Sara Cox Joins Radio 2

13»

Comments

• darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AL89 wrote: »
    I don't wish to appear rude but what planet are you on. I don't know how she has held her job for so long on national radio.
    She might sound good in Bolton but do me a favour its not a pretty sound

So true.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Radio 2 will eventually introduce Sounds Of the 90's show? Chris Moyles or Scott Mills could host? :)
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,668
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    I wonder if Radio 2 will eventually introduce Sounds Of the 90's show? Chris Moyles or Scott Mills could host? :)

Unlikely for sometime yet, maybe in ten years or so but certainly not yet.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sara Cox would be better doing a 90's programme.

Shame they could not have dragged Mark Goodier in for an 80's show.
  • AL89AL89 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sara Cox would be better doing a 90's programme.

Shame they could not have dragged Mark Goodier in for an 80's show.

or even Bruno Brooks
  • PaulEvansDorsetPaulEvansDorset Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't wish to appear rude but what planet are you on. I don't know how she has held her job for so long on national radio.
    She might sound good in Bolton but do me a favour its not a pretty sound
    darkisland wrote: »
    So true.

It never ceases to amaze me how people criticise regional accents that are 'north of the border' but welcome the voices of chavvy barrow boys from the London suburbs who sound like Ali G.
    Double standards, revealing an attitude that is more parochial than the origins of the voice they seem to have it in for.
    I'd rather listen to clever, articulate and funny people like Sara Cox or Danny Baker than a dim but well-connected public school toff.
  • ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    or even Bruno Brooks

I'm not sure Bruno was ever that interested in the music he was playing. My choice would have been Janice Long. Alternatively, I'd suggest getting David Jensen: he hosted chart shows on TV and radio in the 80s but also had a interest in new music at the time. He'd have brought the same sort of approach as Johnnie Walker and Brian Matthew. My fear, if that's not too strong a word, is that this is just going to be a Heart-style 'School Disco' show.
  • AL89AL89 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It never ceases to amaze me how people criticise regional accents that are 'north of the border' but welcome the voices of chavvy barrow boys from the London suburbs who sound like Ali G.
    Double standards, revealing an attitude that is more parochial than the origins of the voice they seem to have it in for.
    I'd rather listen to clever, articulate and funny people like Sara Cox or Danny Baker than a dim but well-connected public school toff.

my we hit a nerve. Far from it the articulate clever and entertaining is what I'm after but I find Ms Cox none of those and should stay on Radio 1 where I feel she has a better target audience for her style of broadcasting.
  • 11071107 Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Will be interesting for sure in a few decades.

What would a David Jacobs, Richard Spendlove, Keith Skues or Paul Barnes playlist look like?
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like Sara Cox's breakfast show, but she has matured into a likeable presenter and a move to Radio 2 would suit her as she's well into her thirties now. It does strike me when DJs move over, they seem more relaxed and not having to be down with the kids all the time and pretending to like music they probably wouldn't listen to.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,668
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I didn't like Sara Cox's breakfast show, but she has matured into a likeable presenter and a move to Radio 2 would suit her as she's well into her thirties now. It does strike me when DJs move over, they seem more relaxed and not having to be down with the kids all the time and pretending to like music they probably wouldn't listen to.

She will actually be 40 next year (albeit in December 2014) so she is in the age group of Radio 2's target audience for sure.

I'm sure that she would have been bopping away at kiddie's discos in the 80's and of course the late 80's would have been the start of her teenage years so on reflection I think she's fairly well qualified for the show and I look forward it it.
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pathetic choice, I want to hear someone who was around during the the 80's music scene, someone who can share an anecdote of the personalities of the time, someone who was more than a teenager when the decade ended and someone who was broadcasting at the time.

Brian Matthew, and Johnny Walker fit that bill why change it? As someone said has already commented we seem to have lost a generation.

Another Shennan cop out and let down.....
  • Gaz112Gaz112 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    Agree with others - Sounds Of The 80s is a great idea, but not sure Sara Cox will bring the right approach.

I wait to be proved wrong.

Of course, Sounds Of The 60s started in 1983, so Sounds Of The 90s would not be out of place.......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    my we hit a nerve. Far from it the articulate clever and entertaining is what I'm after but I find Ms Cox none of those and should stay on Radio 1 where I feel she has a better target audience for her style of broadcasting.

I tend to agree, perhaps this choice is a sad reflection that Radio 2 is now moving away from articulate intellegent presenters who know about the music they are playing to ones that just spout waffle and press the next button.

When you think of the many iconic radio presenters around in the eighties, Andy Peebles, Annie Nightingale, Kid Jensen, Richard Skinner, Janice Long, Mike Read and yes Gary Davies or Pat Sharp - Any of these would of been more in tune with the decade - perhaps I will be proved wrong and Sara will be perfect - I doubt it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Sara would be ok presenting this sort of show on a Saturday night. If she's mellowed in recent years & not a loudmouth like she was on R1 then she should be ok. I feel that if she was to present a daily show, then 6 Music would be better for her.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    or even Bruno Brooks

Yes let's drag all the bland talent in .