Options

Father Ted

Comments

• Options
    Red-EyeRed-Eye Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Rugby Rose wrote: »
    I've got that new box set. I haven't got round to watching the extras yet but apparently they include:-

Father Ted Comedy Connections (?)
    Interviews with writers and creators
    Comic Relief with Ted and Dougal
    Tedfest 2007: A Very Ted Weekend
    Tedfest 2007: Two Tribes Go To War

Plus commentaries on all three series.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I...Want...IT:cry:!!!!!

(slaps self)

Stop it Red-Eye! Don't be so greedy:o!

Must...Resist...New...Boxset:cry:!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gentle bun wrote: »
    Is there nothing to be said for another Mass?

When Dougal is the milk float and Ted and 2 priests drive by in a lorry saying Mass - classic.

*After a few scenes of Ted and the 2 other Priests carrying out a lot of planning of how they're going to save Dougal*

Ted: "That's the best idea?"

Mass Loving Priest: "It's the best idea we've come up with."

Ted: "Another Mass?! That's the best idea?!"

*Another Mass written on the Blackboard*

Mass Loving Priest: "Well I thought the first one went rather well!"

ROTFLMAO:p:D!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Say, do any of you remember the rumour about the American Version of "Father Ted"? Ted was to be played by a more younger guy, Jack slightly younger, Dougal was to be from a rough area in New York whose into Hip-Hop and proves not to be as thick as people may think and Mrs. Doyle would instead be Ted's Ex-Wife who also also has a 5 year old son with Ted and Ted would "hilariously" be constantly hiding them both from Bishop Brennan.

Thankfully it turned out that it was only an April Fool's joke but I do remember being pretty p*ssed off about it at the time:o.
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    Red-Eye wrote: »
    *After a few scenes of Ted and the 2 other Priests carrying out a lot of planning of how they're going to save Dougal*

Ted: "That's the best idea?"

Mass Loving Priest: "It's the best idea we've come up with."

Ted: "Another Mass?! That's the best idea?!"

*Another Mass written on the Blackboard*

Mass Loving Priest: "Well I thought the first one went rather well!"

ROTFLMAO:p:D!!!!!

Or the one a little later - when Ted stands up and does what looks like a really complicated technical drawing and just writes "We put a brick on the accelerator."

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    :)

Yes, Father Ted's great - I'd rate it up there with Fawlty Towers. I saw the episode a few days ago where Father Ted became a racist! What are the chances of there being an exactly square piece of dirt on the window?! Classic!
  • Options
    TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    "I ... see. Hmm. I can't help noticing that this is all German memorabilia. You, you don't have any, well, English or American stuff at all?"

"Ah God no, Ted! I wouldn't be interested in that at all!"

:D:D:D
  • Options
    TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    God I Love Sayin' Mass!!! :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Richie1001 wrote: »
    Or the one a little later - when Ted stands up and does what looks like a really complicated technical drawing and just writes "We put a brick on the accelerator."

And then later Ted saves Dougal by putting the brick on the accelerator.

Dougal: *Lifts up the brick*"Ted! You forgot your brick!"

Ted: "PUT IT BACK! PUT IT BACK!"

Don't get me wrong I love Dougal to bits but I do feel like slapping him sometimes:D.
    RTyler wrote: »

Yes, Father Ted's great - I'd rate it up there with Fawlty Towers. !

I was born Mid-80's so I never saw "Fawlty Towers" but then when has that stopped me from watching older stuff anyway. My friend has seen it though and she tells me if I love "Father Ted" then I'll also love "Fawlty Towers" and considering "Father Ted" is my favorite Comedy Series of all time (with "Black Adder" coming in very close 2nd) it sounds good to me already:). I'm just going to borrow the DVD of her to watch it.
    RTyler wrote: »
    I saw the episode a few days ago where Father Ted became a racist! What are the chances of there being an exactly square piece of dirt on the window?! Classic!

ROTFLMAO:p:D!!!!! Awwwww poor Ted! He makes an innocent little joke that got out of hand and the more he tried to prove he isn't a racist the worse the situation got through no fault of his own. I really felt for him here.

BTW I watched "The Tentacles Of Doom" the other day and this Quote from Ted got to me a bit.

Ted: "Heart attack eh? Well that's rare these days."

Sad bit of irony there considering that Quote came from him:(.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Pat Mustard would like to put his massive tool in my box"

I am giggling as I type that!

<<
    Don't know if this is true but apparently the orginal ending was that Kevin (the depressed Priest) goes back on the Window Sill but this time he's joined by Ted but because of Dermot Morgan's death the Writers thought the ending was too inappropriate so instead they replaced the ending with the back to back segments of all the Episodes. Like I said I dont know if the orginal ending rumour is true or not but it has been going around for some time; can anyone confirm this for me please?
    >>

A friend of mine as in the studio audience for the last episode (I think a Thursday night: Dermot Morgan died on the Saturday), and confirmed that the final scene was of Ted standing on the window ledge, about to jump. That scene was cut and replaced with a montage of great moments from earlier episodes.

chuff.x.
  • Options
    Forum Member

A friend of mine as in the studio audience for the last episode (I think a Thursday night: Dermot Morgan died on the Saturday), and confirmed that the final scene was of Ted standing on the window ledge, about to jump. That scene was cut and replaced with a montage of great moments from earlier episodes.

chuff.x.

Thanks for that bit of info chuffnobbler, that is really sad:(.

In a way I'm glad they didn't put that in for 2 reasons...

1. A huge/main reason which is of course Dermot Morgan's untimely death obviously which would've been quite insensitive IMO.

2. And a much more minor reason here really. I think that would've been really out of Character for Ted anyway. Yes he hates his life with a passion and wants to desperately get away from it but for him to actually commit suicide is way too much of a huge step to take even for him. Also even though he doesn't really like living with Dougal, Jack and Mrs. Doyle; he did also have a really soft spot for them too so there's no way he would've commited suicide IMO. But like I said, this is only a minor reason on my part anyway.

I have to say chuffnobbler your friend was extremely lucky, I wish I was old enough to go at that time (I was 12 the year he died):(.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Hey,
    I just watched the 1st season of Ted again - HILARIOUS :D I love the part in the last episode of S1 when Jack "comes back to life" and it really frightens Ted and Dougal :D

Mrs. Doyle: Pat was wondering if he could put his massive tool in my box.
    Pat (holding up enormous wrench thing): Its too big for the milkfloat.

Ted: If you took this baby's moustache, this babies head hair and this baby's sideboards, I think you'd get.. Pat Mustard!
    Dougal: Do you think the babies are copying his style?!

And that one where Bishop Brennan wants a racy film called The Passion of St. Tibulus banned :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dougal: I changed my mind! I don't wanna be a milkman anymore!

Classic :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »

And that one where Bishop Brennan wants a racy film called The Passion of St. Tibulus banned :D

Only for them (Ted & Dougal) to accidently make that Film popular instead:D. I also loved how we were meant to think Jack was coming over to help save the day with Ted & Dougal only for him to completly blank them and walk right into the Cinema to watch the Film:D!

Funnily enough I watched that Episode this morning:). I also loved the part where they had a translater for the Cuban Priest (Don't know how to spell his name) who even translated his laugh:D!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dougal: See Ted, looks like an ordinary blackboard doesnt it? But.... see? (Rubs board). You can rub off the letters!
    Ted: You can do that with any blackboard Dougal
    Dougal: What?

:D:D

And I love that bit at the end of the Christmas special where Ted says Dougal deserves to share his Golden Cleric award as well so Dougal takes the award out of the case and breaks into mock evil laughter, only for Ted to be standing in the doorway!! :D

Another brilliant bit in that episode is when Ted slams the door and the "Merry Christmas" thing falls down of the back of the door, then he closes it ever softer and everything on the ceiling falls down :D:D You have to see it to get it but thats wonderful slapstick humour :)
  • Options
    MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    I'm loving reading this thread folks, keep it going :D

It's nice to see what other people found funny :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Minnimo wrote: »
    I'm loving reading this thread folks, keep it going :D

It's nice to see what other people found funny :D

My God this really is never ending, so many fantastic moments to choose from it's brilliant:D!

Who remembers the Charades game Ted played with Dougal in "Grant Unto Him Eternal Rest".

Ted: "You had it! It was 'Jaws'!"

Dougal: "No Ted! I had 'Jaws 2'! It was a different Film! A different Shark!"

• Options
    Forum Member
    "Er! Er! Tongue Fish! Attack Of The Giant Killing Fish!.. Jaws 2!
    *Ted shakes head*
    Dougal: Like... erm.. Ghostbusters 2!

• Options
    Forum Member
    Dougal: Picks up brick from accelerator: Teeeeed! You forgot your briiiiiick!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry to Revive to this Thread once again but I've just had a strange Dream about "Father Ted" and I didn't know where else to Post this:o.

In my Dream it was discovered that there were 3 more Series (4, 5 and 6) and 2 more Xmas Specials of "Father Ted" that were never aired. The reason for this was because Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews thought it would've of been insensitive to air them after Dermot Morgan's death (yet they had no trouble airing Series 3:rolleyes:already I've found a Plothole in my Dream) and for the first time ever they were releasing Series 4, 5 and 6 on DVD and showing the Xmas Specials at Xmas seperately.

So I immediately went and bought them. I then excitedly watched them all BUT the problem was... the were all rubbish:eek:! Not funny at all!

But being a dedicated Fan I lived in denial and was constantly defending it (in reality I wouldn't, no matter how much I love a TV show, if a certain Series or an Episode was truely rubbish I would say it:rolleyes:). And then came the 2 Xmas Specials (another weird thing is that 2 years had gone by extremely quickly. Don't ya just love Dreams:D) and once again they were rubbish:(! The 2nd was a slight improvement but it was still pretty awful:(.

And then I woke up, immediately saw my "Father Ted" Boxset and sighed happily that the New Series'/Xmas Specials don't exist:D.

You know I've always wonderd about the "what ifs?" and in a weird way my mind was telling me things are fine the way they are (the first time I've ever agreed with my Dreams fully):D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry to Revive to this Thread once again but I've just had a strange Dream about "Father Ted" and I didn't know where else to Post this:o.

In my Dream it was discovered that there were 3 more Series (4, 5 and 6) and 2 more Xmas Specials of "Father Ted" that were never aired. The reason for this was because Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews thought it would've of been insensitive to air them after Dermot Morgan's death (yet they had no trouble airing Series 3:rolleyes:already I've found a Plothole in my Dream) and for the first time ever they were releasing Series 4, 5 and 6 on DVD and showing the Xmas Specials at Xmas seperately.

So I immediately went and bought them. I then excitedly watched them all BUT the problem was... the were all rubbish:eek:! Not funny at all!

But being a dedicated Fan I lived in denial and was constantly defending it (in reality I wouldn't, no matter how much I love a TV show, if a certain Series or an Episode was truely rubbish I would say it:rolleyes:). And then came the 2 Xmas Specials (another weird thing is that 2 years had gone by extremely quickly. Don't ya just love Dreams:D) and once again they were rubbish! The 2nd was a slight improvement but it was still pretty awful:(.

And then I woke up, immediately saw my "Father Ted" Boxset and sighed happily that the New Series'/Xmas Specials don't exist:D.

You know I've always wonderd about the "what ifs?" and in a weird way my mind was telling me things are fine the way they are (the first time I've ever agreed with my Dreams fully):D.

LoL, first of all revive as many times as you like! It's wonderful seeing so many peoples views on their best moments!

Second of all! What a weird dream!! :eek:

As much as it would've been enjoyable to carry on, I'm glad they finished it when they did as circumstances mean it couldn't have went on anyway..At least this was one show that got to end with all characters still there, unlike for example 8 Simple Rules and other such shows where one of the main characters has passed away in real life. Tragic. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Minnimo wrote: »
    LoL, first of all revive as many times as you like! It's wonderful seeing so many peoples views on their best moments!

Second of all! What a weird dream!! :eek:

As much as it would've been enjoyable to carry on, I'm glad they finished it when they did as circumstances mean it couldn't have went on anyway..At least this was one show that got to end with all characters still there, unlike for example 8 Simple Rules and other such shows where one of the main characters has passed away in real life. Tragic. :(

Thanks and yes it was weird (not in a good way):eek:.

I too am glad they've ended it on a high, one of a very few shows who know when to stop (despite popular belief the Series was ending anyway, Dermot Morgan being alive would of made zero difference) and even today it still has that special magic within it.

And yeah I remember when John Ritter died in "8 Simple Rules" that was really tragic too:(.

I'm also glad Dermot Morgan managed to finish "Father Ted" in time but it's still heartbreaking, he was too young to die:(. He's missed alright but he most certainly is never forgotten and long live "Father Ted" keeping his memory truely alive:).

More "Father Ted" Quotes...

*Phone Rings*

Ted: "Hello?"

Bishop Brennan: "Crilly? Bishop Brennan here!"

Ted: "Oh ****!" :eek::o

Bishop Brennan: "WHAT:mad:?!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member

*Phone Rings*

Bishop Brennan: "WHAT:mad:?!!!!!

lmao :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Just one thing I've only just noticed now (can't believe I never noticed this before actually considering how many times I've watched this) is that Ted is actually a lot more thicker than Dougal:eek:! Can't beleive I've never noticed it before:o.

I've always suspected that Dougal is by no means as stupid as he's made out to be - I think he's really pretty bright, and pretends to be thick a lot of the time to infuriate Ted! His hobby is winding Ted up.

Some of the remarks he comes out with, just at the wrong moment for Ted and which thoroughly drop Ted in the crap, are so perfectly-timed that Dougal MUST be dropping Ted in it deliberately! He does it so often :D

Wonderful series - marvellously well-written and beautifully-acted.

Ted and Dougal writing Ireland's Eurovision song has me crying with laughter every time I see it - FABULOUS comedy. I don't know, for some reason it always makes me think of Oasis!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    handymelon wrote: »
    Dougal to Ted: "Ah, Ted - I wish I had your faith!"

It's the surreal edge to it that I specially love. Like when Ted puts a little dent in the raffle-prize car, and then beats the cr@p out of the entire front of the vehicle trying to knock it out... :D:D:D

Aww, wonderful! Definitely one of the best moments of tv comedy ever, when you see the final result of Father Ted's attempts to put the little dent in the car right... :D

It's just SO like how life is... :)

Poor Father Ted - if something can go wrong, it will
  • Options
    Forum Member

*Phone Rings*

Bishop Brennan: "WHAT:mad:?!!!!!"

Ted: (Putting on a Foreign accent) "Who iz thiz? There iz no Crilly here!":o

*Hangs up Phone*

Ted: "Oh God Dougal I've just said "****" to Bishop Brennan:o. I've put on a Foreign accent though so hopefully he'd just think he's got the wrong number."

*Phone Rings*

Ted: "Ahhhh Bishop Brennan. I think you had the wrong number there."

ROFLMAO:D!
    IceFire wrote: »
    I've always suspected that Dougal is by no means as stupid as he's made out to be - I think he's really pretty bright, and pretends to be thick a lot of the time to infuriate Ted! His hobby is winding Ted up.

Some of the remarks he comes out with, just at the wrong moment for Ted and which thoroughly drop Ted in the crap, are so perfectly-timed that Dougal MUST be dropping Ted in it deliberately! He does it so often.

Wonderful series - marvellously well-written and beautifully-acted.

Ted and Dougal writing Ireland's Eurovision song has me crying with laughter every time I see it - FABULOUS comedy. I don't know, for some reason it always makes me think of Oasis!

Hmmmmmmm? Great point about Dougal there, I've never thought about it like that:)(I still think he's thick though:p). As much as I love Dougal I do feel like slapping him sometimes. I'm amazed how much patience Ted has with him.

And OMG Ted and Dougal singing for Ireland still gets to me everytime:D! I espcially love how they only won because they were so rubbish:D!