Options

National Lottery ticket price increase

FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,851
Forum Member
I heard on the 2 o'clock news today that the price of a National Lottery ticket will increase by 100% in the autumn to £2.00 per ticket, the first ever increase since its inception in 1994

How on earth are they able to justify such a huge increase? The smaller prizes will increase which is good news but surely people are likely to buy less tickets.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what the email I have received said.

With all these stores closing and now this, 2013 hasn't been the best of starts.

Apparently winnings will increase too.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member
    FM Lover wrote: »
    I heard on the 2 o'clock news today that the price of a National Lottery ticket will increase by 100% in the autumn to £2.00 per ticket, the first ever increase since its inception in 1994

How on earth are they able to justify such a huge increase? The smaller prizes will increase which is good news but surely people are likely to buy less tickets.

I'd say the fact it was the same price for almost two decades inspite of inflation putting the price of almost everything else up is probably reason enough.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not even like they can justify it with inflation.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »
    That's what the email I have received said.

With all these stores closing and now this, 2013 hasn't been the best of starts.

Apparently winnings will increase too.
    One thing is for sure, the additional winnings will be much less than their additional income.
  • Options
    whatsername235whatsername235 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Hopefully then, the jackpot & other prizes will increase. I think a lot of people stopped playing because they just didn't have the draw of a huge jackpot as we used to. Regularly used to be a significant amount more. Look at the euromillions, whenever it's a silly amount people throw money at them. If the jackpots don't go up though, load of nonsense.
  • Options
    Colin HuntColin Hunt Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    Been expecting that for a while. The main lottery has been £1 per line since it started!
    No great surprise.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Less tickets sold yes, but the income from the lost sales is made up by the price increase the ones that continue to play contribute. Factor that into less small prizes being won and they're onto a winner.
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    I'd say the fact it was the same price for almost two decades inspite of inflation putting the price of almost everything else up is probably reason enough.

I agree here, however have the prize amounts increased since 1994?

If they're doubling the price of ticket, then they need to increase the prizes too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully then, the jackpot & other prizes will increase. I think a lot of people stopped playing because they just didn't have the draw of a huge jackpot as we used to. Regularly used to be a significant amount more. Look at the euromillions, whenever it's a silly amount people throw money at them. If the jackpots don't go up though, load of nonsense.

You're paying twice as much for the same chance of winning a little more.

Not worth it IMO.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I would have thought £1.50 would be more appropriate, but nobody loses out. there will still be the same amount of money returned to players.
    It's not even like they can justify it with inflation.
    There has been 70% inflation since 1994.

in line with inflation the ticket price would be £1.70, so £2 is probably reasonable since they have been behind for a while and there wont be another increase for years.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it will affect syndicates, won't it - or players who just want 1 ticket.

I only do euromillions anyway.
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colin Hunt wrote: »
    Been expecting that for a while. The main lottery has been £1 per line since it started!
    No great surprise.

They need to increase the £10 for three numbers to something like £20 then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dare Devil wrote: »

If they're doubling the price of ticket, then they need to increase the prizes too.

Not worth it IMO.

Obviously the prizes will go up.

By law the national lottery returns 50% of it's sales in prize money.

either all the prizes will double, or they'll fiddle with it, say by introducing a new bonus ball or something to increase odds of winning.

it's the same as buying two tickets. it's not a scam.

the lottery's mandate is to raise money for good causes. obviously for the same number of players the value of the money they raise has nearly halved since 1994.
  • Options
    2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the point in putting the price up? That just means every player pays more so the big winner wins even more. :confused:
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully then, the jackpot & other prizes will increase. I think a lot of people stopped playing because they just didn't have the draw of a huge jackpot as we used to.

Yep - the jackpots used to be around the 6-8 million mark at the start - now down to around 2.

£2 million these days wont buy anything like what it would have done at the start of the lottery in 1994 - the value has reduced significantly due to inflation (winning £2 million in 1994, would be equivalent to winning £3.2 million now).
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    They need to increase the £10 for three numbers to something like £20 then.

It'll probably go to £15. I can't see it going to £20.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I would have thought £1.50 would be more appropriate, but nobody loses out. there will still be the same amount of money returned to players.

There has been 70% inflation since 1994.

in line with inflation the ticket price would be £1.70, so £2 is probably reasonable since they have been behind for a while and there wont be another increase for years.

Yes but inflation doesn't affect the fact that you still win a million for £1 bet.

A million may not be worth the same now because of inflation, but it is still a million.

Unless they are making the prize +70%.

But I'd still rather pay £1 than £2 for the same chance of winning a large amount.
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    Dare Devil wrote: »

Apart from the fixed minimum prize of £10, surely the others have always been calculated in terms of the total amount of money from ticket sales. Also depending of course on the number of winners at each level.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the point in putting the price up? That just means every player pays more so the big winner wins even more. :confused:

Since the odds will stay the same - the lower prizes should also increase by a comparable amount.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently it's going to £25, more than double.

But who cares about that? I play it for the big win, and justify the "idiot tax" because it's something that happens with little input from myself, is cheap, and a percentage goes towards charity and good causes.

It shouldn't be turned into a gambler's game.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £2 a ticket :0 I,m glad I only have 1 set of numbers I use, I often buy a lucky dip but I,ll stop that .. I guess a lot of people will, I started doing the Irish lottery its something like 80p and if you get 3 numbers its something like £350 you can win ... big difference to ours
  • Options
    CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a piss take. To do one line per draw will cost £16 a month.
    The price of a lotto line will increase from £1 to £2 in the autumn, but the prize for matching three numbers will rise from £10 to £25.

However, the prize pot for matching five numbers will drop by £500 to £1,000, while the reward for matching five numbers and the bonus number will halve to £50,000.

The prize for matching four numbers will increase from £60 to £100

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/16/national-lottery-autumn-doubles-fee

Doesn't justify the rise IMO.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

Not worth it IMO.

Has it ever been worth it? Gambling is a mugs game.

And presumably, the "match 3" prize will now be £20, so it's just increasing stakes and prizes by a factor of two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes but inflation doesn't affect the fact that you still win a million for £1 bet.

A million may not be worth the same now because of inflation, but it is still a million.

Unless they are making the prize +70%.

But I'd still rather pay £1 than £2 for the same chance of winning a large amount.

the odds stay the same. the stake goes up. it's not about inflation eroding the value of the prizes so much as the value of the money raised for good causes.

imagine if the lottery had been launched in the 70's, tickets would have been 10p, the jackpot would be £100,000. it has to change.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »
    Apparently it's going to £25, more than double.

So that's slightly better then (10-1 payout to 12.5-1) still a lot less than the actual odds of getting 3 numbers though...