Options

I've never been chugged - is this unusual?

tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,321
Forum Member
✭✭✭
One of the constant complaints on this forum is being got at by chuggers. I've got to admit that it's never happened to me. Possibly this is due to years of experience in avoiding anyone on the pavement who looks even vaguely likely to attempt to persuade me to do something that I haven't the slightest intention of doing. :)

Comments

• Options
    JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont know what chugging is but the way you describe it i try to avoid eye contact with people on the the street so they cant initiate a conversation with you
  • Options
    LisaB599LisaB599 Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whats a chugger?
  • Options
    mmcdmmcd Posts: 8,558
    Forum Member
    LisaB599 wrote: »
    whats a chugger?

was about to post the exact same question
  • Options
    Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whats a chugger?

i thought it was masterbating, thats why i came :D into this thread
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whats a chugger?

Isn't it a charity collector?
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    whats a chugger?

Some one employed; probably on commission to stop you in the street and get you to donate; probably by direct debit; to a charity.

Must say I have never been succesfully chugged.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    CHarity mUGGER

Not the ordinary type that just shake a tin as you go by, but the type that bother you with sad tales and use high pressure sales techniques to get you to sign up to direct debits on the spot.
  • Options
    kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodgar wrote: »
    CHarity mUGGER

Not the ordinary type that just shake a tin as you go by, but the type that bother you with sad tales and use high pressure sales techniques to get you to sign up to direct debits on the spot.

Isnt it illegal for them to shake their tins.

I remember hearing/reading that somewhere
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmcd wrote: »
    was about to post the exact same question
    i thought it was masterbating, thats why i came :D into this thread
    hahahah!! :)
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    Isn't it a charity collector?
    Woodgar wrote: »
    CHarity mUGGER

ah OK.

Then I just make eye contact and a very firm NO thank you and keep walking i did have one go "but your ignorance isnt help save lives" i said - what did you say? how dare you call me ignorant you have no idea what I do or dont do for charity do not attempt to guilt me into giving you something it wont work and im reporting you to your charity whats your name? but he quickly whipped his id card off his shirt and started to walk away so i chased Him "whats your name whats your name whats your name" and he ran lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member

I believe so.

It's my understanding that standing with a collection tin is just fine, but once you start shaking it you are classed as "begging" and so can be moved on.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    If I do get stopped I just tell them if I want to donate to a charity I'll get in touch direct with the charity themselves and that I certainly do not give out my private and personal details to strangers on the street.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stop for them a lot, because I'm rarely in a rush and I like to see how long they pitch the £2-a-month thing to me before they think to ask how old I am.
  • Options
    tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whats a chugger?
    As it's now been explained I needn't duplicate it. From the number of people complaining on here over the years I assumed that it was a widely used term - obviously not. Which just goes to show that getting your information from the Internet can be fraught with perils. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tanstaafl wrote: »
    As it's now been explained I needn't duplicate it. From the number of people complaining on here over the years I assumed that it was a widely used term - obviously not. Which just goes to show that getting your information from the Internet can be fraught with perils. :)

someone had attempted to CHUGG me and i didnt even know :P
  • Options
    SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    tanstaafl wrote: »
    I've got to admit that it's never happened to me. Possibly this is due to years of experience in avoiding anyone on the pavement who looks even vaguely likely to attempt to persuade me to do something that I haven't the slightest intention of doing. :)
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Some one employed; probably on commission to stop you in the street and get you to donate
    Being pestered for money on the street is one thing, but they now seem to be coming to your DOOR and doing whole streets at a time, working in teams. I've had this twice in the last few months (for two big well-known charities) and even worse than disturbing you in your own home, as others have point, is when they will not take no for an answer. One of them in particular kept going on and said something like "well you're neighbours are being very generous so...."

I think if it happens again i'll probably just explain that if and when I want to make a charitable donation, i'll give it direct to the charity as it means there will not be any individuals (directly or indirectly) taking a slice for their own personal profit.

News link:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7966571/Chugger-premiums-can-swallow-donations.html
  • Options
    Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteUK wrote: »
    Being pestered for money on the street is one thing, but they now seem to be coming to your DOOR and doing whole streets at a time, working in teams. I've had this twice in the last few months (for two big well-known charities) and even worse that disturbing you in your own home, as others have point, is when will not take no for an answer. One of them in particular kept going on and said something like "well you're neighbours are being very generous so...."

I think if it happens again i'll probably just explain that if and when I want to make a charitable donation, i'll give it direct to the charity as it means there will not be any individuals (directly or indirectly) taking a slice for their own personal profit.

News link:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7966571/Chugger-premiums-can-swallow-donations.html

If someone did that to me, lets just say they would be standing on the wrong side of a hissy fit.
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    Care for a Big Issue?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chuffing chuggers get on my chuffing chuff!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    The last time I was in Leeds shopping and walking down Albion Street I must have been accosted by at least 5 of them within a few minutes. It is beyond the joke really.

In the past I have helped out in the Poppy Appeal, and we were told to never to shake the tin or tell people to donate. How can ambushing people on the street asking for people to set up a Direct Debit not count as begging if tin rattling does???
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I believe that rattling a tin is OK, but that actually asking you for money falls within the definition of "soliciting", and is a criminal offence.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where I work (Central London) it;'s impossible to avoid them but I've never let myself be stopped by one.

One tried a good tactic.

As I approached he asked "are you a good person?"

Lucckily I was awake enough on that day to answer "No!" and walked on.

The trick is not to make eye contact.......
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goonst wrote: »
    I stop for them a lot, because I'm rarely in a rush and I like to see how long they pitch the £2-a-month thing to me before they think to ask how old I am.

And worst of all, once they have your £2-a-month donation do they stop there? No they bloody don't. They ring you up and guilt you into raising your donation to £5 a month. Then another call to raise it to ten, then fifteen if you're still gullible enough to hand it over.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never put anything in tins of anyone who shakes it or calls out what its for and I certainlly never give out any personal details, especially bank details, to anyone who stops me in the street or knocks on my door.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whats a chugger?

I believe it's short for Charity Mugger.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    The trick is not to make eye contact.......

I just look straight ahead and keep walking.

If they don't get out of the way, they'll get knocked aside/over.

I'm 6'2" and about 15 stone.