Options

attending funeral advice please

mintoemintoe Posts: 522
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello, I will be going to my Uncle's Funeral shortly and i need some advice please.

Firstly, I do not know what to wear, they are very religious, quite posh and it is summer. Also the drive up to it will be 4 ish hours, depending on traffic. I want to be comfy but not look like a scruffy mess!

Secondly, and i know this is a little daft, but I have Fibromyalgia, my brain does not work properly half the time, i rarely go out and speak to people so, although i should think, oh bugger it, i do worry about how i will be perceived by my Family.

Your thoughts would be appreciated, Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss. You must always dress smartly for a funeral, so if you have a suit then wear that with preferably a black tie. If not, wear smart formal trousers ( never jeans ) and a nice shirt and jacket. Dressing respectfully is the order of the day.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    If it's going to be a 4 hour drive then I think I'd strongly consider driving there the day before and staying the night in a Premier Inn or B&B. That way you won't be in any sort of rush on the day of the funeral and have plenty of time to get yourself ready.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for your loss. You must always dress smartly for a funeral, so if you have a suit then wear that with preferably a black tie. If not, wear smart formal trousers ( never jeans ) and a nice shirt and jacket. Dressing respectfully is the order of the day.
    Blimey, I'm a bloke and I got that minto is female.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LoL ! Didn't read the profile ! Well advice still stands - dress respectfully !
  • Options
    AvinAGiraffeAvinAGiraffe Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    I assumed female. I'd go with a black/dark shift dress and dark shoes.

I wouldn't worry too much about how you'll be perceived. If you're a little quiet no-one would think anything bad of you, it's a funeral after all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mintoe wrote: »
    Hello, I will be going to my Uncle's Funeral shortly and i need some advice please.

Firstly, I do not know what to wear, they are very religious, quite posh and it is summer. Also the drive up to it will be 4 ish hours, depending on traffic. I want to be comfy but not look like a scruffy mess!

Secondly, and i know this is a little daft, but I have Fibromyalgia, my brain does not work properly half the time, i rarely go out and speak to people so, although i should think, oh bugger it, i do worry about how i will be perceived by my Family.

The fact that you're prepared to take a four hour journey to show your respects speaks volumes. Wear whatever you think is respectful and feel comfortable in. Not all funerals are "black" and dreary.
    As for your "condition" just be who you are. If people judge you inappropriately then they are at fault. It sounds as though you'll have little contact with them afterward anyway.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just say I'm sorry for your loss then move on.
  • Options
    Phil_SheridanPhil_Sheridan Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    If it's going to be a 4 hour drive then I think I'd strongly consider driving there the day before and staying the night in a Premier Inn or B&B. That way you won't be in any sort of rush on the day of the funeral and have plenty of time to get yourself ready.

That sounds like a very good idea if you can find one within reasonable distance of the funeral.

Nice catch Toby, I didn't know until I read her profile.
    The fact that you're prepared to take a four hour journey to show your respects speaks volumes. Wear whatever you think is respectful and feel comfortable in. Not all funerals are "black" and dreary.
    As for your "condition" just be who you are. If people judge you inappropriately then they are at fault. It sounds as though you'll have little contact with them afterward anyway.
    Good luck.

More good advice I think.
    I have been mildly amazed in the past at guys turning up in jeans at funerals, sometimes blue jeans as well as black.
    I feel that if you can't turn up respectfully dressed at a funeral, (respect for the deceased I mean), then it may be better not to turn up at all.
    I don't think that it's wrong not to wear a tie, but at least have a clean, pressed, white or light blue shirt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thank you...i know i shouldn't but this did make me laugh :)
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

think you have had good advice re clothes and agree re travelling up the day before if possible. I went to a funeral a few weeks ago, drove an hour in 28degree weather all in black... I was a little hot!

I had the same thoughts about talking to people and how i would be perceived by people I hadn't seen for a few years and once I was there I don't know what I was worried about it was like I had just seen them yesterday. However, if my family had been there been a black sheep it would've been A little bit awkward (okay then a lot!).

but paying my respects was more important than anything else
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you Everyone for your replies and condolences. Toby LaRhone, thank you especially for your words about my Condition.

I think it is going to be a there and back in one day! My Dad wants to go (his Brother after all) and i think it is what he will prefer.

I shall have a look through my wardrobe at what i have already that may be suitable..... no tie though :p

Thank you All for responding, this was my first ever thread..... may do a more cheerful one in the future !

:) Sue.
  • Options
    ParashootistParashootist Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    I would think up some mantras to chant to your relatives. Something like...Mwaaaangtukaaaaa...and so forth
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    think you have had good advice re clothes and agree re travelling up the day before if possible. I went to a funeral a few weeks ago, drove an hour in 28degree weather all in black... I was a little hot!

I had the same thoughts about talking to people and how i would be perceived by people I hadn't seen for a few years and once I was there I don't know what I was worried about it was like I had just seen them yesterday. However, if my family had been there been a black sheep it would've been A little bit awkward (okay then a lot!).

but paying my respects was more important than anything else

Soap-lea, this has reassured me a bit, thanks, as you say, paying your respects IS more important.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Everyone for your replies and condolences. Toby LaRhone, thank you especially for your words about my Condition.

I think it is going to be a there and back in one day! My Dad wants to go (his Brother after all) and i think it is what he will prefer.

I shall have a look through my wardrobe at what i have already that may be suitable..... no tie though :p

Thank you All for responding, this was my first ever thread..... may do a more cheerful one in the future !

:) Sue.

How nice of you to be so appreciative. ;-)

First thread of many to come! ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More good advice I think.
    I have been mildly amazed in the past at guys turning up in jeans at funerals, sometimes blue jeans as well as black.
    I feel that if you can't turn up respectfully dressed at a funeral, (respect for the deceased I mean), then it may be better not to turn up at all.
    I don't think that it's wrong not to wear a tie, but at least have a clean, pressed, white or light blue shirt.
    The most uplifting funeral I attended was a humanist celebration of the life of someone I admired.
    It comprised lovely stories and tributes about his life and himself.
    It was littered with laughter and music he loved.
    I'm not a fan of "dress in black" mournings of the departed.
    Celebrate their life, don't mourn their demise. ;-)
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You must always dress smartly for a funeral, .

What a load of absolute rubbish! It's more important to turn up and pay your respects than to bother what clothes you are wearing.

I went to one funeral where about 10 guys came in wearing overalls and their reflective jackets. They worked for the council, were on duty, but felt they wanted to pay their respects to a colleague.

For my funeral, I've already stated that I don't want anyone to wear black - colours only and preferably something funny: No hymns, no prayers - comical anecdotes only.

My Mum was the same, and my Dad has the same request.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are travelling down the same day and you say it's normally about 4 hours, I would set off at least 5 hours before minimum. You should always be prepared for accidents/incidents/roadworks etc which can delay you and send stress levels soaring.
    The BBC Travel website is also good to look at both on the day itself and the day before to see if there any planned roadworks which could delay your journey so you could maybe plan an alternative route. . The M1 often has long patches of roadworks with speed limited to 50mph.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travel

On such long journeys too I always ensure the TP button on my car radio is switched on so I get the local BBC traffic reports.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    What a load of absolute rubbish! It's more important to turn up and pay your respects than to bother what clothes you are wearing.

I went to one funeral where about 10 guys came in wearing overalls and their reflective jackets. They worked for the council, were on duty, but felt they wanted to pay their respects to a colleague.

For my funeral, I've already stated that I don't want anyone to wear black - colours only and preferably something funny: No hymns, no prayers - comical anecdotes only.

I did go to one funeral several years ago where we all wore jeans and tee shirts bearing the name of a particular radio station with which the deceased was connected. During the service jingles from this station were also played!

However, I have to say, this was clearly the exception rather than the rule. The dress code required was clearly specified to all well before the day of the funeral by the deceased's family, so everyone knew what was expected.

Every other funeral I've ever been to I've always worn a suit and a black tie. But, as I've said, you do sometimes get exceptions.
  • Options
    FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the funeral held before my mums, the mourners wore tracksuits mostly, and some were eating pies and bags of crisps as they came out. They were none too tidy in their eating .
  • Options
    SuesSues Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it were me, I would travel in something light and comfortable and then nip into a department store toilets and change clothes just before going to the Church/Crematorium. You will not be so stressed and hot and your fibromyalgia won't be as bad as it could be if your are stressed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sues wrote: »
    If it were me, I would travel in something light and comfortable and then nip into a department store toilets and change clothes
    Great way to get stopped for shoplifting!
    :D
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Sues wrote: »
    If it were me, I would travel in something light and comfortable and then nip into a department store toilets and change clothes just before going to the Church/Crematorium. You will not be so stressed and hot and your fibromyalgia won't be as bad as it could be if your are stressed.

A large supermarket toilets are usually ok - but maybe call ahead to the site (Crematorium of whatever) and see if they have a place to change just in case you are running late.

If I travel to interviews or anything formal, I wear the same trousers, but change my shirt as it will be sweaty, but I am male, however the same could apply.
    A deodorant on hand to give a quick underarm scoosh, or even a wet flannel in a sandwich bag under the seat in a car will make you fee more human after the journey.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »

Well aren't you rude ? And have an apt username as well ! You have your ideas on how funerals should be held and I have mine - end of.
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Galaxy266 wrote: »

I would also say this is a good idea, especially if you have fibro and fatigue is an issue. I'd consider staying the night of the funeral as well and go home the next day.

Unless there is something that says different (my Mum is religious but she has stated no black to be worn), then I would go for a simple dark/black dress and cardigan.

Hope everything goes well OP, and hope the fibro doesn't play up too much...:(