Donkey Kong Country Returns

Comments

• -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to playing but I've got to wait until Xmas to have a go.
  • deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ♥ this game!

Just finished playing since switching it on about 16:30ish :D

I had the original for my SNES, and downloaded it again on VC so it was inevitable I would be buying this. Got my copy today and I can say it's one of my favourite games.
    Definitely gonna keep me busy over Christmas... I'm gonna feel like a teenager all over again, playing Donkey Kong and eating selection boxes for breakfast. :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sure hope it reveals how well you did overall on completion.

I really wanna see if my death toll is in the quadruple figures. I have died so much. And i am only on world 6!

I bloody love this game, has gotten me back into gaming after only buying 3 games this year.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    How come Amazon keep changing the price for this game? it was £30 something when I first looked, then it was £29.99 when I ordered it, and now it's back up to around £33?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I bought this on Sunday, I think its great - game of the year for me!
  • Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Played the first two levels, realized that shaking the controller like an idiot is as much a part of the game as running and jumping, and promptly packed that crap in. Another game with potential totally ruined by unnecessary motion controls, way to go Ninty~!
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    When I'm not playing GoldenEye 007 this game keeps pulling me back for more, trying to get all the puzzle pieces is proving tough but not in a frustrating way. You got to be skilful that's all. It really puts your gaming skill to the test!

Amazing gameplay though! Love it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Played the first two levels, realized that shaking the controller like an idiot is as much a part of the game as running and jumping, and promptly packed that crap in. Another game with potential totally ruined by unnecessary motion controls, way to go Ninty~!

Exactly this. It pisses me off because it's completely un-necessary.

The game would be much more enjoyable without the motion control, it also has it's flaws. If your need to shake the remote to activate something you have to be completely still or else you will roll off the edge and die.

The first thing i noticed was them stupid musical pokemon like enemies... why would they want Bananas? Where the hell is K.Rool and the Kremlins.

Putting all that aside the game is still quite enjoyable and difficult, but i would much prefer to use the gamecube controller.
    Forum Member
    I can take the point that some do not like motion controls, but Wii is all about motion controls and has been since day one.
    So why own a Wii and carry on buying games for it, only to be disappointed by the one thing that you hate the most about it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    I can take the point that some do not like motion controls, but Wii is all about motion controls and has been since day one.
    So why own a Wii and carry on buying games for it, only to be disappointed by the one thing that you hate the most about it?

Some people like myself have been with Nintendo since childhood and have the consoles for the franchises, not the motion control.

Goldeneye is the most recent i can think of without motion control, brilliant game.

The motion control can also be great, i love Twilight Princess on the Wii, the motion control is used well.

But with DKC the motion control is completely unnecessary.
  • SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think TP motions controls are not used well at all. They're tacked on something shocking (it was a Gamecube game after all).

But Skyward Sword will be a different matter altogether :D

Just did a search for SS and it doesn't have its own thread. . . . who wants to have the privilege?
  • b.leverb.lever Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How come Amazon keep changing the price for this game? it was £30 something when I first looked, then it was £29.99 when I ordered it, and now it's back up to around £33?

Same with sony tvs 662 one night next down to 609 . whats going on .Amazon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving the mine-cart levels.
    Forum Member
    Soundburst wrote: »
    I actually think TP motions controls are not used well at all. They're tacked on something shocking (it was a Gamecube game after all).

But Skyward Sword will be a different matter altogether :D

Yeah Zelda TP has HORRIBLE motion controls and that's coming from someone who has fully embraced motion contorls (when they are programmed right, like in the majority of modern day releases and certainly the bigger franchises).

I'm sure some people just don't have a clue what they are talking about and I bet they are still playing DKC with both wiimote and nunchuck and moaning about having use them like drumsticks.

As I said in a post of mine that got deleted yesterday, while there are a few people moaning about motion control in DKCR, thousands of people have used it become incredibly skilful at the game, which proves it's not broken, all it proves is that you cannot adapt (or won't give it a chance). Retro Studios know what they are doing, you on the other hand do not. Same deal with Motion control for FPS when it's programmed right (GoldenEye Wii was terrible by default, but after some serious tweaking the game just opened up completely).

I've been playing Red Steel 2 again these past few days and my life, that has to be the finest example of the most accurate and intricately tuned motion control out there, it's amazing. I expect Skyward Sword to have the same level of control when it comes to the sword fighting elements and if so, it's gonna be a hell of a lot of fun.

Playing every game with a dual stick is getting lame now, it's 2010 and it's time to explore alternative means of control and so far the experiment with motion contorls have been a success, not only in it's improved effectiveness for certain genres but also the added element of immersion it brings to games.

As I said, I really wouldn't want to dumb down DKC with boring old CCP controls, just 1 example of this is the feeling you get when you gently nudge the wiimote forward to roll forward to get a large jump would be completely missing, the whole flow of the game would be missing. It's these subtitles that make the whole game so fun.
  • Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    Anyone with homebrew can use a classic controller for the game.. http://www.pixlbit.com/news?action=showNewsArticle&newsArticleId=1037

Not got homebrew myself though, just thought someone may be interested.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Playing every game with a dual stick is getting lame now...

There's definitely an argument for motion controls in my opinion. I've been playing PES with a standard controller on both the Wii and the PC, and it becomes infuriating at times. Passes going to the wrong player (or worse, nowhere), players not exercising decent AI and making intelligent runs and moves off the ball. It becomes a proper wind-up over time. The motion controls on the Wii version negate all of that. I can now pass the ball wherever I want accurately. I can place the players intelligently into space in the box and make smarter runs. It's such a flexible and rewarding system that you can't get anywhere else. Dismissing it as "waggle" completely, completely misses the point.

It's not just PES either. So many games benefit in a tactile way with the motion controls. Sure you can replace the spin in Mario Galaxy with a button press, but it's just not the same. But the spin is nothing. What about when Mazza climbs on a sling pod? How do make that pull and fling move the same or better on a regular pad? Or in Bubble Breeze, blowing Mario around with the motion controls is only really possible with the Wii setup. It would be rubbish or impossible on a regular pad.

And there's loads of examples. Silent Hill, Resident Evil 4, No More Heroes, Metroid... I won't go on. Yes there's a dearth of crap games as there is on any popular console, and some examples of poor use of the controls, but for the most part, for me the Wii controls have brought such a lot to my games and I wouldn't want to be without them.

Plus, it's no coincidence that both Sony and Microsoft have similar devices now. It's not just for casual appeal people. It's because they do bring something new to the table.

Anyway, back to the topic! :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    My Amazon preorder finally came through the post this morning.I've played for an hour so far and it's a quality game but i'm so annoyed at lack of classic controller support.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    Kal_El wrote: »
    There's definitely an argument for motion controls in my opinion.

Well said.

Whilst I agree that some games are perfectly fine and/or better with a classic controller, other games are improved ten-fold with use of the IR pointer or motion controls.

Golf is a good one. Getting the power, direction, any slicing, can't be done effectively with buttons (I've played golf games since the Spectrum, and it's a case of hold a button to set power, then press it again to see if it goes in a straight line). With Motion+, you just set the direction and it's one easy movement for the rest.

Even Zelda:TP, which often gets slated for having "tacked on" motion controls, I couldn't see myself aiming at anything in that game without the IR pointer.

There are a couple of games I can think of which started off on other platforms without motion control/IR, both moved across to the Wii brilliantly but I fail to see how they would have ever worked with a classic controller (I'm referring to Mercury Meltdown and Okami, in case anybody was wondering)

Anyway, yes, completely off topic but worth an interlude.
    Forum Member
    When people refer to TP having bad motion controls there are mostly referring to the sword fighting elements which make up a fair bulk of the gameplay and it's rather crude in it's execution and after a while it get's to be a pain. It's bearable don't get me wrong and it's not a deal breaker, but it's a bad example of motion tech. You are quite right in saying the on screen aiming was done excellently, I also liked the little touches like the fishing too. So yeah, it wasn't all bad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't been off this for the past weeks, very addictive.

I was dissapointed to finish the game and win the opportunity to do it all back to front. Was hoping for something better.

On something like 114% now.
    Forum Member
    What do you make of the motion cotnorls in this game Ben? Do you like them or do you think they are intusive and spoil the gameplay/make things harder?

Personally speaking I like the motion contorls and I think it adds a nice twist and flow to the gameplay, I think they are effortless to use and haven't died through mistakes or felt cheated for using them like some peole have reported, though I don't like playing with the nunchuck method myself. I've read loads of people moaning about the motion controls on the net and I can understand it to a point, Retro could of given the option to use CCP but they decided not to. What a great game though! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »
    There's definitely an argument for motion controls in my opinion. I've been playing PES with a standard controller on both the Wii and the PC, and it becomes infuriating at times. Passes going to the wrong player (or worse, nowhere), players not exercising decent AI and making intelligent runs and moves off the ball. It becomes a proper wind-up over time. The motion controls on the Wii version negate all of that. I can now pass the ball wherever I want accurately. I can place the players intelligently into space in the box and make smarter runs. It's such a flexible and rewarding system that you can't get anywhere else. Dismissing it as "waggle" completely, completely misses the point.

It's not just PES either. So many games benefit in a tactile way with the motion controls. Sure you can replace the spin in Mario Galaxy with a button press, but it's just not the same. But the spin is nothing. What about when Mazza climbs on a sling pod? How do make that pull and fling move the same or better on a regular pad? Or in Bubble Breeze, blowing Mario around with the motion controls is only really possible with the Wii setup. It would be rubbish or impossible on a regular pad.

And there's loads of examples. Silent Hill, Resident Evil 4, No More Heroes, Metroid... I won't go on. Yes there's a dearth of crap games as there is on any popular console, and some examples of poor use of the controls, but for the most part, for me the Wii controls have brought such a lot to my games and I wouldn't want to be without them.

Plus, it's no coincidence that both Sony and Microsoft have similar devices now. It's not just for casual appeal people. It's because they do bring something new to the table.

Anyway, back to the topic! :o

When people complain about waggle, they're not talking about the pointer controls. Most people would acknowledge how useful a precise pointer can be to games, because we've had the mouse for God knows how long.

Waggle nay-sayers - rightfully - complain about mapping simple button presses onto unnecessary gestures. Gestures don't add anything to the experience besides input lag. Literally.

Mario and Zelda would be just as good if we didn't have to waggle the controller around to swing a sword or spin.

Microsoft and Sony have adopted motion controls, but they've been very careful to avoid waggle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you make of the motion cotnorls in this game Ben? Do you like them or do you think they are intusive and spoil the gameplay/make things harder?

Personally speaking I like the motion contorls and I think it adds a nice twist and flow to the gameplay, I think they are effortless to use and haven't died through mistakes or felt cheated for using them like some peole have reported, though I don't like playing with the nunchuck method myself. I've read loads of people moaning about the motion controls on the net and I can understand it to a point, Retro could of given the option to use CCP but they decided not to. What a great game though! :)

Yeah the game itself is great, i can't point a single fault out. Great visuals, very enjoyable.

Haven't changed my mind on the motion controls though. I like battering the Boss with the motion control and i like battering the DK Barrel at the end of the levels but the in-game motion control with the rolling/blowing/banging i can't stand and i do get annoyed with it.

Roll on DKC 5.
  • LemonPledgeLemonPledge Posts: 6,277
    Forum Member
    The first thing i noticed was them stupid musical pokemon like enemies... why would they want Bananas? Where the hell is K.Rool and the Kremlins.

Yip that annoyed me to and:

I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE the pig! I miss the star barrel :(

Anyway very hard game on the Cave world at the moment.

Thought the caterpillar like boss in the previous world would be a little harder though.
    Forum Member
    I've played the first 3 levels and so far I'm not feeling the DK love:cry:
    I think the problem is even though the controls seem pretty basic in theory,(I'm using sideways) I'm too busy thinking about what button combinations of D-pad to press rather than taking notice of what's happening on screen.
    I know with a bit more playtime I will get used to the control method and everything will become second nature then I can enjoy the game more.
    I think I may replay the first 3 levels using Wiimote/nunchuck to see how they compare.