Another painting the walls question.....

CassiniCassini Posts: 2,629
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Having read the other thread and not wishing to hijack it I have a query about how to prepare walls for painting where there is old peeling paint and bare plaster below?

The walls are in a kitchen and most of the area to be painted is in good condition but how should the peeling area be prepared for painting?

Comments

• seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cassini wrote: »
    Having read the other thread and not wishing to hijack it I have a query about how to prepare walls for painting where there is old peeling paint and bare plaster below?

The walls are in a kitchen and most of the area to be painted is in good condition but how should the peeling area be prepared for painting?
    Hi,

This is a little more difficult to solve, the issue is the layers of peeling paint, sure you can paint over it but if the areas are visible, it will look rough.

Two methods I have used, both work, both as always are dependant on the preparation.

1) Sand lightly your walls removing the peeling flakes of paint, sugar soap all the walls, clean and wash down thoroughly and allow to dry. Next use Polycell SmoothOver paint for damaged walls or Polycell base coat or similar products.

I have also used Artex smooth coat in such situations and rolled it on, regardless of what the tub says, this product is not for the inexperienced DIYer but the results were great.

Once thoroughly dry, apply top coat of your choice.

2) This may sound odd for a kitchen, is use a thick plain vinyl washable wall paper on the affected wall/s, allow to thoroughly dry, a few days at least, then very lightly sand the walls, yup, lightly sand them, then use something like the Polycell base coat paint or similar product, allow to dry, apply a top coat.
  • CassiniCassini Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Seacam for your reply. I am a reluctant DIYer and have been wondering about this and putting it off. Fortunately the areas concerned are fairly small.

Regarding sugar soap, what does it actually do? Sorry to be thick! The old paint is an emulsion for kitchens and apart from the peeling areas is in good condition.

Thanks again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Seacam for your reply. I am a reluctant DIYer and have been wondering about this and putting it off. Fortunately the areas concerned are fairly small.

Regarding sugar soap, what does it actually do? Sorry to be thick! The old paint is an emulsion for kitchens and apart from the peeling areas is in good condition.

Thanks again.

If you don't know, it's not being thick. :)

Sugar soap is a degreaser/cleaner and works very well, follow the instructions but it simply dissolves in water or you can get it in liquid form.

Hot soapy water and bleach would do the same thing.

If the areas are small use a thick emulsion paint, you might get away with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Seacam.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Thanks Seacam.

can i just say make sure you use gloves when you use sugar soap i didn't and lost several layers of skin on my hands :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    can i just say make sure you use gloves when you use sugar soap i didn't and lost several layers of skin on my hands :o
    You are right planets, I forgot to add gloves, but I am surprised to read your hands peeled using sugar soap, never happened to me, bleach yes, that makes my hands peel.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    seacam wrote: »
    You are right planets, I forgot to add gloves, but I am surprised to read your hands peeled using sugar soap, never happened to me, bleach yes, that makes my hands peel.

they were fine the night i finished doing the walls but i woke up the next day with my hands on fire and layer after layer of skin peeling off it was very :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the warning Planets.