How (on the day) to pay off a mortgage?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
Forum Member
✭✭
I've an outstanding mortgage that I can pay off, and intend to do so, however, how to actually do this?

When I spoke to my bank it was a case of "just come in and we'll transfer the money over" - seems straight forward...

When I spoke to the lender (Nationwide) they gave me a sort-code, account number (and when I pressed for how they'd resolve the payment as mine, they finally remembered, "oh, and include your mortgage reference as a comment on the transfer") - seems straight forward...

But, I'm wondering now, why can I not simply perform the transfer myself via electronic banking? (seems daft involving till-staff, and presumably £££ at the bank if this is something I can easily do at home).

Anyone closed down a mortgage themselves with NW?

Comments

• cdtaylor_natscdtaylor_nats Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have an endowment policy you will need to transfer the payout from that away from the mortgage account. You will also have to decide whether you want to keep paying the endowment premium.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    It's rare that you an jet settle a loan or mortgage, generally you need to request a resettlement figure first. It maybe that they think you just mean a big payment, so check first.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get a settlement figure and go into the branch. If you transfer it online yourself and they have got just one digit wrong then you may have issues with such a large amount of money. Much safer to get the bank to do it IMO. I settled a mortgage a few years ago and it was very straighforward. But my bank account and mortgage were with the same bank so I think I did a transfer from one account to the other.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You will need a settlement figure for a particular day as interest is usually calculated daily. You haven't said how much is outstanding but many banks have a daily limit of £10,000 per payee for faster payments through online banking in which case you would have to go to a branch to arrange a CHAPS payment.
  • AmberPandaAmberPanda Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    You cannot just pay off a mortgage, lenders don't like them paid off as they lose interest and some try and make it difficult.
    My neighbour had a problem when he tried after his mother-in-law died, his lender wss quite difficult.
    I had no problem paying mine off as it was with the bank I worked in and in those days staff had a good rate of 2%, those days are now over I believe.
    I would make an appointment at the NW see a manager and discuss the matter, if they agree you can pay off the mortgage, a date will be agreed upon when the interest will be calculated and then your funds can be transffered.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what about the deeds, don't the bank hold them until the mortgage is settled ?
  • this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AmberPanda wrote: »
    You cannot just pay off a mortgage, lenders don't like them paid off as they lose interest and some try and make it difficult.

I paid mine off about a month ago. My mortgage and current account were with the same bank, Halifax. I went to the cashier, said I wanted to pay off the mortgage, and handed over my bank card to make the transaction. The repayment figure was within a pound or two of what I'd estimated, including a £50 repayment charge. They did ask where the funds had come from, for money laundering purposes, I suppose, but there was nothing difficult about it.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    So what about the deeds, don't the bank hold them until the mortgage is settled ?

If there are deeds, yes. You don't actually get paper deeds these days all the information is just available from the Land Registry site, if and when you need them.

If there are deeds, the bank will usually send them to you once all the paper work has been done and dusted. Some will also offer to continue holding them for you, for a fee if course.
  • OndineOndine Posts: 3,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I paid my mortgage off early about 5 years ago. I phoned Halifax and asked what to do. They said for us to agree a date about 10-14 days ahead. They would then write to me with the settlement amount due on that day. I got the letter and sent them a cheque (sorry, old fashioned). Job done. About a month later they wrote to say the deeds were available for a fee of about £30 so I sent them the money and got the deeds. Don't forget to cancel the direct debit for your mortgage payment!!
  • ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We walked into Nationwide and said we wanted to pay it off, did it there and then, they were more concerended we were moving it elsewhere.
  • AquajaneyAquajaney Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We paid off our mortgage with the NW but left £1 in the account. No interest was charged and it meant that they kept our deeds safe until we needed them when we moved.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    ................ Some will also offer to continue holding them for you, for a fee if course.

With the Halifax, we were offered a deedholder service (or similar name) in 1999 when we paid off the mortgage loan. We still have a mortgage loan with an outstanding balance of £125, on which we pay no interest. Halifax continue to hold the deeds. I assume it's so the can boast of the number of customers they have, and I don't know whether they still do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, I should have said I already have the settlement figure, and it's not (spit) an Endowment.

The advice on £10k/day is useful, that's enough to make me think that I'd be best going into my branch to organise it.

Thanks, all.
  • nitramsenojnitramsenoj Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Paid our mortgage off about two months ago. Really simple. Got a settlement figure, valid for one week, this gave the sort code and account number into which the funds were to be transferred. I believe the account number is a unique reference to the mortgagee, Santander account.

Transferred money a couple of days before the deadline, checked with Santander that all was OK, job done.

Received deeds etc within one week, followed by a cheque for the sum of £6.02 as overpayment on a 25 year mortgage totalling repayments of about £150,000.

Generous eh!