramatic difference. Even the 6 is so much bigger than the 5 that I've had to learn how to hold the phone a different way so I was convinced I would drop it. Got the black leather case, and its solid now.

I have the silicone case and agree with the above. It's expensive but fits very nicely and makes it feel much safer to hold. Doesn't increase the thickness too dramatically either.

Unfortunately, with a case you lose the nice benefit of the screen sloping downwards at the edges. This design makes swipe gestures much easier and more natural, but you cancel that out with a case.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Anyone posted this yet?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCln9_mgZJo
    Apologies if someone already has.