Some questions from a customer who has been moved to Talk Talk from Virgin

BalthusBalthus Posts: 2,281
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help me. On 30th June Virgin will be terminating my email address -- that's not a problem as I will be using an online one (Yahoo). What I would like to know is, what will happen to the settings given to me by Virgin that I'm currently using for my router in order to connect to the internet? Will that be terminated too? My username is myname@adsl.virgin.net -- will that (and my password) no longer work If I had to reinstall the router after the switch-off on the 30th? Will I need to get new settings from Talk Talk? I'm a little confused.

Comments

• mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know what the actual answer is, you would need to ask TT - but there is no technical reason why Talk Talk needs to get that changed.

The ADSL username, while it looks like an email address, isn't actually that. It's totally arbitrary, it can be anything TalkTalk desires, even "sdlfkjsdf0894ur29834u23o" if they liked.

I would guess that Virgin Media still owns the virgin.net address and this is why you need to change your email address (because that is used across the internet), but the username/password for your internet is more of an "internal use only" thing - only Talk Talk needs to know or care about it.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talktalk will give you a new username i would imagine, you will need to send virgins router back to them as you only rent the equipment from vm.
    So your talktalk username will be something like username@talktalk.com or similar.
  • BalthusBalthus Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    I don't know what the actual answer is, you would need to ask TT - but there is no technical reason why Talk Talk needs to get that changed.

The ADSL username, while it looks like an email address, isn't actually that. It's totally arbitrary, it can be anything TalkTalk desires, even "sdlfkjsdf0894ur29834u23o" if they liked.

I would guess that Virgin Media still owns the virgin.net address and this is why you need to change your email address (because that is used across the internet), but the username/password for your internet is more of an "internal use only" thing - only Talk Talk needs to know or care about it.

Thanks for the info about the ADSL username. Could be that I won't have to change the settings on the router after all then -- maybe that's why Talk Talk haven't mentioned anything regarding that. Anyway, I will have to contact them to confirm this.
  • BalthusBalthus Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Talktalk will give you a new username i would imagine, you will need to send virgins router back to them as you only rent the equipment from vm.
    So your talktalk username will be something like username@talktalk.com or similar.

I had no say in the switch to Talk Talk though -- thousands of us were transferred over to TT by Virgin Media, so it would be a bit of a cheek for them to ask for the router back.
  • iniltousiniltous Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Balthus wrote: »
    Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help me. On 30th June Virgin will be terminating my email address -- that's not a problem as I will be using an online one (Yahoo). What I would like to know is, what will happen to the settings given to me by Virgin that I'm currently using for my router in order to connect to the internet? Will that be terminated too? My username is myname@adsl.virgin.net -- will that (and my password) no longer work If I had to reinstall the router after the switch-off on the 30th? Will I need to get new settings from Talk Talk? I'm a little confused.

I'm guessing you were a Virgin Media 'national' broadband customer, not a VM 'cable' customer, VM sold you a product that depended on Openreach's network, presumably because there is no cable network in your location
    VM sold those customers a while ago to (apparently) TT, but presumably it's taken till now to get around to your particular connection ( I seem to recall either 18,000 or 180000 VM customers were affected, but that's a hazy recollection at best)
    I would think that you will be given a new TT router, and connected to TT's LLU network , so the settings in that new router will be completely different to the old VM router, if you haven't been given a new router by TT you probably need to speak to them about getting one,
    if you use a third party router and want to continue to use that, you would need to ask TT to supply the router credentials,and enter them into your router, they may of course say the T&C's insist you use their router and not a third party one.
    Although you were not given a choice, VM selling you to TT, you did have a choice of not becoming a TT customer, if you wanted you could have taken the opportunity of looking at other providers when VM decided they only wanted customers connected to their cable network and sold you and others to TT
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quick question - does TalkTalk contact customers in regards to this via letter, phone or email? I had a call from TalkTalk today but gave them short shrift because we get so many cold calls. Now I'm wondering if I should have listened.

I've checked my emails and account information on the Virgin Media site and there's nothing there so they may have been trying to sell me something and I was right to hang up but... :blush:

Sorry, I'm a novice on the technical side of things!
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin sent me a letter 18 months ago, telling me they were going to move me to TalkTalk.

I changed to BT instead because I didn't like being made to feel unwanted. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Virgin sent me a letter 18 months ago, telling me they were going to move me to TalkTalk.

I changed to BT instead because I didn't like being made to feel unwanted. :p

Don't blame you!

Maybe it is just a cold call then. Cheers for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just I'm relation to my TalkTalk query - they phoned back today and I decided to listen. They were able to quote my home address, account number and laptop ID to me before asking to 'Run' eventwr, which revealed Errors, and msconfig. At the point the asked me to put www. in I'd had enough and told them I was actually with Virgin - at this point they offered to put me through to the Virgin team! They said they'd sent me a letter - I said I hadn't got it and could they send again. They said no, as I had 'refused their help' for not entering the address as requested. As I didn't want help they said they were disconnecting the call and would delete my details. Unfortunately they didn't; after hanging up they phoned back three times in five minutes.

As you may have guessed they're scammers. Talktalk state clearly they do not cold call but did lose data to frauds a couple of years ago, hence these people have personal details. I'm putting it here just as a heads up if anyone has a similar call.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deleted.