Options

Supergirl - another axe??

So after reading Agent Carter is for the chop now Supergirl is at risk. Superb show with high quality production values, but too expensive to make??? Surely they realise this before going into production? Again, idiotic US TV Execs!

Comments

• Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whereas I've read that Supergirl will likely get a second season. Nothing anyone can do about it anyway, can only wait for news.
  • Options
    not_the_doctornot_the_doctor Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So after reading Agent Carter is for the chop now Supergirl is at risk. Superb show with high quality production values, but too expensive to make??? Surely they realise this before going into production? Again, idiotic US TV Execs!
    Nothing idiotic about it. The budget has become an issue in relation to the ratings. The high cost would have been justified had the show mainatined its original viewership, but it has nose dived to about half.

This is apparently the latest news on the will-they-won't-they renewal https://www.thewrap.com/supergirl-renewal-drama-talks-center-on-possible-jump-to-cw-budget-cuts-exclusive/
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Agent Carter had been given a 3rd series...?

EDIT: Scrap that, just read back and I can see it's still up in the air...
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    I read they are considering "giving up" Supergirl and letting it go to the CW

Which is where it SHOULD BE and then they can have loads of great crossovers!
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There hasn't been any official decisions on either of these two shows but Supergirl's an almost certainty for a second season and Agent Carter's probably going to get one even if it's a reduced episode one.
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    It shocked me to see the budget of Supergirl as the effects and wire work during the season have been terrible when compared to shows like Flash and Legends Of Tomorrow on a smaller budget on The CW!

Supergirl itself needs a lot of changes if it does get a second season as some of the writing in the first season has been awful as well

Although I still expect it to get a second season on either CBS or The CW which I hope I doesn't end up on that network!
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    It shocked me to see the budget of Supergirl as the effects and wire work during the season have been terrible when compared to shows like Flash and Legends Of Tomorrow on a smaller budget on The CW!

Supergirl itself needs a lot of changes if it does get a second season as some of the writing in the first season has been awful as well

Although I still expect it to get a second season on either CBS or The CW which I hope I doesn't end up on that network!

You don't want it on the same network has arrow, flash abd LOT?
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    You're joking, right? :p

I would be surprised if Supergirl didn't get a second season, but (as stated already) unless the fx and writing department up their game (significantly) then the show wont see a third season.
    Karis wrote: »
    I read they are considering "giving up" Supergirl and letting it go to the CW.
    Had this been at an earlier date, I'd be up for it, but as it is there are already three DC shows running on the CW, and their writing team has become questionable as of late (especially where Flash is concerned).

I don't know if the same writing team are involved in all shows, but if they are, adding a fourth show to the mix just wont end well at all. One or more shows would suffer for it.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got bored very quickly with the show and stopped watching.

I read other forums nothing to do with cult,scifi etc which do have a showbiz section. Oh they are US based. A few weeks back comments said the show was cancelled. I did ask on here in US shows(they have a thread on renewed or cancelled), I got the answer they expected a second season as the viewing figures were ok.

So it now looks like the rumours on the other forums are true. I admit shocked at the costs of this show as its something which would fit in children's programming.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope it doesn't get cancelled, I'm still really enjoying and it's just good fun to watch.
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Woodbine wrote: »
    Hope it doesn't get cancelled, I'm still really enjoying and it's just good fun to watch.

I agree. But The Flash set a precedent for these shows and, let's face it, I LOVE Supergirl, but the writing (and some of the production) has been woeful.

Were it any other show, I'd not have lasted the season.

Season 2 needs to do MUCH better.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Woodbine wrote: »

Yeah. Plus, if "Supergirl" doesn't get a second season, then it and "Agent Carter" are going to provide more fodder for "People don't want comic-book movies/TV shows
    about women characters!" crowd. :( *

* I'm looking at you, Ike Perlmutter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Supergirl and Agent Carter are on different ends of the quality in terms of what a female lead TV show should be like as Supergirl is an perfect example of how not to do it and only gets the ratings it does because of its links to Superman when Agent Carter is a great female lead TV show!

How many times do you see a post in a Supergirl thread about when and if Superman will properly appear in Supergirl?

It's like the lead character will constantly be a secondary character in her own TV show to her more famous cousin!
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

It's like the lead character will constantly be a secondary character in her own TV show to her more famous cousin!

See also - "Gotham", a show about Batman's hometown with no Caped Crusader action.
  • Options
    Virtual PaulVirtual Paul Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many times do you see a post in a Supergirl thread about when and if Superman will properly appear in Supergirl?

Maybe that's the real reason they're doing all they can to avoid showing superman in the show, so he doesn't steal it completely. Seeing as they seem to be doing a Flash movie with a different lead actor it makes little sense to not allow Superman in the show using a different actor to the movies.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Maybe that's the real reason they're doing all they can to avoid showing superman in the show, so he doesn't steal it completely. Seeing as they seem to be doing a Flash movie with a different lead actor it makes little sense to not allow Superman in the show using a different actor to the movies.

The Flash series came when they had no big plans for a Flash film I seem to recall seeing the makers of the show say if they went to them with the idea now they wouldn't stand a chance.

Superman was already made plus a new Superman film always seems to be in the works.

That said I agree I don't see why they couldn't do it.
  • Options
    frattonstationfrattonstation Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Supergirl and Agent Carter are on different ends of the quality in terms of what a female lead TV show should be like as Supergirl is an perfect example of how not to do it and only gets the ratings it does because of its links to Superman when Agent Carter is a great female lead TV show!

Yeah you are right on those points I suppose.
  • Options
    frattonstationfrattonstation Posts: 115
    Forum Member

This is the whole problem with the DC Universe, whereas Marvel TV shows do have some sort of link to the movies, DC have gone the other way. The DC Movie Universe and the DC TV Universe are completely different, which i think is very confusing and very annoying to a lot of viewers and fans alike
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With Supergirl family relationships are important to her.
    Clark is her cousin, would be nice to see them on screen together, not just fighting some bad guy, but chilling out.
    Movies maybe would not have the time. Although maybe as the movies are a different universe to the TV could have a younger, pre Supergirl Kara cameo in a future Superman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wow thank you everyone for proving my point as I mention Superman and every post since then is about him and how they could fit him into the show

I must be the only person who thinks that an appearance by Superman would weaken the show and it would just be a random actor dressed in a Superman costume to please fans if WB/DC allowed it which they won't!

Residents Fans you can't compare to Gotham as at least that show is about a young Bruce Wayne and the city he grew up in when you know Batman won't appear unless it runs for 20 seasons!

Supergirl is meant to be about that character not Superman!
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow thank you everyone for proving my point as I mention Superman and every post since then is about him and how they could fit him into the show

I must be the only person who thinks that an appearance by Superman would weaken the show and it would just be a random actor dressed in a Superman costume to please fans if WB/DC allowed it which they won't!

Residents Fans you can't compare to Gotham as at least that show is about a young Bruce Wayne and the city he grew up in when you know Batman won't appear unless it runs for 20 seasons!

Supergirl is meant to be about that character not Superman!

Have you missed the episodes where walk on, no words random actor has been Superman?
    Do you have cousins, are they part of your life? Do you meet them? Even just weddings, birthdays, Christmas? Some friends, who live close to their cousins, are as close to a cousin as sibling.
    No it's not about him being in every episode, as i say, be nice just to see Kara and Clark, not Supergirl and Superman.
  • Options
    ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    Supergirl isn't going to be cancelled, I'm not sure a thread like this is necessary when we already have threads about the show itself, BUT just to clear things up, at "worst", if CBS do decide to drop Supergirl for whatever reason, it's already been confirmed that the CW (who have the rights to Flash, Arrow AND Legends of Tomorrow) will be picking it up from them, which, in all honesty, should happen anyway, it baffles me that with the exception of The Flash, Supergirl is being kept away from the rest of those characters with absolutely no relation to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ShotDownInFlame Has it been officially confirmed by CBS and The CW that Supergirl wont be cancelled then? In this statement did it also confirm that The CW will pick up Supergirl? Please can you post the statement by both CBS and The CW or a link to this statement so we can all see for ourselves!

bluesdiamond honestly I only see my cousins once every few years but I understand your point as Kara is from a different planet it would help her adapt to spend time with Kal. All I remember for so called appearances of Superman so far was him helping her out of the pod, Young Kal-El, him flying from distance before getting taken over by mind control but that could have been anyone as you can't make out details and of cause the stupid messages back and forth!

Let me know if I missed any out but that's what I think is a problem that even glimpses of Kal-El in these bits is enough to send the fans mental and demand more appearances from him. That is why I feel it hurts Kara as the lead character as the majority of viewers keep asking when will Superman turn up which means they don't care about Kara as in most viewers eyes she is just a poor copy of her cousin!

If this season gets a second season I would ditch the superman references or keep them to a minimum so that Kara can develop as a character herself and take more influence from the comics.Its a show that needs massive work on it as the first season was a disaster and I'm amazed it even got the ratings it did in the end but it's properly just comic fans like myself who are left watching it!
  • Options
    ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    ShotDownInFlame Has it been officially confirmed by CBS and The CW that Supergirl wont be cancelled then? In this statement did it also confirm that The CW will pick up Supergirl? Please can you post the statement by both CBS and The CW or a link to this statement so we can all see for ourselves!
    Having re-read the article it'd appear it doesn't outright confirm it fully but the line "the two sides could always compromise and put the show on the CW", implies that the CW would 100% be willing to pick the show up if they are giving the opportunity, and I don't see why they wouldn't be, it'd be odd to just drop the show entirely the minute CBS call it a day.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/to-get-renewed-supergirl-might-slash-its-budget-and-mo-1774870765

EDIT: Here's another article basically saying that because both CBS and Warner Bros' are joint shareholders in the CW, it wouldn't be nearly as hard for the CW to acquire the rights to Supergirl as it would be for most other shows completely changing networks. It also goes on to mention that we'll know the fate of the show in 2 weeks time.

http://www.geek.com/news/supergirl-is-in-trouble-at-cbs-might-have-to-flee-to-the-cw-1654343/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok ShotDownInFlame as that is just an article stating the current rumour that has been reported on most websites online.At the moment we are just a wait and see situation with Supergirl to wait for the official confirmation from CBS and The CW regarding the future of the show!

I think it's certain that if Supergirl returns for a second season on either CBS or The CW then we all expect cuts in the budget as you can't continue spending $3m per episode with the ratings that it was receiving in the first season

It would be interesting to see if a reduced budget would effect Supergirl but then it may improve the show as they will have to concentrate on improving the writing on the show which has been woeful at best!