Options

Benifits of a Sports massage

jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I do a lot of running and have been struggling with a slight leg injury lately. Was advised to get a sports massage. Not had one before and wasn't sure I really wanted to spend my hard earned cash on one.

Anyway bit the bullet and had a sports massage tonight and must admit it was a £35 well spent for one hour relaxing whilst a lovely young lady rubbed her hands up and down my legs and back.

I'm doing the British 10K in London on Sunday so shall see if the massage has benefited me in any way at all.

Anyone else here had a massage before and benefited from it?

Comments

• Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    yup = I got more than a massage !
  • Options
    Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,484
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote: »
    yup = I got more than a massage !

How much?
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaimesw wrote: »
    a lovely young lady rubbed her hands up and down my legs and back.
    That doesn't sound like a sports massage. I used to go for one every month and no-one relaxes during a sports massage. Not unless they die part way through.

There's nothing relaxing about someone using their body weight to dig into your back with their elbow.

:)
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £35 for a quick rub down? Hell, you should have paid £50 and had one off the 'special menu'. They're the best massages, sports or otherwise.
  • Options
    Jimmy the GentJimmy the Gent Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a proper sports massage done years ago by one of the trainers in a boxing gym. He clicked every joint in my body and finished on my spine.

At first it felt like I'd been roughed up. Even my head was spinning. But over the next few days I felt great.

I had him do it because I'd been getting loads of silly injuries playing football. Little pulls, strains and sprains. It seemed to sort all that out.
  • Options
    jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    That doesn't sound like a sports massage. I used to go for one every month and no-one relaxes during a sports massage. Not unless they die part way through.

There's nothing relaxing about someone using their body weight to dig into your back with their elbow.

:)

I have a very high pain threshold.

She did use her elbows and forearms as well. But she was only a tiny thing. Had it been some big bloke/woman I'm sure I'd be in pain!
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never had a sports massage but I have had a body massage (at Harrods 'cos I'm cool like that :o) and it was really good for injuries! I'd hurt my leg a few days earlier at kickboxing (nothing serious but just aching when I walked) and although it hurt when she was doing it, it was so much better afterwards!
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaimesw wrote: »
    I have a very high pain threshold.

She did use her elbows and forearms as well. But she was only a tiny thing. Had it been some big bloke/woman I'm sure I'd be in pain!
    Ah, lucky you. I will say that the after glow from the massage was great but I suspect it was mostly relief after the abuse :)

The worst bit was actually my forearms. I'm a programmer so my forearm muscles get quite tense. She used to finish off running the back of her forearm up the front of mine. Ye Gods! It felt like my arm was on fire. After she'd done it a couple of times there'd be a sudden rush of real heat as the blood rushed into the loosened muscles.