Options

Stargate from the beginning

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stargate was one of those shows who alternated between standalones and story arcs. Not like shows today which are too serialized. They were as good as each other but found the standalones were much better than the story arcs in the later seasons. Mainly because i wasn't fond of the Ori arc at all.

and i thought the special effects were fine. But when the show moved from showtime to Sci-fi (now known as SyFy), they did actually cut the budget down. But i don't think it showed personally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well they wanted her back but she wouldn't do it. So there wasn't a lot they could do about it.

I don't blame her

She signed for five seasons and was let go after three. But she wasn't let go for any creative or personal reasons. I reckon purely for a device for stargate sg1 fans who perhaps never liked Atlantis before to check the show out because a former sg1 character was on there.
  • Options
    DartGuruDartGuru Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little update, I'm 8-9 episodes in. There have been a few which remind me of the really appalling early ST-TNG Season One/Two episodes. The Nox was good I thought.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I don't blame her
    I do. Whatever beef she had with the show producers, by not returning to play herself, she let us fans down. Besides, if she was signed on for five seasons, then she should have fought a little harder to remain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I do. Whatever beef she had with the show producers, by not returning to play herself, she let us fans down. Besides, if she was signed on for five seasons, then she should have fought a little harder to remain.

How do we not know she didn't fight? Plus it's difficult to fight for your job when your told your pretty much fired anyway. It's the same with any job. It's awful losing your job but whether you fight or protest about it happening, it doesn't mean the boss will say "ok your not fired now". It just does not work that way. The only time a person has a right to fight for their job is if it was an unfair dismissal.

Plus one apperance she missed was hardly a let down to fans. She may of returned if we got that final season 6 that was in plan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DartGuru wrote: »
    A little update, I'm 8-9 episodes in. There have been a few which remind me of the really appalling early ST-TNG Season One/Two episodes. The Nox was good I thought.

Well the show was still finding it's balance. Not every show gets it 100 per cent right in the first season. You learn along the way.

However if you are finding the episode a bit meh, I will happily give you a list of the story arc episodes you need to watch to speed the process up. Just give me a PM if you do. :)
  • Options
    petertreepetertree Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DartGuru wrote: »

You have some great episodes to come 'Fire and Water' 'Cor-ai' 'The Torment of Tantalus' 'Solitudes' and 'There But for the Grace of God', that's just in the first season.
    What I liked was that they followed up storylines, even though the episodes could stand-alone, they often referred back to planets and people they had visited. It certainly became a must watch in our household and I have many happy memories of meeting the cast and visiting Canada as an avid fan.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    How do we not know she didn't fight? Plus it's difficult to fight for your job when your told your pretty much fired anyway. It's the same with any job. It's awful losing your job but whether you fight or protest about it happening, it doesn't mean the boss will say "ok your not fired now". It just does not work that way. The only time a person has a right to fight for their job is if it was an unfair dismissal.
    I suppose we don't know what went down, but if she was signed on and contracted for five series, and she was released after three, then her contract had been changed. Surely she'd either have agreed to that, or her contract was ignored, thus she'd have had a case against it, no?
    Plus one apperance she missed was hardly a let down to fans.
    Her lack of appearance was a let down for me. It annoys me greatly when various people are recast for major roles.
    She may of returned if we got that final season 6 that was in plan.
    Atlantis needed another five seasons, not just one. :p They could do with erasing the season 5 final too, god that was terrible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I suppose we don't know what went down, but if she was signed on and contracted for five series, and she was released after three, then her contract had been changed. Surely she'd either have agreed to that, or her contract was ignored, thus she'd have had a case against it, no?

Her lack of appearance was a let down for me. It annoys me greatly when various people are recast for major roles.

Atlantis needed another five seasons, not just one. :p They could do with erasing the season 5 final too, god that was terrible.

She never had a case against it because they let her go. It happens all the time in television series. She never agreed to do just doing three seasons and not season 4 and 5 because she had no choice. No contract was changed on her behalf. They cut her contract short. She had no choice or case to fight. Simple. It happens. Moving on....

I loved the season 5 finale. They did all they could to deliver a last min finale. It was cancelled while filming episode 17 or episode 18 so they didn't not have a lot of time to fully deliver a proper series finale. Plus it left the characters in a good place and made way for what should of been the television movie that should of followed.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,714
    Forum Member
    petertree wrote: »
    What I liked was that they followed up storylines, even though the episodes could stand-alone, they often referred back to planets and people they had visited.
    I mentioned this too, in my first post in this thread.

We've just seen (in one of the eps you mentioned) the first appearance of Senator Kinsey. Maybourne's also been introduced; as have the Tok'ra. I don't think it's spoiling anything to say they all have their own arcs in the coming seaons.

It's certainly one of the most "complete" shows I've ever watched. I don't think anything's not sorted out (ie no threads left dangling) by the end of the last two feature-length eps.

(Note to OP: They're called "Ark Of Truth" & "Continuum" and you can buy them from Amazon. Sky1 may repeated them at some point but if they do so it might be 'out of sequence' with the rest of the series so if you record them then don't watch them until you've finished all ten seasons!)
    It certainly became a must watch in our household and I have many happy memories of meeting the cast and visiting Canada as an avid fan.
    You lucky sod :(
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I also liked the way they did weave in references from the original movie as well, I'm glad they never ignored it, like the joke about the 'other Jack O'Neill the one with one l'

I also like that sometimes they had some good old shoot em up episodes as well, like the one onboard the Asgard ship with the Replicators, they must have used up all the blank ammo they had left lying around in that one!
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also liked the way they did weave in references from the original movie as well, I'm glad they never ignored it, like the joke about the 'other Jack O'Neill the one with one l'

I also like that sometimes they had some good old shoot em up episodes as well, like the one onboard the Asgard ship with the Replicators, they must have used up all the blank ammo they had left lying around in that one!

It took me about 5 minutes to get what he meant by that.:blush:
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,714
    Forum Member
    It was actual "That's O'Neill with two Ls!" but yeah, funny :)
  • Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member

I have seen a T-shirt with that saying on it, nearly bought it but ended up with a t-shirt that said "No place like home" with the earth Stargate symbol for "home". There is some great merchandise for this show around :)
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    SG-1 also avoided the big mysteries that never get answered quickly craze that Lost started and BSG fell into.

And there was none of that "who's sleeping with who" nonsense, either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SG-1 also avoided the big mysteries that never get answered quickly craze that Lost started and BSG fell into.

Yeah there comes a point where when sci-fi shows do that, it becomes a bit like a soap opera.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes, and yet it still managed to have one of the most endearing relationships in any TV show I have ever watched in Sam and Jack. Lots of credit there to the writers and actors involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yer you're right, I couldn't remember it exactly, but it was a good inside joke and reference to the film
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Yes, and yet it still managed to have one of the most endearing relationships in any TV show I have ever watched in Sam and Jack. Lots of credit there to the writers and actors involved.

The show had a sort of official thumbs up from the US Airforce and I remember Amanda Tapping saying that they didn't want to ruin that with some sort of relationship that wouldn't be seen as appropriate in real life, also why she generally had a military compliant hair style.

They even had a couple of real US Generals in a couple of the shows, the Lost City being one episode.

I seem to remember RDA getting some sort of award from the US Airforce for his portrayal of his character.

I'd hate to see a sequel of a big screen movie ignore 10 years or more of the Stargate world and they'd be pissing off a large fan base if they did that,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some very funny gags in the show, one of the best was in Small Victories when Thor sort of asks for help in a way that implies simple thinking is required and O'Neill suggests he's looking for dumb people and may have come to the right place and Carter says that she can handle that.

I still laugh at that scene today.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some very funny gags in the show, one of the best was in Small Victories when Thor sort of asks for help in a way that implies simple thinking is required and O'Neill suggests he's looking for dumb people and may have come to the right place and Carter says that she can handle that.

Stargate SG-1 Window of Opportunity is by far one of my favourite episodes, so so funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMBNJ1A_CjI
  • Options
    Forum Member

Oh there were lots, and some memorable one-liners too. RDA was a genius at that :D

In my house we still quote SG-1 often. "In the middle of my backswing!" if you ever interrupt something important lol.

I'm such a SG nerd :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Oh there were lots, and some memorable one-liners too. RDA was a genius at that :D

In my house we still quote SG-1 often. "In the middle of my backswing!" if you ever interrupt something important lol.

I'm such a SG nerd :blush:

LOL :D
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a complete run-through of SG-1 and Atlantis a couple of years ago. Loved them :)

Need to do it again...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    I had a complete run-through of SG-1 and Atlantis a couple of years ago. Loved them :)

Need to do it again...

I am currently running through Supernatural seasons 1-8 again from the beginning, but I think a re-watch of SG-1 thread would be fun :)