Celebs who act nice in the spotlight but are horrible in person

Comments

• Cody1Cody1 Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Good point.

Not quite the same thing but what about BBC premises similiar to the Mailbox in Birmingham, where there is a 'Public Space'.

I saw Ed Doolan from BBC WM, on the one occasion I was there having a bag of crisps & Diet Coke, but I didn't bother him for an autograph.

If he had looked in my direction, I would've said something, but until then.....

every situations different, i wouldnt say anyones right or wrong in what they did, its more those that hound & chase celebs for the sake of a name on abit of paper and i find it abit sad as their are plenty of celebs who try their best to live private lives and what with autograph chasers and the paps id try disguises and running away too :D
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cody1 wrote: »
    every situations different, i wouldnt say anyones right or wrong in what they did, its more those that hound & chase celebs for the sake of a name on abit of paper and i find it abit sad as their are plenty of celebs who try their best to live private lives and what with autograph chasers and the paps id try disguises and running away too :D

FWIW, Cody, I agree with this and your previous post.
  • PolominiPolomini Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi - long-time lurker, first-time poster....

When I was younger, I used to work in a busy pub/restaurant just outside Henley, where we were used to seeing quite well-known faces. One busy evening a man came into the bar, asked to see the manager and said that he was from Mr Rowan Atkinson's party, booked in the restaurant. He said that Mr Rowan Atkinson didn't want any fuss made, no autographs...understood? Well, that was fine, we were used to that but what happened next was bizarre. The door burst open and a party of half a dozen or so crowded into the bar. In the middle was a man in white suit and sunglasses (this was way after dark in a country pub...) who stood - no, posed - dramatically while the rest of the clientele just ignored him and got on with their evening. Going through to the restaurant, they then made sure that everyone was aware of who they were - it was quite a performance. Of course, if he'd really wanted no fuss, he'd have just dressed normally and got on with it, like everyone else. Anyway, he did get the pub staff's award for plonker of the year...
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Polomini wrote: »
    The door burst open and a party of half a dozen or so crowded into the bar. In the middle was a man in white suit and sunglasses (this was way after dark in a country pub...) who stood - no, posed - dramatically while the rest of the clientele just ignored him.

This being the shrinking violet, Mr Atkinson?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen and met a few celebs in my time. My own rule is that if someone is clearly having private time (i.e. not hawking a book/film/product of some kind and just shopping or walking down the street) I leave them be. If I catch their eye, I just smile. :)

You never know when someone is simply having a bad day or moody moment and it must be awful to never be able to leave the house without being pestered (even if that pestering is polite and well-meant).

If someone is at an event of some kind, then they are technically 'working', so I'd be much more put off if they were rude to me then.
  • PolominiPolomini Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was indeed. The Mr Atkinson who wanted no undue attention. Allegedly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was indeed. The Mr Atkinson who wanted no undue attention. Allegedly.

If he'd worn regular clothes and a hat, I doubt he'd be hassled at all. Maybe he needed the ego boost of being recognised?

I used to work near a photographic studio where famous folk sometimes had pictures taken. One time, a group of lads came out and got into one of those people carriers. One guy looked at me and waved and said 'yes, it's us'. To this day I have no clue who they were. :D
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When I was younger, I used to work in a busy pub/restaurant just outside Henley, where we were used to seeing quite well-known faces. One busy evening a man came into the bar, asked to see the manager and said that he was from Mr Rowan Atkinson's party, booked in the restaurant. He said that Mr Rowan Atkinson didn't want any fuss made, no autographs...understood? Well, that was fine, we were used to that but what happened next was bizarre. The door burst open and a party of half a dozen or so crowded into the bar. In the middle was a man in white suit and sunglasses (this was way after dark in a country pub...) who stood - no, posed - dramatically while the rest of the clientele just ignored him and got on with their evening. Going through to the restaurant, they then made sure that everyone was aware of who they were - it was quite a performance. Of course, if he'd really wanted no fuss, he'd have just dressed normally and got on with it, like everyone else. Anyway, he did get the pub staff's award for plonker of the year...

Years ago Cliff Richard (yeah, I know :yawn: ;) ) was playing a gig in my home city.
    We were out having a curry and a large table was all set up at the back of the restaurant. When the whole group arrived, I doubt if anyone in the restaurant would have known that Cliff Richard was among them if a member of staff hadn't told the other diners.
    He had his back to the room and not one diner interrupted his dinner so its perfectly possible to enjoy some time out under normal circumstances if the celeb chooses not to draw any attention.............unlike your example Polomini.:)
  • Cody1Cody1 Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    FWIW, Cody, I agree with this and your previous post.

thank you :)
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Welcome to the madhouse :D
  • KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I happen to have a dear friend who is very famous...A+ famous. He says that a lot of so called celebs/stars need that buzz of being recognised in public...and it makes them feel important to ignore or be rude to them. Also that those who go around with a big entourage all the time are simply petulant and need a good kick in the ass. My friend goes about his business in his normal clothes and has no entourage with him at all...unless he's working, when, for insurance purposes he must have a bodyguard...but he makes do with one. He rarely gets hassled and if he is...he's always polite and charming even if he's in the biggest rush. He says his fans are the reason he's who and what he is...and if he can't take a minute to be polite...then he's not being thankful. It's a pity more didn't think the same way. A polite hello or thank you costs nothing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KaylaL wrote: »
    I happen to have a dear friend who is very famous...A+ famous. He says that a lot of so called celebs/stars need that buzz of being recognised in public...and it makes them feel important to ignore or be rude to them. Also that those who go around with a big entourage all the time are simply petulant and need a good kick in the ass. My friend goes about his business in his normal clothes and has no entourage with him at all...unless he's working, when, for insurance purposes he must have a bodyguard...but he makes do with one. He rarely gets hassled and if he is...he's always polite and charming even if he's in the biggest rush. He says his fans are the reason he's who and what he is...and if he can't take a minute to be polite...then he's not being thankful. It's a pity more didn't think the same way. A polite hello or thank you costs nothing.

He sounds like someone with his head screwed on the right way round, Kayla. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member

I've encountered Rowan Atkinson in public. He doesn't like talking to "little people", and thinks that normal folk being in his general vicinity counts as "disrespecting his privacy".

I ignored him anyway.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mallaha wrote: »
    I've encountered Rowan Atkinson in public. He doesn't like talking to "little people", and thinks that normal folk being in his general vicinity counts as "disrespecting his privacy".

I ignored him anyway.

Did he actually say either of the things in quotation marks?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    Not that I know of, they are my figures of speech.
  • Winchester LadyWinchester Lady Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rowan Atkinson lives in Retford, where I have family, and I know that people there are disappointed that he refuses to play any part in local life. Incidentally "Inspector Japp" from the Poirot series grew up in Retford and I know someone who went on a few dates with him! We have quite a few well known people living near Winchester and many, such as David Gower, Alan Titchmarsh, the wonderfully warm and generous Kevin Ashman (Eggheads) and Alistair Stewart, kindly do support local events and charities. There are one or two adverse comments on this thread about Colin Firth, who grew up here, and his parents still live here, but I know that his support for our theatre is unstinting.
  • SunnyMcSunnySunnyMcSunny Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Hi Everyone, I've been lurking for ages, but thought I'd finally post after reading this thread.

Cilla Black - I'm shocked! I thought if Paul O' Grady liked her she must be alright.

I've only met a few people:

Gok Wan - Spilt my drink on him. I was mortified but he just laughed it off and chatted to me for a while. Very nice guy.

McFly - Didn't actually talk to them myself, but was at an event and watched how they interacted with fans - really nice guys. I was impressed actually as I had dismissed them as teeny-boppers up until that point. Sorry McFly!

Kirsty McColl - absolutely charming lady. Really attractive too.

Boz Boorer (Guitarist for Morrissey) and Morrissey himself (briefly) - Boz was lovely, very friendly and had time for everyone. I was slightly scared to meet Morrissey, but he was very sweet - quite shy - but made an effort to chat to me and put me at ease and had a twinkle in his eye. He was very funny actually.

Jools Holland - he was in the bar where my friend used to work. Surrounded by random hangers on and being a bit of a diva. Demanded that the lights be dimmed and that pizza should be ordered. Seriously - I'm not making that up. He was a little bit drunk though. I was a bit gutted as I'd always imagined him to be more down to earth...

Benedict Cumberbatch (sort of). My friends chatted to him briefly after a theatre production - Sherlock had been on by then and he was getting very famous. He was absolutely lovely! Very engaging and genuine and just such a nice guy. I was too scared to join in the conversation as I'm a bit shy, but he saw me standing there and gave me a look and smile as if to say 'don't worry, I won't make you talk to me if you don't want'. I regret not saying hello now. I'm not going to lie - I have developed a massive crush on him since then!

Oh and a couple of my friends once met Brad Pitt. Said he was a nice bloke and seemed quite normal!

Think that's about it!
  • EllefEllef Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mallaha wrote: »

I ignored him anyway.

I've never met Rowan Atkinson, but what you say fits with my experience of being in the front row for a performance of The Sneeze many years ago. It was a serious of semi-serious Chekov pieces that he did as a vehicle shortly after hitting the big time. There was a speech during one of the scenes about how mediocre a particular character was and how much he despised her, and I swear he delivered that speech to me in the front row, never breaking eye contact. The character he was ostensibly addressing was nowhere near his line of sight. It was horrible and I've never been able to stand him since, I don't care how much comic talent he has.

Edit: Anyway, the other actors (including Timothy West) wiped the floor with him in dramatic terms, so up yours Mr. Bean.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello and welcome Polomini and SunnyMcSunny. Interesting usernames! :)

Hope you can get stuck in and add more (to DS) as time goes on. :D
  • Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,363
    Forum Member
    mellybumps wrote: »
    If anyone remembers the 80's kids show "Maid Marian and Her Merry Men" I met Gary the knight from the show at a play that was on in my home town when the school took us there. In the interval me and a few friends (we were all about 14, this was about 1994/5) all went over to him and asked for his autograph. We were all polite but he flatly refused to sign autographs, and i see his career has really taken off since then :rolleyes:
    Philip Franks however (Charlie from the Darling Buds of May) was the director and couldn't have been nicer, chatted to us all and signed autographs.

Met the woman who played Elizabeth the nervous next door neighbour in Keeping Up Appearances when she came into the shop I was working in (1996-ish). She was pretty posh and formal but polite, I was too scared to say I recognised her lol.

Also met Abi Titmuss and the bloke who played Martin Fowler in Eastenders at a meet and greet type thing at a local club and they were both great. She agreed to sign me and my friends' chests hahaha.

BIB Mark Billingham is my favorite author. I've met him a couple of times and he's always been pleasant and friendly. Maybe he's just grown up since then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Even though lots of names are being mentioned nobody comes close to Cilla Black for being the nastiest celebrity that people have ever had the misfortune to meet . It seems the old boiler has made it a personal mission in life to be as rude and unkind to anyone that has met the cretin .
    I would love to hear she has been told about this forum and has read what has been written about her the silly old trout .
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bevrinton wrote: »
    Even though lots of names are being mentioned nobody comes close to Cilla Black for being the nastiest celebrity that people have ever had the misfortune to meet . It seems the old boiler has made it a personal mission in life to be as rude and unkind to anyone that has met the cretin .
    I would love to hear she has been told about this forum and has read what has been written about her the silly old trout .

Surprised one of her 'people' haven't opened their gob in defence of her?

Throw a bit of legal action this way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never really had any bad experiences with meeting celebrities although that might be because I haven't met many. I've been turned down for autographs before but I didn't really see that as being rude as all of them were polite and in hindsight, busy. It's easy to see someone and think 'omg it's so and so' and to not actually acknowledge they might be in the middle of something and not want disturbing.

John Barrowman was absolutely lovely. He came into the M&S that I work at and spent a lot of time chatting to staff and signing things for them.

Orlando Bloom was a sweetheart although I had no idea who he was until after he left. It was more like a random conversation with a stranger so I don't think that counts. :D

But my favourite story isn't actually one of my own. A friend of mine told me this story about one of her friends who went to an expensive restaurant in London with her boyfriend as a treat for their anniversary. While they were there they spotted Bono sitting at one of the tables in the corner. They're both massive U2 fans but they've heard he can be a little bit frosty when approached so they waited until he went to the bathroom and went over to his friend to 'test the water' and see if he'd mind signing stuff for them. The friend was lovely and said he'd wave them over if Bono said it was okay. In the end Bono was really nice and they were waved over and got pictures and autographs but my favourite part of the story is when they went to pay the bill and were told that it had been taken care of. They asked if Bono had payed for the meal and the reply was no, the friend had paid for their meal. Mr Bruce Springsteen hoped they had a lovely experience and enjoyed the meal! :D
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never really had any bad experiences with meeting celebrities although that might be because I haven't met many. I've been turned down for autographs before but I didn't really see that as being rude as all of them were polite and in hindsight, busy. It's easy to see someone and think 'omg it's so and so' and to not actually acknowledge they might be in the middle of something and not want disturbing.

John Barrowman was absolutely lovely. He came into the M&S that I work at and spent a lot of time chatting to staff and signing things for them.

Orlando Bloom was a sweetheart although I had no idea who he was until after he left. It was more like a random conversation with a stranger so I don't think that counts. :D

But my favourite story isn't actually one of my own. A friend of mine told me this story about one of her friends who went to an expensive restaurant in London with her boyfriend as a treat for their anniversary. While they were there they spotted Bono sitting at one of the tables in the corner. They're both massive U2 fans but they've heard he can be a little bit frosty when approached so they waited until he went to the bathroom and went over to his friend to 'test the water' and see if he'd mind signing stuff for them. The friend was lovely and said he'd wave them over if Bono said it was okay. In the end Bono was really nice and they were waved over and got pictures and autographs but my favourite part of the story is when they went to pay the bill and were told that it had been taken care of. They asked if Bono had payed for the meal and the reply was no, the friend had paid for their meal. Mr Bruce Springsteen hoped they had a lovely experience and enjoyed the meal! :D

How cool is Bruce Springsteen! What a lovely story. :cool:
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

lexi22 wrote: »
    How cool is Bruce Springsteen! What a lovely story. :cool:

That's odd - you see I was sure I had already heard this story quite recently, so I had a look. Your friend's story sounds suspiciously like the one I found here - only this was in Dublin, not London:

http://www.ricksteves.com/news/tournews/guides/barry_moloney.htm

I understand someone went on Graham Norton telling the same story too. There are also at least two slightly different versions quoted or linked in the Graham Norton Show thread (posts 173-178):

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1747451&page=8

So, it does sound like a nice story and may have happened once, but who to and where is a bit more uncertain.