Options

Geri Halliwell - Look At Me - Best song of 1999?

starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
Forum Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31mlEEs9_Vk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Look_at_Me_(Geri_Halliwell_song)

From one of the most controversial videos of the 90's with Geri in a coffin, cavorting nuns, and the initial "look at me, I'm no longer a Spice Girl" vibes to the sheer catchy hook, powerful vocals, and and a beat that sounds as fresh today as it did back then, surely this is 1999's best offering. Had Geri been taken more seriously she could have been the new Madonna.

The lyrics are also so meaningful and true for everyone.

Comments

• Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best song of 1999? Must have been a bad year.
  • Options
    speedy_gonzalesspeedy_gonzales Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surely this is a wind up thread or the op has banged their head on something.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I admit it's a fantastic pop song but falls shirt of best of 99. That for me was ...Baby One More .Time
  • Options
    floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every song Geri Halliwell has ever released, either as a solo artist or with the Spice Girls, has been utter shit.
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .. wouldn't make my top 100 .. of the week.
  • Options
    James_Walker2James_Walker2 Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Had Geri been taken more seriously she could have been the new Madonna.

WTF!
    I can't believe you just said that.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    daziechain wrote: »
    .. wouldn't make my top 100 .. of the week.

Wouldn't make my top 100...of all time. :D

Mi Chico Latino is much better ( :p )
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daft thread.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

From one of the most controversial videos of the 90's with Geri in a coffin, cavorting nuns, and the initial "look at me, I'm no longer a Spice Girl" vibes to the sheer catchy hook, powerful vocals, and and a beat that sounds as fresh today as it did back then, surely this is 1999's best offering. Had Geri been taken more seriously she could have been the new Madonna.

LOL- NO! :o:D

Is that you Geri?? :o

Geri isnt fit to spit on Madge's boots.

"Wannabe" was a suitably named song title to launch her career.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

LOL watching that vid you can see that not only has Geri aped much of Madonna's imagery (nun, Hollywood glamour, the river boat from Like a Virgin) but I can see where Lady Gaga (the great original artist remember kids) got some of her imagery from - the nun, the swimming pool imagery at the end premiscent of Poker Face.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I admit it's a fantastic pop song but falls shirt of best of 99. That for me was ...Baby One More .Time

BOMT was my song of 1999 as well :D So was Sometimes and (You Drive Me) Crazy :p I've got my reasons for thinking that ;-)
  • Options
    Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member
    No, best song of 1999 would be Baby, One More Time!
  • Options
    Andy18Andy18 Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    No baby one more time owned 1999
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Prince 1999 of course
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only speak for myself but I personally prefer Look At Me over Baby One More Time.

Look At Me & Mi Chico Latino are definetly two of my fave pop songs of 1999.
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    LOL watching that vid you can see that not only has Geri aped much of Madonna's imagery (nun, Hollywood glamour, the river boat from Like a Virgin) but I can see where Lady Gaga (the great original artist remember kids) got some of her imagery from - the nun, the swimming pool imagery at the end premiscent of Poker Face.

Madonna's imagery? Madonna has sourced most of her imagery and styling from old school Hollywood stars like Greta Garbo, Jean Harlow, Jayne Mansfield, Jane Russell, Gina Lollobrigida, Marilyn Monroe, Marlene Dietrich, Bette Davis, Brigitte Bardot, Ginger Rogers, Louise Brooks, Carole Lombard, Veronica Lake, Joan Crawford, Rita Hayworth, etc. I don't care what Madonna fans say, someone who takes the styling, fashion and art direction from one art form and then puts it into another is neither original nor a genius, especially when it's a cut, copy and paste job most of the time. And she was hardly the first person to feature a boat in a music video. Oh yeah, both Donna Summer and Debbie Harry dressed up as virgin brides years before Madonna did the same in the 1980s. And Madonna’s styling around the time of Like a Virgin was nothing more than a rip-off of Wendy O Williams and Dale Bozzio. Madonna whole career is one big homage.

I'm not a Geri Halliwell fan in the slightest, but I have no time for delusional Madonna fans who insist she's a never-ending source of originality when she blatantly isn't and never will be. She’s really no better than Geri and Lady Gaga. And like Geri, Madonna is hardly known for being a gifted singer. :)

And to answer the OP's question. No, Look at Me isn't the best song of 1999.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Andy18 wrote: »
    No baby one more time owned 1999

YES! GO BRITNEY :D
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New Radical "You Get What You Give"
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Scrubs defined 1999 in music for me:)
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sex Bomb by Tom Jones was surely record of the year.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No no no

Geri's solo career is better best forgotten.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nah... veracocha 'carte blanche' was the best.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Awful record, with Geri's poorest ever vocals (and that's saying something).
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More like worst song of 1999.

Baby One More Time, for me too :D
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Look at me #62 on top 1999 selling songs.

I'm surprised it was that high!