The Emmerdale Discussion Thread (Spoilers in tags — Part 14)

Comments

• desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    BIB so what you're saying is that makes me people want to commit murder?

;-) :p

No, not at all, she just has awful taste in men.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    I know. I thought he was going to be about 16 as a lot of the time Soaps go for someone a few years older but the Star stated the actor was also 14. Kate Oates had to speak to Thomas with his chaperone about this storyline due to his young age. Really hope he wins Best Young Actor in the Soap Awards and I do hope he is shielded from some of the nastier comments about the character on the internet.

He's a hopelessly bad actor, and he shouldn't win a Best Young Actor award just because he happens to be involved in a challenging storyline.
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »
    He's a hopelessly bad actor, and he shouldn't win a Best Young Actor award just because he happens to be involved in a challenging storyline.

Why do you think he's so bad?
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member

:confused: Truly. I think he's got this spot on. I am sure he will win awards for this and possibly has a chance at Best Dramatic Performance as well as being a shoe in for Best Young Actor.
  • spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't see these recent episodes but I do agree the lad is an appalling actor.
    He has one facial expression which is usually glum and delivers almost every sentence the same way no matter what the situation.
    Sorry but too many of our young actors are just not up to it for some reason.
    I watched a Si Fi film with Tom Cruise the other week. His co star was a young Dakota Fanning and she was simply brilliant and easily held her own with Cruise and the other adults in the film. Our young actors are way way below that level.
    This is one of the big faults of this forum. Too many extremely actors are called brlliant when the vast majority of the are bog standard soap level actors. There is nothing wrong with being a bog standard soap actor btw. It's certainly a lot better than my shitty job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andybear wrote: »
    Why do you think he's so bad?

Spunger says it all, really. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That doesn't mean anything because all Spunger ever does is moan and criticise :D
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member

To be fair Spunger says he hasn't seen these recent episodes and though I'm not saying they will definitely alter his views it is actually these recent episodes that have made me rate Lachlan. He barely registered with me before but he really has come into his own this week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That doesn't mean anything because all Spunger ever does is moan and criticise :D

Poor old Spungy! :(:D
    To be fair Spunger says he hasn't seen these recent episodes and though I'm not saying they will definitely alter his views it is actually these recent episodes that have made me rate Lachlan. He barely registered with me before but he really has come into his own this week.

Fair enough. I haven't seen the Alicia assault episode/s either, I'm only going on what I've seen of him so far, which from day one has been a monfaced, monotone, mono mono mono. I don't really want to see this storyline either, it's a bit grim for me!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:o:D

There's never any grey areas with you and me.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor old Spungy! :(:D

Fair enough. I haven't seen the Alicia assault episode/s either, I'm only going on what I've seen of him so far, which from day one has been a monfaced, monotone, mono mono mono. I don't really want to see this storyline either, it's a bit grim for me!

I can't say I blame you! Thursday's episode, when it happened, was very harrowing and disturbing. Thomas really played a blinder with it though and a lot of people who didn't rate him much before this week are saying how brilliant he was in that episode and still is in the aftermath.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spunger wrote: »
    :o:D

There's never any grey areas with you and me.:D

Indeed! :D
    I can't say I blame you! Thursday's episode, when it happened, was very harrowing and disturbing. Thomas really played a blinder with it though and a lot of people who didn't rate him much before this week are saying how brilliant he was in that episode and still is in the aftermath.

Hmm, I may have to force myself to watch it to see if I've got words to eat!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:confused:

I just praised the brilliance of Dakota Fanning in War OF The World's.:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed! :D

Hmm, I may have to force myself to watch it to see if I've got words to eat!

You might change your mind a bit if you do watch it :) It is creepy though, partly because of the camera angles and what they were able to show in that timeslot. It's certainly got people talking about ED and has shown that it's not just a sleepy little farm soap ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You are on form today, Spungey! :D
    You might change your mind a bit if you do watch it :) It is creepy though, partly because of the camera angles and what they were able to show in that timeslot. It's certainly got people talking about ED and has shown that it's not just a sleepy little farm soap ;-)

Uch, I can't stand it when people describe it as the 'farm soap'. Perhaps we should call the other one the 'murder soap.' :cool: I'll give these episodes a whirl then at some point over the weekend! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Soaps is the only forum I go on.

So I'll change what I said to, all you ever do in the Soaps forum is moan and criticise :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are on form today, Spungey! :D

Uch, I can't stand it when people describe it as the 'farm soap'. Perhaps we should call the other one the 'murder soap.' :cool: I'll give these episodes a whirl then at some point over the weekend! :)

It annoys me too and it's always people who don't watch it and who know nothing about it who call it the 'farm soap'. I agree about calling the other one the 'murder soap' :cool: I hope you enjoy them - mind you 'enjoy' is the wrong word!
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i can't remember her individual performance bur War of the Worlds was a mediocre at best film -I wouldn't imagine it was a stretch for any of the cast:D

As for Lachlan, he has been very good with an extremely difficult story in the recent episodes. Personally. I think it's quite realistic that he's often expressionless abd distant. It reminds me of so many teenagers who you see who appear to be wearing a mask and hiding under their hoods. It's precisely what makes him seem creepy and a bit frightening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was very harrowing and the fact that he seemed so cold and clinical while conmmittibg the act made it more so. If there had been anger, violence, drugs or anything it would have been bad enough, but without this it was even more disturbing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iAs for Lachlan, he has been very good with an extremely difficult story in the recent episodes. Personally. I think it's quite realistic that he's often expressionless abd distant. It reminds me of so many teenagers who you see who appear to be wearing a mask and hiding under their hoods. It's precisely what makes him seem creepy and a bit frightening.

I agree. If he was obvious in an 'in your face' sort of way I wouldn't find him so frightening or compelling. I think his creepiness makes an already harrowing storyline even more harrowing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. If he was obvious in an 'in your face' sort of way I wouldn't find him so frightening or compelling. I think his creepiness makes an already harrowing storyline even more harrowing.

A bit off topic, but theres a sculpture in a local village called Fox Boy, which has a boy with the face of a fox, wearing a hoodie. It's supposed to represent the perceptions we can have of the young people who hang out in the nearby glen.It'd a very disturbing image, but tbh Lachlan has kind if reminded me of ir in the last few days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit off topic, but theres a sculpture in a local village called Fox Boy, which has a boy with the face of a fox, wearing a hoodie. It's supposed to represent the perceptions we can have of the young people who hang out in the nearby glen.It'd a very disturbing image, but tbh Lachlan has kind if reminded me of ir in the last few days.

I'd love to see a picture of Fox Boy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to see a picture of Fox Boy!

You took the words right out of my mouth!
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is one of the big faults of this forum. Too many extremely actors are called brlliant when the vast majority of the are bog standard soap level actors. There is nothing wrong with being a bog standard soap actor btw. It's certainly a lot better than my shitty job.

But this is a soap forum talking about soap actors, so most probably would fall short if compared to Hollywood actors like Meryl Streep. We're talking about soaps so I don't see anything wrong with saying an actor put in a brilliant performance when using the boundaries of soap and other soap actors to compare them to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samcains90 wrote: »
    But this is a soap forum talking about soap actors, so most probably would fall short if compared to Hollywood actors like Meryl Streep. We're talking about soaps so I don't see anything wrong with saying an actor put in a brilliant performance when using the boundaries of soap and other soap actors to compare them to.

I agree that if we are talking only about soap actors and soap standard acting then that is fair enough. Some dont make that difference though, so when they say an actor is amazing that's like them saying a 4th division footballer is up there with Lionel Messi.
This discussion has been closed.