Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And is if by magic.... its Jonathan Portes.........again.
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And is if by magic.... its Jonathan Portes.........again.

Doesn't he write for the Guardian ? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Don't you know who I am? I've hosted 606!"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't he write for the Guardian ? :)

Yep. He is an old leftie.
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Steph McGovern

A lighter note on 5 live Drive tonight. Steph McGovern came on and reported that one of her listeners in the Tyneside area had sent her a quite respectful letter, enclosing a £20 note so that she could get some elocution lessons.

It would have cost him a fortune if he sent one to all of 5 lives awful throaty women, which is most of them. Anna "haha" Foster was at her gushing best telling Steph that she had a lovely voice.
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio 5live embarassed itself again tonight with the choice of Robbie Savage as summariser for the Man City versus Bayern Munich match. He shot his mouth off about how badly Manuel Pellegrini was managing Man City.

The result? Man City 3 Bayern Munich 2

Sadly Robbie savage on his past track record will learn nothing.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Steph McGovern

A lighter note on 5 live Drive tonight. Steph McGovern came on and reported that one of her listeners in the Tyneside area had sent her a quite respectful letter, enclosing a £20 note so that she could get some elocution lessons.

It would have cost him a fortune if he sent one to all of 5 lives awful throaty women, which is most of them. Anna "haha" Foster was at her gushing best telling Steph that she had a lovely voice.

I don't know how the bbc can employ someone with a regional accent. It's disgracefull. Everyone at the bbc should learn to speak properly or not at all. What is the world coming to. They'll be employing black people next.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    They'll be employing black people next.

They only employ one on 5live and they plonk him on the graveyard shift.

So much for BBC ,much talked about, diversity targets.:)
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to try and catch the Lewis interviews on catch up...anyone know which shows he was on yesterday?
    Be interested to see if any presenter was actually knowledgeable or if they had to draft in Allen (j) or Gow as it isn't related to footballers...I'll be shocked if they didn't manage to have squeezed a tiresome soccer reference or question somewhere... :( which I absolutely hate... grrrrr...>:(
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Watch one and you have seen them all. Might not be the same questions but Lewis tells the same story regardless.
  • Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. He is an old leftie.

Never heard of Mister Portes before this post so looked him up on Google. I think dismissing him as an old Leftie given what looks like an impressive career demonstrates the very lazy stereotyping you and others regularly accuse 5 live of doing.

Steph McGovern is from Middlesbrough. People on Tyneside regularly depict those from Teesside as smoggies. There is nothing wrong with Steph's accent or Anna Foster's for that matter.
  • Options
    radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Was it me or was The Ego at his most annoying this morning.

All the assembled gang seem duty bound to laugh at his blatantly unfunny comments.

And what's all this about Ven diagrams...is there not something else he could be doing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Watch one and you have seen them all. Might not be the same questions but Lewis tells the same story regardless.

yes I know gomezz but it makes a decent change from soccer endlessly pored over and I like to enjoy the moment...thoroughly enjoyed hearing the anthem on sunday as well as the general celebration wouldn't have been the same if another one was playing so I'm enjoying the coverage on various places..audio and video :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to have stop listening to the good Bishop and left wing barmpot ,Stephen '' I'm alright jack '' Lowe ,doing the paper review for fear of my blood pressure going through the roof. I thought at first that he was a wind up merchant but the frightening thing is,is that I think he actually believes the garbage he comes out with. Last night his solution for healing the state of the economy was for the government to reassess and raise housing council tax bands and impose 3 weekly wheelie bin collections because most of his waste is recycled !
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five Live must be hard up with the budget having John Barnes on. It's like waiting for the paint to dry. This forum on five is getting very quiet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five Live must be hard up with the budget having John Barnes on. It's like waiting for the paint to dry. This forum on five is getting very quiet.

You'd have thought with the scheduled hanges there would be plenty to discuss but it seems to have bored people even more than before..... :(
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    You'd have thought with the scheduled hanges there would be plenty to discuss but it seems to have bored people even more than before..... :(

Yes strange that... I am enjoying Peter allen's show, however can't take to Adrian chiles. Unfortunately, my "dial" at night is on Lbc. Dutton is pony and rhod is tired and stale. Our dial tends to remain on Lbc until it's safe to return after the ego's stint.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to have stop listening to the good Bishop and left wing barmpot ,Stephen '' I'm alright jack '' Lowe ,doing the paper review for fear of my blood pressure going through the roof. I thought at first that he was a wind up merchant but the frightening thing is,is that I think he actually believes the garbage he comes out with. Last night his solution for healing the state of the economy was for the government to reassess and raise housing council tax bands and impose 3 weekly wheelie bin collections because most of his waste is recycled !

I can't abide him either !
  • Options
    streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member

While I did moan about VD and Bacon I have to admit the station is more bland now, particularly in the afternoons. Mornings are an improvement on VDs misery slot, I don't mind Adrian most of the time but he can't do sympathy - not sure if it is his accent but when he has to do a misery topic he just doesn't sound interested.

Afternoon Edition seems to drag, there isn't enough content included to fill three hours. They stretch out interviews for too long normally with third rate guests, it needs to be more of a magazine format with more features, more focused segments and shorter interviews. The listeners problems feature (should I shave off my beard, go on a technology detox etc.) is just crap filler you would not even have got from Bacon. Dan Walker needs to calm down and stop acting like an over excited kid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    I can't abide him either !

Its amazing that as a supposedly religious person, how Lowe appears to be filled with hate and anger.
  • Options
    chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    religious extremists are some of the most hate-filled and angry people around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes strange that... I am enjoying Peter allen's show, however can't take to Adrian chiles. Unfortunately, my "dial" at night is on Lbc. Dutton is pony and rhod is tired and stale. Our dial tends to remain on Lbc until it's safe to return after the ego's stint.

Likewise.... really at the moment...I do have LBC on when I can in daytime & evening switch to Simon Lederman on BBC London & leave on all night...

I couldn't listen to James max on LBC but on the odd morning I wake up he seems to have garnered a troop of loons who call in & he often loses it as they are so barking he collapses in hysterics.... it is quite entertaining ....

I wake up with penny Smith... (Oh if only that was a true statement) ;) for an hour then at 7 it's Nick Ferrari who manages a breakfast show on his own every day quite happily....

I find I'm only on 5 for the film programme and qt extra if I can bear Nolan once a week that is...

It's gone from almost so dire it caused us to get agitated over poor presenters to now ones so bland and corporate they don't warrant discussion or engage anyone....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I find I'm only on 5 for the film programme and qt extra...

I too am a fan of the film show and have listened to it for almost the entire run, but I only ever listen to the podcast. I sometimes get a chance to listen live, but I tend to turn it off and actually prefer to listen the recorded programme. That way I can skip all the news, traffic, sport etc and just get the wittertainment.

The podcast seems to be getting more and more important to the show and there are often references to it in the live show, extra reviews that are put in there in the end plus over the last year or more, there has been extra communication and added bits before and after the live show. As a live listener to the show, I wonder how you feel about the extra parts not in the live show, does it detract from your listen? Have you considered the podcast as an alternative to tuning in live?

The podcast is doing some extraordinary numbers... I think they have 1.5million downloads in October and 76% increase year-on-year.

Podcasting seems to be getting more prevalent again even though some were predicting its downfall only recently.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member

I only wish that I could get DAB radio. Nicky Campbell was once again going on about how wonderful Digital radio is, but it is impossible to receive where I am. ( In the centre of a big city like Nottingham) If I can get it , it is very poor reception , and have to stick the aerial out of the window. So don't go claiming it is so good. I bought another DAB radio thinking that it might work, but it doesn't, so I cannot hear 5 Sports extra. I have no problem getting Radio 4 long wave, they ought to put sport on that channel
This discussion has been closed.