The North/South Divide - differences?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,398
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I thought it might be fun to start a thread and examine if there really are that many differences between the North/South and the way we live?

I guess it's just a case of copy paste and replace the answers with your own? Maybe add some new questions too?

Where you live: Liverpool
What you call your mother: Mam
What you call your father: Dad
A decent house in your city (nice area) would cost: £250K
Takeaway chips might come with: Gravy or Ketchup
Current fashion for girl's hair: Wavy, brown, loose and long
Favourite part of a Sunday dinner: Yorkshire pudding

I'd be interested to see if there really is a North/South divide.

:)

Comments

• BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have we not done this all before :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not all of us have 6000+ posts under our belt. Can you point me to the thread where this was done before? I'll gladly read it and take part?

Maybe Digital spy needs an 'infants' section, for those of us who weren't around when the 'juniors' learned their stuff? :D
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    North - full of people being victimised by the Tory government and their Lib Dem puppets.
    South - full of people sneering with glee at the pain in the North.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    North - full of people being victimised by the Tory government and their Lib Dem puppets.

Hmmmmnnn...I'm in the north, but I don't feel the least bit victimised by the Tory government or their "Lib Dem puppets".

Sorry.

I actually welcome the change. It's refreshing.
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm from the North, the people in the South would do well to remember they have us Northerners, we've only got them.:D
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where you live: Near Windsor, Berkshire
    What you call your mother: Mum
    What you call your father: Dad
    A decent house in your city (nice area) would cost: £250/300K
    Takeaway chips might come with: Salt n vinegar
    Current fashion for girl's hair: spiral hair extentions
    Favourite part of a Sunday dinner: Brussell sprouts
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nope, not me.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    classixuk wrote: »
    Hmmmmnnn...I'm in the north, but I don't feel the least bit victimised by the Tory government or their "Lib Dem puppets".

Sorry.

I actually welcome the change. It's refreshing.

The Conservatives are mostly only for the well off. Not many up here likes them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I call my mother - mutha
    I called my dad - fatha
    House prices are about £50-£80,000 for the average house.
    Lasses hair's normally straightened with hair straighteners.

That's it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The Conservatives are mostly only for the well off. Not many up here likes them.

Huh? If the Conservatives are mostly only for the well off, then how come my brother got to go to a private grammar school (scholarship) and then go on to get a free university education under them in the 80's despite the fact he came from a single parent family on benefits?

I really can't understand that one at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huh? If the Conservatives are mostly only for the well off, then how come my brother got to go to a private grammar school (scholarship) and then go on to get a free university education under them in the 80's despite the fact he came from a single parent family on benefits?

I really can't understand that one at all.

That's not the case in the North East. They/she was an absolute sod to us back then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not the case in the North East. They/she was an absolute sod to us back then.

LOL. You're talking to a Geordie man. I went to school in Durham, lived in Kelloe and lived in Gateshead/Newcastle too up until the age of 19 when I left the UK for a couple of years.

Things weren't so bad. Like I said...my brother was able to acheive stuff that kids from those estates wouldn't get funded for nowadays. ;)
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Can we just clarify that the south-west i.e. Devon and Cornwall doesn't deserve to be included in the term 'the South'. We're more like a part of Wales or Southern Ireland than part of 'the South'. In fact Land's End is as far from London as Hadrian's Wall.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    North: Traditionally a sh*thole, not much money about, victim mentality, cheap to live, low wages, Heterosexuals, full-strength Lager, Geordie slappers, Charva's, Royle Family, Blackpool Beach, likely to drive a Fiesta.

South: Historically a sh*thole, too much money about, superiority complex, expensive to live, high wages, Metrosexuals, Pimms, Essex girls, Chav's, Royal Family, Brighton Beach, likely to drive a Merc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can we just clarify that the south-west i.e. Devon and Cornwall doesn't deserve to be included in the term 'the South'. We're more like a part of Wales or Southern Ireland than part of 'the South'. In fact Land's End is as far from London as Hadrian's Wall.

I never knew that!

I'm guessing that your answer for takeaway chips would be: wrapped in pastry with jam in the corner?

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL. You're talking to a Geordie man. I went to school in Durham, lived in Kelloe and lived in Gateshead/Newcastle too up until the age of 19 when I left the UK for a couple of years.

Things weren't so bad. Like I said...my brother was able to acheive stuff that kids from those estates wouldn't get funded for nowadays. ;)

Then I'm puzzled by your comments. Conservatives are not that liked up here for the havoc they wreaked back then ..... which is why they didn't stand a chance up here when the elections came.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

South - Full of people who spent 13 years being screwed over by the Labour government

North - Full of people rubbing their hands together about the South getting screwed over
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then I'm puzzled by your comments. Conservatives are not that liked up here for the havoc they wreaked back then ..... which is why they didn't stand a chance up here when the elections came.

I think that says more about the people who live up here than the Tories.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    I think that says more about the people who live up here than the Tories.

Whatever. They can't be trusted as far as the less well off go.
  • MindeeMindee Posts: 22,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is there a North/South divide?

There is large part of this country known as "The Midlands". Here we look upon the North as any place above Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire/Staffs.and the South as anywhere below Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Worcestershire. Me ?....I'm very happily stuck in the middle. Not a dividing line thank you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I guess I've always tried to think for myself.

I'm proud of my roots and I love the North-east, but just as I didn't walk around in Kappa simply because everyone else was doing so, I also didn't make my political judgements based on what a few others on the estate were saying. Instead, I judged the people who were doleing out the sentiment and formed my opinions from there. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mindee wrote: »
    Why is there a North/South divide?

There is large part of this country known as "The Midlands". Here we look upon the North as any place above Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire/Staffs.and the South as anywhere below Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Worcestershire. Me ?....I'm very happily stuck in the middle. Not a dividing line thank you.

I don't have anything against the South.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever. They can't be trusted as far as the less well off go.

I'm still not seeing why you say this? Can you give us a personal example of exactly how the government put up a brick wall around the wonderful area that is Consett?

:confused:
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having lived in both, I'd say the divide was largely a Northern fantasy.

As for the political divide, you only have to look at a map of how the country voted in 2010 to see it's urban/rural not north/south.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2010UKElectionMap.svg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess I've always tried to think for myself.

I'm proud of my roots and I love the North-east, but just as I didn't walk around in Kappa simply because everyone else was doing so, I also didn't make my political judgements based on what a few others on the estate were saying. Instead, I judged the people who were doleing out the sentiment and formed my opinions from there. ;)

I made my decisions based on that whenever they were in power, our businesses started to suffer ..... like they're starting to again.