Options

Madonna - Give It 2 Me

VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
Forum Member
The best track from Hard Candy - one of the few good tracks from the whole era - Heartbeat, Miles Away, Beat Goes On, Across The Sky (WHY was this left off the album?).
The album for me is a HUGE mis-step from the sublime COAD

Comments

• Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole Hard Candy era was simply horrible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah it was, but Give It 2 Me is brilliant.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    Yeah it was, but Give It 2 Me is brilliant.

The heavy synth at the start of the chorus is great. Hard Candy isn't a bad album really, it was my soundtrack to a disastrous DIY project :D (don't ask)
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I like it the only part I can't stand is the 'get stupid' bit in the middle. so annoying.
  • Options
    QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have various remixes of GITM on my MP3, but I cannot stand the original. It's the 'get stupid; to the left, to the right' bits that grate on me.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I have various remixes of GITM on my MP3, but I cannot stand the original. It's the 'get stupid; to the left, to the right' bits that grate on me.

that bit ruins the whole song. what's the point in it?
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    that bit ruins the whole song. what's the point in it?

Left left right right builds up to a nice crescendo, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like that song, but I think I prefer Miles Away
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    the problem with hard candy was she was prentending to be Madonna rather than be Madonna, bit of a parody of herself. However, ..the best songs on the album were quite obviously
    4 minutes, Beat Goes On (better than Give it 2 Me), She`s Not Me and the best song on the album Devil Wouldn`t Recognise You (so should have been released in the US! it could have save her hard candy career!)
  • Options
    kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourites from Hard Candy are Miles Away, She's Not Me and Devil Wouldn't Recognise You. Not too keen on Give It 2 Me and I absolutely hate 4 Minutes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hard Candy is one of her best albums, just wished that it was promoted so,so much more! it's excellent and the best album of 2010 for sure!
    Why have people been so critical about it?? mind you it got some excellent reviews, but some wrote it off prior to it's release which is a real shame!

I love the whole era and album and the photography really reflected that toughness and sweetness and a lot of the promo images were really awesome from Steven Kelin who also took images for Confessions and American Life's album.

Give It 2 Me is a real stomper anthemic tune and one of her most greatest songs! it's got everything and more, a real underrated masterpiece of an uptempo which should've reached #1!

for me Hard Candy has grown with age. I love Candy Shop and Beat Goes On as they are very much like that early 80's sound very Lucky Star and Into The Groove with elements of Dress You Up synth and acousticand of course Express Yourself anthemic empowerment!, Incredible is EPIC and very much like Borderline in some ways and She's Not Me reminds me of the Erotica album's Words and Thief Of Hearts! and Devil Wouldn't Recgnize You is a genuine MASTERPIECE! it was in development for years since the Ray Of Light era, then was brought forward to record for her Re-Invention Tour but then FINALLY made the cut for Hard Candy and it is beautiful and i wanted it to be released for a single.

Miles Away is just pure bliss and i wanted a brilliant video for the song and massive airplay, it is a real anthem. Across The Sky should've made the album it's a brilliant tune. 4 Minutes is a modern classic! and Spanish Lesson is just insane fun and a callback to the Latin grooves of La Isla Bonita and Who's That Girl. Voices is like Frozen in a way of being so very haunting and Dance 2 Night really is just an echo back to 70's disco grooves.

but MAAAAn am i glad Ring My Bell didn't make the final cut!!!!!

overall, Hard Candy is an album that has such a very vibrant and artistic feel to it and every year i play it and it reminds me of my final year of Secondary School and me and a mate trying to do that breakdown dance that Madonna and Justin did (not going as far as the conveyor belt at ASDA supermarket but hey!) at the leaver's ball when the DJ put it on :D good times!

for me it's one of her best albums alongside Like A Virgin,True Blue,Like A Prayer,Erotica,Ray Of Light and Confessions On A Dance Floor! i really love the album for so,SO,so many reasons!

here is a talented guy performing a tune to Devil Wouldn't Recognize You on his piano-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itxs3-KMV1g&playnext=1&videos=7AG0p7J2NBs

i love that some of the lyrics it provides a plethora of meanings behind them and it really makes you think if you look deeply. AMAZING production and vocals from Madonna :) 10/10

cannot wait for her next album, the Sticky & Sweet Tour was just extraordinarily awesome! she has so much energy and creativity it's unbelievable. Hard Candy is and always will be an underrated classic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hard Candy is one of her best albums, just wished that it was promoted so,so much more! it's excellent and the best album of 2010 for sure!
    Why have people been so critical about it?? mind you it got some excellent reviews, but some wrote it off prior to it's release which is a real shame!

I love the whole era and album and the photography really reflected that toughness and sweetness and a lot of the promo images were really awesome from Steven Kelin who also took images for Confessions and American Life's album.

Give It 2 Me is a real stomper anthemic tune and one of her most greatest songs! it's got everything and more, a real underrated masterpiece of an uptempo which should've reached #1!

for me Hard Candy has grown with age. I love Candy Shop and Beat Goes On as they are very much like that early 80's sound very Lucky Star and Into The Groove with elements of Dress You Up synth and acousticand of course Express Yourself anthemic empowerment!, Incredible is EPIC and very much like Borderline in some ways and She's Not Me reminds me of the Erotica album's Words and Thief Of Hearts! and Devil Wouldn't Recgnize You is a genuine MASTERPIECE! it was in development for years since the Ray Of Light era, then was brought forward to record for her Re-Invention Tour but then FINALLY made the cut for Hard Candy and it is beautiful and i wanted it to be released for a single.

Miles Away is just pure bliss and i wanted a brilliant video for the song and massive airplay, it is a real anthem. Across The Sky should've made the album it's a brilliant tune. 4 Minutes is a modern classic! and Spanish Lesson is just insane fun and a callback to the Latin grooves of La Isla Bonita and Who's That Girl. Voices is like Frozen in a way of being so very haunting and Dance 2 Night really is just an echo back to 70's disco grooves.

but MAAAAn am i glad Ring My Bell didn't make the final cut!!!!!

overall, Hard Candy is an album that has such a very vibrant and artistic feel to it and every year i play it and it reminds me of my final year of Secondary School and me and a mate trying to do that breakdown dance that Madonna and Justin did (not going as far as the conveyor belt at ASDA supermarket but hey!) at the leaver's ball when the DJ put it on :D good times!

for me it's one of her best albums alongside Like A Virgin,True Blue,Like A Prayer,Erotica,Ray Of Light and Confessions On A Dance Floor! i really love the album for so,SO,so many reasons!

here is a talented guy performing a tune to Devil Wouldn't Recognize You on his piano-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itxs3-KMV1g&playnext=1&videos=7AG0p7J2NBs

i love that some of the lyrics it provides a plethora of meanings behind them and it really makes you think if you look deeply. AMAZING production and vocals from Madonna :) 10/10

cannot wait for her next album, the Sticky & Sweet Tour was just extraordinarily awesome! she has so much energy and creativity it's unbelievable. Hard Candy is and always will be an underrated classic.

Wow, you really love this record....I have to say I disagree though. Spanish Lesson is hideous, She's Not Me and Incredible are tuneless and overlong. Candy Shop is lyrically embarrassing for a woman of 50 odd - "Sticky & Sweet ewww" dried up and musty would be more like it. DAnce 2Night would be MUCH MUCH better without Justin,as it's quite a funky tune and has an awesome chorus(Madonna, I'm takin' you to the bingo!" would be more appropriate.
    This sounds like it should've been released after Bedtime Stories...to follow albums like Ray Of Light, American Life and Music is frankly embarrassing. COAD was a throwback to her early years - but the songs don't come across like a middle aged woman acting like a sexually frustrated tart - Like It Or Not, Fighting Spirit, Get Together, Hung Up, SOrry....not a mention of her "Candy Store"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really didn't like the Hard Candy era, but GITM is one of my favourite Madonna songs, so at least one good thing came out of it. That and a few remixes are the only things I liked.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was a #1 smash waiting to happen.

(if Lady Gaga had released it).
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart Price was apparently keen to produce the follow up to Confessions...unfortunately, Madonna decided to go down the generic R & B/Timbaland/Timberlake route instead, because Confessions didn't sell well (by her standards) in the US...let's hope she makes a decent album next time, rather than a patchy one
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the 'get stupid' bit drags the song down :-(

Hated this era, its just embarrassing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't understand why there's some hate geared towards Hard Candy...honestly:rolleyes:

i personally didn't like it when she went political during the American Life era but there was some redeeming features to the album and some great acoustics there and guitar work :)

Hard Candy had so much success with the Sticky & Sweet tour i never understood why it was a slow burner and criticised by some people. Well i stated why i loved the era i was initially worried that it would echo back to Bedtime Stories which was a solidly produced album but nevertheless was created for some soothing purposes and fresh grooves as opposed to a major EPIC album by her prior release standards and what was to come later but the singles were 4 of her greatest EVER!

i rank Hard Candy as high as Confessions was, Confessions was about her kinda early beginning and that spiritual futuristic approach and about the concept of her New York beginnings and takes a whole journey through dance as a concept and again was a masterpiece! Hard Candy has insane fun,amazing production,surefire lyrics,brilliant vocals,and some of the greatest uptempo's and balladry work i have ever heard and so many dismiss it and are ageist weirdo's who are critical about the most minute things but in reality...who cares!?!!? plus it broke records by being #1 across 37 countries and here's hoping her next will match and BEAT that record (every era seems to break the previous' records!)

but hey i have my personal views and others have theirs i just don't see why some have so much detest for something really slickly produced and written and on the back cover i love that kinda bend down dismissed slouch she has on the pedastol it's really iconic and i love it! and a few photo's on the inlay have that Buffy/Xena/ROcky combo toughness poses that shows she's still a very empowered woman and a tough as nails artist and that Give It 2 Me/M-Dolla belt and ring reminds me of the Boy Toy belt on the cover of Like A Virgin so much and that jewellery on Like A Prayer's imagery too it just adds to the album it's so good and the swiled lolly background is a fantastic design and very 70's looking retro style which i love also!

it always makes me agry more singles weren't released from the album, i love it it really matches Gwen Stefani's Love.Angel.Music.Baby and No Doubt's Rock Steady to feature Pharrell's GREATEST production on a disc and Timbaland's final moments of music quality perfection and experimental bliss.

Now this leaves one thing,A NEW MADONNA ALBUM NEXT YEAR PLEASE!!!!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm not much of a Madonna fan but I like this song, reminds me of my secondary school graduation :) ('cause it came out the year I was leaving school) It's quite good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not much of a Madonna fan but I like this song, reminds me of my secondary school graduation :) ('cause it came out the year I was leaving school) It's quite good.

thats why i love the era! it reminds me so much of my final year of secondary school and that joyous final year and just everything about it :)

also when i saw her live last July...WOW! seeing those songs live and that energy, it was something to behold one my my all time favourite artists in front of you at their most energetic best and that presence...no one can match her! i can see her filling and rocking out stadiums in 15 years time! i really can, she's a raw entertainer and her concerts are properly theatrical i just wish i was alive to see the Blonde Ambition Tour and Girlie Show(i was only a year old!) live and get that whole vibe...they should REALLY put Blonde Ambition on DVD!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    This is a great song and album in fact to work to whilst in the gym or going for a run!

I wish she had released She's Not Me over Miles Away.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,749
    Forum Member
    One of my favourite Madonna songs :)
  • Options
    PaulJoseph22PaulJoseph22 Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this song and the hard candy album. I think it transferred to a live show brilliantly. I saw the shows in 2008/9. Brilliant!,,, I also saw the reinvention tour in slain, over eighty thousand fans an amazing day.....also saw the confessions tour.....fantastic......... My fave album is like a prayer..... Turned Madonna into a credible artist.....Although she always was..... But this made her credible in the eyes of the critics..... I love this album......
  • Options
    musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    The only song i liked from her Hard candy era. Gutted this never made the Celebration album and yet Miles Away (which bombed compared to Give it to me) made it.
  • Options
    sej17sej17 Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    I'm in my forties and I've always liked Madonna and her music without being a particular fan and liked particularly Into The Groove, Open Your Heart and Live To Tell back in the 1980's. I've bought a few singles and albums over the years however, I COMPLETELY LOVED Confessions On A Dance Floor which I bought as soon as it was released having heard Hung Up. There isn't a single dud song on the whole album. It's really cool classy disco dance pop and is in my opinion one of the best albums ever by anyone.

Hard Candy however................

I didn't buy it as I didn't like the singles and extracts that I heard. I think Give It To Me was ok'ish/passable but the other songs I heard really didn't do it for me after COAD.

Does anyone know when a new Madonna album will come and if she is going to do more COAD type music? I love Celebration and really want her to do the type of music she does best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    I love Hard Candy. My favs were;
    Give it 2 Me
    Dance 2night - Has a great 80's club feel
    She's not Me
    Miles Away
    Beat Goes On
    Incredible
    4 Minutes