Options

Labour's Football Crazy, They're Football MAD

Phil_CoulthardPhil_Coulthard Posts: 2,843
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Labour want to tell Football clubs who can sit on their boards now.

Under new proposals set out by the party fans will get a bigger say in how the club is ran by placing fans on the board as well as getting to buy shares in the club.

However they will have no say in Takeovers in the club or the corporate strategy of the club.

Comments

• Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Nice to see that they have their priorities right and are thinking about the major issues :confused:
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As if Leeds United aren't in a bad enough state.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a system that works very well in the German Bundesliga where the 50+1% law in favour of the fans is enshrined. They have managed to still produce European Cup winners and are the current World Cup holders. They also give their supporters properly priced tickets rather than the extortionant rate us British are charged. I suggest people look to see how the Germans run their game before having a dig at Labour. If they can work it as well as the Germans have it could be good for the game.

My club, AFC Wimbledon, is also a success story and we are completely fan-owned with elected directors. We have gone from the lowest level to League Two in a short period of time and if we get the planning permission will return home to Merton. We are currently in fine form beating five of the top seven.

Fan ownership is just as effective as the businessman to run a club successfully.
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Under new proposals set out by the party fans will get a bigger say in how the club is ran by placing fans on the board as well as getting to buy shares in the club.

However they will have no say in Takeovers in the club or the corporate strategy of the club.

hilarious. on me 'ead, ed.:D

on the bbc news (radio) at 10.00 am, the first article was about cameron talking about how the UK are leading the 'fight' against ebola, and then the next article was this football article. nice to see labour have their priorities in order.
    what next? football clubs need more disabled, ethnic female centre forwards?:D

i really do despair at the fact that no matter how idiotic the labour party become, there are swathes of the north that will still vote for them. so sad.
  • Options
    iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    This is a system that works very well in the German Bundesliga where the 50+1% law in favour of the fans is enshrined. They have managed to still produce European Cup winners and are the current World Cup holders. They also give their supporters properly priced tickets rather than the extortionant rate us British are charged. I suggest people look to see how the Germans run their game before having a dig at Labour. If they can work it as well as the Germans have it could be good for the game.

My club, AFC Wimbledon, is also a success story and we are completely fan-owned with elected directors. We have gone from the lowest level to League Two in a short period of time and if we get the planning permission will return home to Merton. We are currently in fine form beating five of the top seven.

Fan ownership is just as effective as the businessman to run a club successfully.

Ssssh, you sound like you know what you're talking about. You're supposed to just come in and say 'you couldn't make it up!' or some such.
  • Options
    Forum Member

what next? football clubs need more disabled, ethnic female centre forwards?:D

We had that last week :D

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2016802
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    football clubs are tiny. I struggle to understand why the well being of any single club is at all critical.

In the US some states do not even have one professional team. The larger places may have a couple. The franchises move from city to city, I imagine it causes some discord, but it happens.

The FA wouldn't even let the owner of Hull change it's name.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree that fans should have on the club is ran and an elected person from the Supporters Trust should be on the board to be the voice of the fans. That's a brilliant idea

BUT

No say in corporate strategy or Takeovers is not the best idea. If the fans own 10%+ they should have a say on those subjects.

HOWEVER

It's not for the Government to impose this, it's up to the FA as they are the Governing body
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member

Good to see a constructive, well-informed post to go with the typical party partisan trolling.

For all the Premier League likes to big itself up it is very sad to see how football has gone over the last few years with rich playboys treating clubs as their little ego toys and the closed shop that is the financial fair play. We used to have different teams having spells at the top but now it is the same old same old with most clubs seeing staying in the Premier League as the height of their ambition. I still enjoy the atmosphere of a live game as I have been going since the early 70's but it is noticeable that far fewer youngsters are going to games (maybe that is due to the cost of tickets, maybe it is due to them choosing to be armchair glory hunters rather than supporting their local team, or maybe it is due to the dire standard of football in many games). Something has to change (although I suspect it will be the greedy clubs at the top forming a European Super League) as many people think football is on the start of a slippery slope.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of lifelong dedicated fans* on the board sounds like a good idea.
    This move could be "opportunistic".
    In other words.....How come the Tories didn't get there first? My observations tell me a very, very large number of people in the UK are in the Very Keen to Obsessed range where football in concerned.

I thought we were hearing yesterday that Labour are an out of touch Metropolitan Elite? It seems that Shadow Ministers Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper are hearing much more than just fears about Private Rent Inflation and Security of Tenancy (do you hear that Dave?) at their weekly surgeries in Morley, Outwood, Normanton, Pontefract and Castleford....................

* Attending every away game for 35 years is "Hard to Fake"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    A couple of lifelong dedicated fans* on the board sounds like a good idea.
    In other words.....How come the Tories didn't get there first? My observations tell me a very, very large number of people in the UK are in the Very Keen to Obsessed range where football in concerned.

I thought we were hearing yesterday that Labour are an out of touch Metropolitan Elite? It seems that Shadow Ministers Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper are hearing much more than just fears about Private Rent Inflation and Security of Tenancy (do you hear that Dave?) at their weekly surgeries in Morley, Outwood, Normanton, Pontefract and Castleford....................

* Attending every away game for 35 years is "Hard to Fake"

I had Balls as my MP, now got Craegh. Once called his constituency office in Normanton during the last parliament to be told that he doesn't do local surgeries.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

They also want to control energy provider companies.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imagine Millwall ran like this :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    They also want to control energy provider companies.

So when did they say they'd put customers on their boards then. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    So when did they say they'd put customers on their boards then. :D

Give it time
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »

Yes, people on here seem to be a bit miffed that Labour have come up with a policy to please white working class voters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    Give it time

I wouldn't hold your breath. If they have announced it for footabll clubs but not energy companies it rather gives it all away. Still I suppose football fans didn't get a ticket price freeze. (rolleyes)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, people on here seem to be a bit miffed that Labour have come up with a policy to please white working class voters.

Careful now you may be straying in dodgy territory there and Chuka thinks we should have ethnic quotas for directors and managers.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    this thread reminds me of that song that used to play on Children's Favourites on the radio in the 50s.......:D

Oh, he's fitba crazy, he's fitba mad.........:D
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Actually the demographics for football fans are quite diverse so I'm not sure why you think it's a policy to please white working class voters.

Oh I get it, you're casting a aspersions on some of the earlier posters, I get ya *wink*.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    Actually the demographics for football fans are quite diverse so I'm not sure why you think it's a policy to please white working class voters.

Oh I get it, you're casting a aspersions on some of the earlier posters, I get ya *wink*.

Exactly is a populist vote that I can't see a way of them enforcing
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My club Portsmouth are a good example as well - business men run the club into the ground and into admin twice. The fans trust took over and have wiped out the clubs debt 18 months a head of schedule, brought the ground back into club ownership and set up a new training ground.
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the chuff has it got to with politics though??? Perhaps Tories can hit back with a policy meaning we can phone up to vote on Xfactor or Big Brother for free and Lib Dems can decree that Sky Sports can't charge more than 50p per month in subs.......
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boselecta wrote: »
    What the chuff has it got to with politics though??? Perhaps Tories can hit back with a policy meaning we can phone up to vote on Xfactor or Big Brother for free and Lib Dems can decree that Sky Sports can't charge more than 50p per month in subs.......

To be fair....Cameron called Labour's proposals for the rental sector "A very bad idea" which may suggest that the people who whisper in his ear what "normal" people are actually saying and feeling may be a bit like the people who told Elvis every day that he was looking great.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and they said it LAST time the general election came ..... they didn't get in .....