Singles that kick started or saved a career

Comments

• cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Texas - Say What You Want

Up until that single they'd had just ONE top 10 hit and lots of low charting singles. Say What You Want was the 1st of a phenomenal run of BIG hits.

Thankfully they had a patient record company. Most acts don't get the time to develop. If they don't deliver they usually get dropped.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Beautiful by Ms.Aguilera

and then again with not myself tonight......... lol jk
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Maneater/Promiscuous by Nelly furtardo
  • Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna - Hung Up
    Britney Spears - Womanizer
    Rihanna - Umbrella
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pictures of Matchstick Men, got Quo started in 1968, after one more hit in 1968, It was not until Paper Plane hit in 1972 that they got their next top ten hit and that song started the ball rolling for their golden period.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't Mariah Carey branded a flop between 2001 and 2004 when none of her tracks eve charted in the Top 75 in the US, until she released It's Like That which did well, and then the next single, We Belong Together was absolutely huge.

Also Maroon 5 with Moves Like Jagger and Outkast with Ms Jackson really kicked off their career.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps

Madonna - Frozen

but perhaps not

I would say that it re established her career and presented her as a mature women who was at ease with her age (coming up to 40 at the time). This maturity was reflected in her music. The production was by William Orbit and a lot of it was dance based.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'It's not right but it's okay'- Whitney Houston. Gave her a more contemporary r and b sound to the late 90's and early noughties.
  • axlgodaxlgod Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Walk This Way - Aerosmith/Run DMC

Even though a reworked Aerosmith song, that one collaboration saved Aerosmiths' career.
  • SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ally_Bowie wrote: »
    Also

Abba - SOS....for a short while before they released this they were seen pretty much as a one hit wonder as the records that followed on from Waterloo didn't really catch on, then came SOS....you know the rest.

Ring Ring didnt follow Waterloo, it was released prior to it. I know, I bought it before Abba were on Eurovision and still have my copy. It was re-released following the Eurovision contest, but there were already a lot of single copies in the second hand market by then so the re-release didnt sell as well as it would have.

The follow-up single I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, although it wasnt big in the sales chart, was massively played on radio, a so-called turntable hit. I dont think you could say they didnt really catch on, its just that the production, pressing and marketing teams only got their act together properly with the release of SOS.
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    Texas - Say What You Want

Up until that single they'd had just ONE top 10 hit and lots of low charting singles. Say What You Want was the 1st of a phenomenal run of BIG hits.

Thankfully they had a patient record company. Most acts don't get the time to develop. If they don't deliver they usually get dropped.

Great example.

R.E.M.'s 'Losing My Religion' I suppose could be argued as a song that kick started a career in the UK. Perhaps in the US it was more 'The One I Love.' It's amazing to think that they had released 6 albums before 'Out of Time.' I know there were distribution and other problems with the band's former record labels though.

Bon Jovi's 'You Give Love A Bad Name' is definitely one that falls into the category.
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    axlgod wrote: »
    Walk This Way - Aerosmith/Run DMC

Even though a reworked Aerosmith song, that one collaboration saved Aerosmiths' career.

Definitely. I watched a 'behind the music' type documentary (it may well have been 'Behind the Music' actually) about Aerosmith a few years ago and the band members interviewed pretty much agreed that they were in a bad state in the early-mid 1980s and said that the collaboration with Run DMC helped them in several ways. The track definitely put Aerosmith back into the fold and the album 'Permanent Vacation' from the following year cemented that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The Kinks' Lola
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    I think Rihanna 'Umbrella' and Beyonce 'Crazy in Love' definitely kick started her solo career.
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Wasn't Mariah Carey branded a flop between 2001 and 2004 when none of her tracks eve charted in the Top 75 in the US, until she released It's Like That which did well, and then the next single, We Belong Together was absolutely huge.

Also Maroon 5 with Moves Like Jagger and Outkast with Ms Jackson really kicked off their career.

Definitely We Belong Together, sure it had like 11 weeks at the top in America. Such a fantastic song, It's Like That paved the way for people to notice her again, then she knocked it straight out the park with WBT.

When Love Takes Over revitalised Kelly Rowlands career, and really put Guetta in the public eye. Both have done
    brilliantly since.

Also Bills Bills Bills really started DC off, No, No, No did well, but it was Bills Bills Bills and the whole Writings on the Wall album that really set them up for their amazing careers.
  • anteroantero Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    Rolling in the Deep - Adele, she really wasn't that big here or in America till that; I used to see her as a critics choice rather than a pop star until that song
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    antero wrote: »
    Rolling in the Deep - Adele, she really wasn't that big here or in America till that; I used to see her as a critics choice rather than a pop star until that song

Make You Feel My Love became huge thanks to the X Factor. RITD/21 came along at the perfect time.

Her growth seemed like a natural progression rather than a kickstart to be honest, 19 did well, got bigger through word of mouth and by the time 21 came out, there was a whole audience desperate for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Angels Robbie Williams
    Beautiful christina Aguilera
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Everyone

Want to start a thread about singles that have saved or kick started a career.
    so any help is most welcome

i will start with one
    Atomic Kitten -Whole again.

This was a huge song for them and kick started theire short lived career.

Britney Spears- Baby One More time- MASSIVE single
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say Dirrty by Christina Aguilera in spite of Genie in Bottle getting to number one.
  • ack1990ack1990 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    'It's not right but it's okay'- Whitney Houston. Gave her a more contemporary r and b sound to the late 90's and early noughties.

I Will Always Love You (and The Bodyguard) kind of saved her career as well.
  • DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We Belong Together reignited Mariah's career.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    BEP - where is the love?

Good choice. I was aware of the group's existence before then but had never heard any of their songs on the radio.
  • coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you raise me up - westlife definitely saved them
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicki Minaj's Super Bass...I know she's not everybody's cup of tea but credit to the girl getting mainstream recognition and a job on Idol off of releasing a bonus track from her first album, and (who would have thought!) wee girls as fans.