Continental giants

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,449
Forum Member
I picked up my conti yesterday. She is 20 months old and is beautiful.
She has had 2 litters and on her last litter only had 1 baby .

The lady told me she is a very friendly animal and she was for the first few hours but now she won't let me near her :( She tries to bite me when I give her food and growls if I come anywhere near.

Obviously she needs to settle in and feel safe but it seems to be just me at the moment. She is fine with my husband.

We are planning on getting her fixed as soon as possible but are finding it hard to find someone who has done the op on a giant rabbit befor.

Any adivce on how I can win her round ?:(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,449
    Forum Member
    Anyone ? :(

She is at the vets Monday and im a little worried .
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    persevere with her really, sit close to her for a while and allow her to come to you

perhaps offer her some vegetables from your hands but, allow her to come to you for it

do you have any female friends who could try interacting with her with her?
    if she is fine with your husband she may just not like women, which is a little strange.

let her settle in for a few days first however

have you had contact with any predatory animals who's scent may be on you?
    or even other doe rabbits

my buns are at the other end of the scale being dwarves, but if i've been handling ferrets at college she goes wild and attacks me
    Forum Member
    xdow wrote: »
    persevere with her really, sit close to her for a while and allow her to come to you

perhaps offer her some vegetables from your hands but, allow her to come to you for it

do you have any female friends who could try interacting with her with her?
    if she is fine with your husband she may just not like women, which is a little strange.

let her settle in for a few days first however

have you had contact with any predatory animals who's scent may be on you?
    or even other doe rabbits

my buns are at the other end of the scale being dwarves, but if i've been handling ferrets at college she goes wild and attacks me

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have any other does, I have 2 castrated males though and she seems to be forming quite a bond with one of them. They sit really close together all day lol.

we have 6 guinea and a cat and a dog as well but she doesn't seem bothered by them at all.

I did have a bit of progress about 10 mins ago when she let me pet her head, Then seemed to remember herself and push me away.

I was wondering if she is sensing my hormones as im on hormone injections at the moment?

Anyway I just hope she behaves at the vets for her injection on monday. May get the hubby to take her.

Thanks for the reply x
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrsOggy wrote: »
    I picked up my conti yesterday. She is 20 months old and is beautiful.
    Lucky you!

We had a couple of Contis along time before they became fashionable. We had nothing but pleasure from them. I have only heard of problems between them and not between them and the owner.

I think you should give it a week before you should start to be concerned.

Most vets are able to deal with all the rabbit breeds so if there are any "issues" he/she will spot them.

please let us know how you get on.
    Forum Member
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    Lucky you!

We had a couple of Contis along time before they became fashionable. We had nothing but pleasure from them. I have only heard of problems between them and not between them and the owner.

I think you should give it a week before you should start to be concerned.

Most vets are able to deal with all the rabbit breeds so if there are any "issues" he/she will spot them.

please let us know how you get on.

Thanks I will:)

She is very lovely .I adore her.She has improved slightly today and will take food from me but she snatches.
    Im beginning to think she was not out of her cage much when she was used for breeding :(
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she may calm down when she's been done with snatching etc.
    spayed does are always 9 times out of 10, a lot calmer than their entire sisters :)

i've seen it with mine, breeding does snatch & back off (my bucks don't, neither do kittens, but the does always do)
    Forum Member
    xdow wrote: »
    she may calm down when she's been done with snatching etc.
    spayed does are always 9 times out of 10, a lot calmer than their entire sisters :)

i've seen it with mine, breeding does snatch & back off (my bucks don't, neither do kittens, but the does always do)

thats what she does, Snatch and back off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shes probably scared and also hormonal. I would not take as gospel, that she has only had a few litters.

Go on a website Rabbit Rehome and join their forum. Ask about a rabbit savvy vet in your area on there.