Options

Skyq Uhd

Comments

• Options
    Keith_Rigby1Keith_Rigby1 Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    I have spent £199 on a new TV and the picture and sound are fantastic, and I still see the same programmes as you will see on your £700 grand TV, it's a world gone mad....😲

I agree with you,i wish my tv cost £199 in fact when this tv i have dies a death i wont be shelling out silly cash again (£700) on a new one, i only paid that because i get a 25% discount from sony.
  • Options
    BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you,i wish my tv cost £199 in fact when this tv i have dies a death i wont be shelling out silly cash again (£700) on a new one, i only paid that because i get a 25% discount from sony.

I can guarantee your Sony tv won't have anywhere near the features and quality as a 4K TV costing 2K

People will always defend their purchase and this is why I never use consumer reviews when buying stuff because no one is going to admit being a dope when buying a crap appliance.
    It amazes me at work how many people think the bigger the better when it comes to TV's too. "seen my 55" tv mate...... Only cost me a grand that did!!!!!!

I usually answer with something like "pictures a bit gash mate"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BOOTHY2905 wrote: »
    I can guarantee your Sony tv won't have anywhere near the features and quality as a 4K TV costing 2K

People will always defend their purchase and this is why I never use consumer reviews when buying stuff because no one is going to admit being a dope when buying a crap appliance.
    It amazes me at work how many people think the bigger the better when it comes to TV's too. "seen my 55" tv mate...... Only cost me a grand that did!!!!!!

I usually answer with something like "pictures a bit gash mate"

i agree with you, its just a matter of choice, I work for sony so i was able to pick a lovely 36 inch flat screen, that suits my need, 4 hdmi ech, great picture and good sound, As for spending 2k on a tv, i have better things to spend my money on, but why would i need it,? i see no point whatsoever in spending that amount of cash, when i have what i want for a fraction of the cost.
  • Options
    Robin ArmitageRobin Armitage Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    i agree with you, its just a matter of choice, I work for sony so i was able to pick a lovely 36 inch flat screen, that suits my need, 4 hdmi ech, great picture and good sound, As for spending 2k on a tv, i have better things to spend my money on, but why would i need it,? i see no point whatsoever in spending that amount of cash, when i have what i want for a fraction of the cost.

Sanctimonious claptrap.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sanctimonious claptrap.....

I will tell you whats claptrtap people going out and spending 3k on a tv and then spending £199 quid on a skyq box and then spending £85 a month on a skyq subscription, so look in your own backyard before you have a go at other people.
    As for me spending £700 on a sony tv, thats my choice, i have no wish to subscribe to sky, to watch rubbish HD film channels, and watch 18min of adverts in every one hr of programing. your the one talking claptrap!
  • Options
    GlobalRadioGlobalRadio Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will tell you whats claptrtap people going out and spending 3k on a tv and then spending £199 quid on a skyq box and then spending £85 a month on a skyq subscription, so look in your own backyard before you have a go at other people.
    As for me spending £700 on a sony tv, thats my choice, i have no wish to subscribe to sky, to watch rubbish HD film channels, and watch 18min of adverts in every one hr of programing. your the one talking claptrap!

Surely that is an individuals choice? Just as it is your choice to spend what you feel is right on a TV and decide if paying a sub to Sky TV is right for you or not.

We are not all going to agree on what we should or shouldn't spend our hard earned cash on, are we? Some people may prefer to spend money on nights out, some people may prefer to spend money at the cinema, some prefer to spend money on the latest tech. Each to their own.

PS I wouldn't spend £3000 on a TV, just don't have that kind of cash, but good luck to those who can :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely that is an individuals choice? Just as it is your choice to spend what you feel is right on a TV and decide if paying a sub to Sky TV is right for you or not.

We are not all going to agree on what we should or shouldn't spend our hard earned cash on, are we? Some people may prefer to spend money on nights out, some people may prefer to spend money at the cinema, some prefer to spend money on the latest tech. Each to their own.

Yes i agree i dont have a problem with what people spend there hard earned cash on, i just dont like it when i get told i am talking claptrap, for giving my opinion, i use to subscribe to sky, i dont now, thats my choice, i just dont think its value for money anymore, and the way sky go about price rises every year, does not sit well with me. its not claptrap, but its my opinion, and everybody on D/S has an opinion, as i have said on a number of times, this site would be very sad, if all we done was pat sky on the back and said, well done on putting your prices up by another 10% again.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you, its only my opinion i work for SONY UK, so i see lots of stuff everyday, in 4k i see very good SD every day, And very good HD, i see very good 4k and very average 4k when the football is shown. As for 4k being a fad, we shall see. But from what i have seen, and thats a lot. 4k will go the same way as 3D.( My opinion) A lot of stuff i watch i am hard pushed to tell if the stuff i am watching is in HD or 4k when the tvs are side by side, especially when football is being shown.

Not everything was ever going to go 3D and people decided they didn't really care about 3D.

It's not the same when UHD is the same content as HD, but at a higher resolution (and maybe more colours which I don't think will be a fad). It's like arguing that 1Gb broadband is a fad and will be like 3D, suggesting that both Ultra fast broadband and UHD will somehow be axed and we'll go back to slower speeds and lower resolutions.

It's simply not going to happen. All that might is that broadcasters switch to UHD, but some people choose to downscale to a normal FHD TV.

Ultra HD, and later 8K, suits bigger screens better. I have a 42in TV now so UHD at that size would be pointless, but I'm now looking at 55 or maybe even 65in next time.

I think as prices fall, and people renovate their homes around a big screen TV, more people will buy a bigger screen and UHD will be valued.

But, unlike 3D, content is still going to be made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Not everything was ever going to go 3D and people decided they didn't really care about 3D.

It's not the same when UHD is the same content as HD, but at a higher resolution (and maybe more colours which I don't think will be a fad). It's like arguing that 1Gb broadband is a fad and will be like 3D, suggesting that both Ultra fast broadband and UHD will somehow be axed and we'll go back to slower speeds and lower resolutions.

It's simply not going to happen. All that might is that broadcasters switch to UHD, but some people choose to downscale to a normal FHD TV.

Ultra HD, and later 8K, suits bigger screens better. I have a 42in TV now so UHD at that size would be pointless, but I'm now looking at 55 or maybe even 65in next time.

I think as prices fall, and people renovate their homes around a big screen TV, more people will buy a bigger screen and UHD will be valued.

Yep. 4k is not a fad. everyone getting Q ask's when is the 4K coming?
    3D was a fad because of having to wear glasses and it reduced picture quality.
    4K on sky platform will transform the broadcasting in this country because it's the most reliable platform and sky will push it to the maximum so it doesn't fail. like always.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep. 4k is not a fad. everyone getting Q ask's when is the 4K coming?
    3D was a fad because of having to wear glasses and it reduced picture quality.
    4K on sky platform will transform the broadcasting in this country because it's the most reliable platform and sky will push it to the maximum so it doesn't fail. like always.

I think your being very optimistic if you think the take up on skyq is going to be massive, it does not have anything much different than SKY+HD other than recording 4 shows, and 4k, i just cant see people shelling out on a new skyq subscription, and a new 4k tv, just for the sake of them 2 selling points, i think they will sell lots of skyq, to start of with, but out of 12 million subscribers i cant see people wanting to rush to skyq for what is no more channels than they have now, and a 18 month subscription, and a skyq box that does not belong to you if you cancel your subscription.
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What more the Broadcom hardware SOC in the SkyQ box Supports BT2020 ( though not Dolby vision ) .
    Broadcom finally released a driver this month which enable proper 4k output, upscaling from SD and HD in the correct colour space and correctly flagging HDR which has done wonders for the VU+ solo 4k.

This was probably a barrier to Sky launching 4k as the colours were off as everything was flagged as BT2020 when it should be rec 709 when 2160p was selected on the older drivers. I'm sure calibrators and av enthusiasts would of noticed.

I've had treat watching BT sport UHD this season, beating the pants out of watching in HD. Insight UHD and Funbox 4k are great too, and I'll be setup with Tivusat ready for the 8 Euro 2016 games in UHD.

Just need sky to join the party.
  • Options
    unouno Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ragnarok- Not much longer to wait for Sky UHD and I am sure there will be a big spike in Sky Q sales soon.

There is a new UHD box coming out in July especially for the licensed trade and don't be surprised to see BT sport UHD on Sky before October with talks commencing again in the last few weeks.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    uno wrote: »
    Ragnarok- Not much longer to wait for Sky UHD and I am sure there will be a big spike in Sky Q sales soon.

There is a new UHD box coming out in July especially for the licensed trade and don't be surprised to see BT sport UHD on Sky before October with talks commencing again in the last few weeks.

Any idea what channels will be UHD? Will premiership matches be or even the some euro matches?
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes i agree i dont have a problem with what people spend there hard earned cash on, i just dont like it when i get told i am talking claptrap, for giving my opinion, i use to subscribe to sky, i dont now, thats my choice, i just dont think its value for money anymore, and the way sky go about price rises every year, does not sit well with me. its not claptrap, but its my opinion, and everybody on D/S has an opinion, as i have said on a number of times, this site would be very sad, if all we done was pat sky on the back and said, well done on putting your prices up by another 10% again.

As you have been told countless times, the prices did not go up by 10%, why do you keep saying this?
  • Options
    Robin ArmitageRobin Armitage Posts: 487
    Forum Member

For someone who has no interest in SKY, UHD, decent AV kit ..you spend an awful lot of time talking about it.

More a case of no knowledge, no money, no life.......
  • Options
    Random PrecisionRandom Precision Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    I agree from what i have seen the nature programs look better in 4k than the football, 4k will go the same way as 3D it will be a fad. the way i see it is if you have a good tv with a good picture, what more do you want, some people will not watch a program if its in SD thats how daft things have got. A picture is a picture, i can still see whats going on, even in SD its still a good picture.
    What utter twaddle.
  • Options
    Random PrecisionRandom Precision Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    The only people who whinge on about paying 3 to 4K on a tv are those who can't afford them.
  • Options
    JARVJARV Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry but that's what I did last year, £2,300 on Samsung UHD TV, signed up to BTTV UHD Channel and now have SKY Q to sit along side
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I paid some £4k on a Philips Aurea and while it has some judder on motion (early generation processing) I'm still happy with it, and will keep it until I find a perfect replacement - which is likely to be quite costly. The cost spread over 7 or 8 years suddenly doesn't look so bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only people who whinge on about paying 3 to 4K on a tv are those who can't afford them.

Whinge :D, The thing is i can afford a 4k tv (not that its got anything to do with you), its just i have more sense than spend my hard earned on a tv i dont need, Just so i can see the same game and nature show in SD or HD, as you watch in Blow your mind cutting edge world shattering 4k :D, (who cares), your having a laugh if you think people are going to fall for the latest scam from sky, to take yet more cash of them, 3 grand for a tv, :)
    And then if thats not enough after shelling out 3k on a 4k tv, you are shelling out £75 a month to sky for 18 months. what joy.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand people saying they can't see the difference between 720 and 1020 HD, and I can see how people might not see the difference on a small TV set, or when standing a long way away.

But come on, suggesting there's barely any difference between SD, HD and UHD is laughable.

How about a 177x144 pixel video? As long as the bitrate is good, I'm assuming that will look as good too?

The best thing about UHD will be the HDR capabilities. Are you going to say you can't really tell the difference between different colours? If so, I've got a VGA 256 colour monitor you can have.
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »

There's still plenty of 3D content still being made and Sky are still adding 3D content to their On-demand service.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Whinge :D, The thing is i can afford a 4k tv (not that its got anything to do with you), its just i have more sense than spend my hard earned on a tv i dont need, Just so i can see the same game and nature show in SD or HD, as you watch in Blow your mind cutting edge world shattering 4k :D, (who cares), your having a laugh if you think people are going to fall for the latest scam from sky, to take yet more cash of them, 3 grand for a tv, :)
    And then if thats not enough after shelling out 3k on a 4k tv, you are shelling out £75 a month to sky for 18 months. what joy.:D

Right. You don't want it thats fine. But keep it shut in regards to people like me who DO want it. Personally i couldn't sit and watch a crap £200 telly. You can and thats your choice. Thing is, i don't think you can afford to. Because if you did, you wouldn't have bought a cheap telly in the first place.

I spent £2k of MY money that I earn on a telly that gives me a stunning picture. You spent £200 on a telly that will give a very, very mediocre HD picture at best.

Oh, and if you had seen 4K on a decent telly, you certainly would not be thinking it's a scam!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think your being very optimistic if you think the take up on skyq is going to be massive, it does not have anything much different than SKY+HD other than recording 4 shows, and 4k, i just cant see people shelling out on a new skyq subscription, and a new 4k tv, just for the sake of them 2 selling points, i think they will sell lots of skyq, to start of with, but out of 12 million subscribers i cant see people wanting to rush to skyq for what is no more channels than they have now, and a 18 month subscription, and a skyq box that does not belong to you if you cancel your subscription.

Again you seem to think your opinion is fact.
    I see it everyday, people want it and it offers much more than you just described.
    I'm not being optimistic at all.
    you obviously have no clue if you think it's good for 2 sllling points.
    wifi access points on all boxes, Airplay to the boxes individually, Tablets pose as touch screen mobile TV's simultaneously with STB's viewing, Youtube and Vevo music streaming, cast your devices and navigate youtube easier than swapping to smart TV version. not to mention the future where I would think an app store would be something positive. Multiroom boxes can be moved around the home without the need for cabling.
    If you ain't got sky and hatae it so much why oh why are you trolling like you do??
  • Options
    methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Again you seem to think your opinion is fact.
    I see it everyday, people want it and it offers much more than you just described.
    I'm not being optimistic at all.
    you obviously have no clue if you think it's good for 2 sllling points.
    wifi access points on all boxes, Airplay to the boxes individually, Tablets pose as touch screen mobile TV's simultaneously with STB's viewing, Youtube and Vevo music streaming, cast your devices and navigate youtube easier than swapping to smart TV version. not to mention the future where I would think an app store would be something positive. Multiroom boxes can be moved around the home without the need for cabling.
    If you ain't got sky and hatae it so much why oh why are you trolling like you do??

You forgot to mention that SkyQ Silver can record four channels whilst you watch a fifth channel live another good USP.