London Overground vs NLL

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,044
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For any of those that have used the North London Line for years (when it was run by National Rail and Silverlink) has the London Overground improved things there or have they made things worse?

Comments

• jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    The answer is that things have obviously improved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It still is a NR rail line, just the Silverlink branding changed to LO. It's much better than it used to be , a lot of the stations have been done up to TfL standards.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The East London Line was taken over by London Overground. It goes further now and has nicer trains, but the lifts in Wapping still break, even after an 18 month closure for renovation. Much of a muchness I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take a look at Highbury & Islington station on a Saturday afternoon; the platforms are busy busy, and the train frequency means it's worth turning up without checking the timetable first.

An enormous difference from the depressing dirty gear-driven carriages and desolate platforms of the old NLL. I would guess it's doing wonders for Shoreditch and Spitalfields retail.

I took a Hackney friend down to the Horniman museum in Dulwich and then afternoon tea near Rotherhithe; she was amazed by how these previously unreachable areas were now available at the waving of an Oyster card.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would never have used it if it weren't for it being accessible for those with an Oyster card, so I guess there is an improvement as it's more busier and therefore more of a regular service.
  • FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the London Overground is more wheelchair friendly than the former NLL.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use it ...........it's improved massively since it was taken over by TFL

New trains, can use your oyster card..........it's more or less just been made part of the tube system
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RadioRob wrote: »

An enormous difference from the depressing dirty gear-driven carriages and desolate platforms of the old NLL. I would guess it's doing wonders for Shoreditch and Spitalfields retail.

Shoreditch is really thriving now, especially at night time. Some of the best bars and clubs in London are there and Hackney in general.
    Forum Member
    Personally, I think they should electrify Gospel Oak - Barking.

The class 372 Turbostars could then be cascaded to another part of the the UK rail network, hopefully to replace some Pacers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_Oak_to_Barking_Line
  • estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The London Overground is a vast improvement on the old NLL. More frequent trains, refurbished stations, new routes and further extensions which will finally bring Clapham Junction into the 'tube' network.

One of Ken Livingston's finest achievements... just shows what can be achieved with a mayor who actually does what he was elected to do.
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The LO is a vast improvement above the previous ELL and NLL. It's a pity that TfL have ruled out running it as a circular service (because of potential unreliability), but it's still a great service.

It's also disappointing that they didn't integrate the DLR and LO at Shadwell properly.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    It's also disappointing that they didn't integrate the DLR and LO at Shadwell properly.

big improvement though, the 'back' entrance to shadwell LO makes it much easier. and new stairwells going up on the DLR. Can't really see how they could get them much closer really, without silly amounts of work and expense.
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    big improvement though, the 'back' entrance to shadwell LO makes it much easier. and new stairwells going up on the DLR. Can't really see how they could get them much closer really, without silly amounts of work and expense.

Yes... I'm just quibbling really.

The interchange between JLE and DLR at Canary Wharf is much worse.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Overground's awesome. Nice clean trains, good air-conditioning... I can get from Dalston to Forest Hill in 30 minutes, which is great.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The LO is a vast improvement above the previous ELL and NLL. It's a pity that TfL have ruled out running it as a circular service (because of potential unreliability), but it's still a great service.

I'm not fully up to speed,where is the extension they've started building from Clapham Junction running to then?
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    I'm not fully up to speed,where is the extension they've started building from Clapham Junction running to then?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_South_London_Line#East_London_Line_extension

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_London_line_extension#Phase_2

Yes, because if they did have a fully circular service, you'd probably get the same problems that were present on the Circle Line, before they changed the route.
    Forum Member
    Franglais wrote: »
    I think the London Overground is more wheelchair friendly than the former NLL.

Any new stations built have to comply with current legislation, i.e. provide access for disabled people to all parts of the station.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/RightsAndObligations/DisabilityRights/DG_4001068

The latest tube maps, which also list London Overground, show which stations on the network have access for disabled passengers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Personally, I think they should electrify Gospel Oak - Barking.

The class 372 Turbostars could then be cascaded to another part of the the UK rail network, hopefully to replace some Pacers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_Oak_to_Barking_Line

I agree as it could have the potential to bring in longer direct routes to Barking from let's say Willesden Junction or Richmond or Clapham Junction and the trains on the route would be more efficient.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks jra.