Options

Is it possible to sue the Job Centre?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to the job centre again after trying all week to contact main office. They told me to come back on my lunch break on Monday so they can phone them.

They said 'but it's very likely you'll have to pay it back'. I went insane. I told them that what they are doing is mugging me. I said it's no different to someone taking my money on the street. I will be back Monday and there is no way I am going to let them win

I will contact hundreds of people for info on this. Pathetic. Im so angry that I've given up being angry.

On my way out I told a man to not claim Jsa because they will take his money eventually. I'm going to petition with a poster in the weekend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    filly65 wrote: »
    Surely its not just the number of hours you work in the week but also the amount you earn. You could work 4 hours at £20 per hour and you wouldn't get JSA as you would earn more than the benefit so you also need to look at how much you earnt each week and calculate if your wages were more, that may explain the overpayment.

I never earnt over £270 a month. It was always between 100 and 250 which they always said was fine.

I'd take them to court but that'd be extremely pricey :(
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    I never earnt over £270 a month. It was always between 100 and 250 which they always said was fine.

I'd take them to court but that'd be extremely pricey :(

If it were me, I'd remain absolutely calm, and on Monday I'd ring up the relevant Job Centre and the name and direct line of that centre's manager. Then I'd go here http://www.theyworkforyou.com, find out the name of my MP and ask him/her by way of email/letter/surgery visit to intervene because of the unfairness and incorrectness of the the DWP's conduct. This can be done since the DWP is theoretically a public service, albeit not a competent of sensitive one in this instance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it were me, I'd remain absolutely calm, and on Monday I'd ring up the relevant Job Centre and the name and direct line of that centre's manager. Then I'd go here http://www.theyworkforyou.com, find out the name of my MP and ask him/her by way of email/letter/surgery visit to intervene because of the unfairness and incorrectness of the the DWP's conduct. This can be done since the DWP is theoretically a public service, albeit not a competent of sensitive one in this instance.

Thank you. I will do this after Monday if they refuse to hear me out.

I already have written a complaint yesterday and they said they'd be in contact within 2 working days. I'm guessing Tuesday or Wednesday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you. I will do this after Monday if they refuse to hear me out.

I already have written a complaint yesterday and they said they'd be in contact within 2 working days. I'm guessing Tuesday or Wednesday.

All power to you and I hope you succeed! :)

PS Remember "Nil carborundum illegitimi" - don't let the bastards grind you down!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All power to you and I hope you succeed! :)

PS Remember "Nil carborundum illegitimi" - don't let the bastards grind you down!

Will do! Cheers :)

I'll update when I see them at lunchtime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went yesterday and they said I can definitely dispute the £50 fine which leaves £250. I told them I want a break down of what was done in those weeks. Apparently a payslip failed to reach the head office twice, as if it's my fault!

They will be in contact in the next week or so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Went yesterday and they said I can definitely dispute the £50 fine which leaves £250. I told them I want a break down of what was done in those weeks. Apparently a payslip failed to reach the head office twice, as if it's my fault!

They will be in contact in the next week or so.

Stick with it and good luck! :):kitty:
  • Options
    phepiaphepia Posts: 1,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as you can provide proof of handing it in then you can definitely appeal it. They might even back down over it and give it up as they did with my overpayment of Esa in 2013.
    Keep all documents and proof of handing it in and they don't have a leg to stand on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update guys.

I won the battle! :D:D

I received a letter yesterday regarding my email I had sent them. They mixed my nu card number with someone elses! They apologised for any inconvenience it has caused me and claimed the overpayment has been cancelled :D

Fantastic news. Couldn't be happier!
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done. In your first post you said you wanted to make a difference. Now that you've sorted out your own issue, what's your next move with regards to making a difference and helping others?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Well done. In your first post you said you wanted to make a difference. Now that you've sorted out your own issue, what's your next move with regards to making a difference and helping others?

My next move. ..tell everyone to never back down and write a letter to your local mayor. In the letter they wrote to me they made it clear they got a letter back from then. So they got back to me sooner than later because of persistence.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you say tell everyone do you mean like an online campaign, like setting up dedicated Facebook/Twitter pages, creating a site with step by step guidance, providing ongoing advise, etc. setting up real life support groups for people affected by errors. As well as, say, writing to MPs, or highlighting issues to the media with real life cases. Your first post made It sound like like you were determined to shake up the whole system and on a mission to make the department more efficient.
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you say tell everyone do you mean like an online campaign, like setting up dedicated Facebook/Twitter pages, creating a site with step by step guidance, providing ongoing advise, etc. setting up real life support groups for people affected by errors. As well as, say, writing to MPs, or highlighting issues to the media with real life cases. Your first post made It sound like like you were determined to shake up the whole system and on a mission to make the department more efficient.

No they won't do that. People are far too selfish they're only interested in their own cases
  • Options
    greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update guys.

I won the battle! :D:D

I received a letter yesterday regarding my email I had sent them. They mixed my nu card number with someone elses! They apologised for any inconvenience it has caused me and claimed the overpayment has been cancelled :D

Fantastic news. Couldn't be happier!

Well done for winning but it begs the question how many others have they got wrong and the person concerned to frightened or intimidated to do anything about it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I haven't done anything professional but in my letter I didn't make it on my about me. 2 of my friends had this happen. I have shared on social media, as have they. Just spreading the word. But I'm not great at making websites but I'll update you.

Someone I know is great at that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    greenyone wrote: »
    Well done for winning but it begs the question how many others have they got wrong and the person concerned to frightened or intimidated to do anything about it

A lot. I'm thinking if that letter was not made by me, the people probably wouldn't have made an effort checking properly, leading to me paying it.
  • Options
    greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot. I'm thinking if that letter was not made by me, the people probably wouldn't have made an effort checking properly, leading to me paying it.

I really believe that the DWP are working on the fear basis where they know most people won't challenge them through fear