Options

3D Gaming

Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I recently had my first go at this and was beyond impressed. So much so that I am now planning on getting myself a 3D monitor in the new year to play my PS3 on.

Before I tried 3D I never believed people when they said things "pop out the screen" at you. Well I was blown away. It's true, very true.

Anyway, I wanted to find out what your opinion is of 3D gaming? Do you like it or hate it? Will you be getting or avoiding?

Comments

• Options
    darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    I'm stuck in the middle at the moment. Don't get me wrong but 3D is amazing, I'm just not sure there is enough content for it at the moment and I don't like the 3D glasses.
  • Options
    PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a wearer of glasses it's not really ideal. Unless there is some sort of advancement in the field of 3d tv that doesn't require glasses then I'll pass at the moment. Or maybe there will be prescription 3d glasses in the near future :D
  • Options
    Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like many others, I'm of the opinion that 3D is a gimmick that brings no real worth to entertainment, be it films or games. So I've no intention of going near it.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like many others, I'm of the opinion that 3D is a gimmick that brings no real worth to entertainment, be it films or games. So I've no intention of going near it.

Ditto.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was totally blown away by a SKY 3D demo booth recently, but will be a long time off before I have this here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Still using a SDTV then? Or for that matter a black & white one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PinSarla wrote: »
    As a wearer of glasses it's not really ideal. Unless there is some sort of advancement in the field of 3d tv that doesn't require glasses then I'll pass at the moment. Or maybe there will be prescription 3d glasses in the near future :D

I wear glasses ( when I can be bothered) to watch TV in and the 3D glasses fit perfectly over my specs. :)
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    I've watched several 3DTV demo's over recent months & have also seen some 3D gaming & didn't really think much of it.

One problem was that I wear glasses & having to wear a 2nd pair to see the 3D was a pain, Taking my everyday glasses off just meant I coudn't see much of anything.

The thing I found was that initially it was kinda cool but after a while the initial 'wow thats cool' wore off. Was the same with HDTV, At 1st the jump in quality was awesome but when you got used to it after a few days or whatever the extra quality just became the norm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched several 3DTV demo's over recent months & have also seen some 3D gaming & didn't really think much of it.

One problem was that I wear glasses & having to wear a 2nd pair to see the 3D was a pain, Taking my everyday glasses off just meant I coudn't see much of anything.

The thing I found was that initially it was kinda cool but after a while the initial 'wow thats cool' wore off. Was the same with HDTV, At 1st the jump in quality was awesome but when you got used to it after a few days or whatever the extra quality just became the norm.

Same with everything though really.:cool:
  • Options
    The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it. Not going to get it for a little while yet tho as theres not many 3D enabled games/movies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been into 3d movies and it will be the same for 3d gaming.

I couldn't afford it even if i wanted to anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been into 3d movies and it will be the same for 3d gaming.

I couldn't afford it even if i wanted to anyway.

£200-300 gets you a 23" 3D monitor. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still using a SDTV then? Or for that matter a black & white one?
    That's a predictably weak argument. Colour TV and HDTV brought genuine, significant image quality improvement. 3DTV brings a gimmick, nothing more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a predictably weak argument. Colour TV and HDTV brought genuine, significant image quality improvement. 3DTV brings a gimmick, nothing more.

Not weak at all. Maybe the B&W was, but if 3D is just a gimmick then so is HD. Are you saying there is no "genuine" improvement with 3D?

We could go at this all night. I think (IMO) that people who say 3D is a gimmick but have bought into HDTV are daft.
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wear glasses ( when I can be bothered) to watch TV in and the 3D glasses fit perfectly over my specs. :)

They may fit over yours, but they won't fit over mine. This is why I haven't already bought myself a nice big 3DTV and also why I can't enjoy any of the 3D movies at the cinema.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you saying there is no "genuine" improvement with 3D?
    That's exactly what I'm saying. There was a need for colour TV, for obvious reasons. With ever increasing screen sizes, there is a need for HD, SD just doesn't cut it. There is no need for 3D, it's a shitty gimmick that doesn't even look good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not my specs :(

Knew I should have gone for the thinner titanium ones.
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not seen any of the new 3D yet:( not even watched a film at the cinema lol

I am very interested in it though and can't wait to see what all the fuss is about:D

Tbh prices of the tv's has already dropped quite a bit since they were first released, so I don't think it will be too long before its a bit more mainstream and affordable to alot of people, and as we're all ps3 owners at least thats one bit of kit taken care of;)
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PinSarla wrote: »
    Not my specs :(

Knew I should have gone for the thinner titanium ones.

I gotta say it lol "should have gone to specsavers":D
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your forgetting eye strain and headaches, wouldn't mind it for a film now and then, but for an afternoons gaming I wouldn't like to do it myself. Normal TV gives me headaches if I game to long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gotta say it lol "should have gone to specsavers":D

ha ha! instead I went to optical express, purely for the designer labels. Oh well, you know what they say about fools being easily parted with their money :D
  • Options
    JimallJimall Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Personally I think 3D in it's current guise is nothing more than a gimmick that won't really take off - at least to the level of what the industry believes it will. Maybe in the future when holographic 3D (without the need of glasses) is available it might be a different story.

I own a PS3 and 3D TV and whilst a few games look cool there's absolutely no way I could spend hours playing in 3D. If my mates come round it'll be a quick switch over to 3D to show them what it looks like (if they haven't seen already) then back to 2D.

I've tried Black Ops in 3D and it's literally impossible to play, the absolute worse showcase for 3D I've ever seen, plus its a real chore having to turn off 3D mode everytime I load the game. Super Stardust and MotorStorm 3D Rift are a good showcase though and probably the best 3D games available - at least that I've seen.
  • Options
    denzil28denzil28 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    They may fit over yours, but they won't fit over mine. This is why I haven't already bought myself a nice big 3DTV and also why I can't enjoy any of the 3D movies at the cinema.

Did you realise, at the cinema at least, you can take out the lenses of the glasses and just stick them over your normal glasses (maybe even cut the to size)?

I like 3D in the cinema, true it doesn't add to the content of the film, its still the same story etc, but I do feel it adds to the experience you get (when done well). I don;t agree with adding it to every film that is released though, that is when it does become a gimmick. I recently went to see Saw 3D and have not got a clue why it was in 3D at all, there was no need for it and it wasn't even done very well.

I have tested out a Sony 3D TV in a local TV shop, just to see what it was like. I wasn't all that impressed with it, it was cool, but not £2000 cool! I wear glasses and personally do not have a problem wearing the 3D glasses in addition. However, with the current home 3D TV sets, they all come with rediculously expensive active scan glasses. I found the glasses to be uncomfortable and heavy after just 5 minutes of watching. If you tilt you head to the slightest angle you lose the 3D effect, which isn't exactly comfortable when watching a film or playing a game to keep your head perfectly paralell for a couple of hours.

For 3D TV to really take off I think it will be when the passive glasses are usable as these are cheap, light and the whole family can have a pair each plus spares for anyone who visits and will also work on any passive 3D TV, not just the make and model you have at home. No one in their right mind would give a five year old child a pair of £100+ 3D glasses to wear. The current TVs are restricting the home genre to just the number of glasses that you get with the TV (two at most).

I would love to have a 3D TV, but just can't justify it with the current technology. I think this is a product where early adopters really are going to be screwed with incompatible equipment that is quickly outdated as new and cheaper products flood the market in the next year or so. There needs to be one format that all manufacturers adopt and use. Once this in place the cost will come down and the technology will be accessible to everyone who wants it.
  • Options
    Kingsd316Kingsd316 Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jimall wrote: »
    I've tried Black Ops in 3D and it's literally impossible to play, the absolute worse showcase for 3D I've ever seen,

You must have your settings wrong, the game is immense in 3d!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's exactly what I'm saying. There was a need for colour TV, for obvious reasons. With ever increasing screen sizes, there is a need for HD, SD just doesn't cut it. There is no need for 3D, it's a shitty gimmick that doesn't even look good.

Totally agree. If you want a 50/60 inch tv you need HD or it will look terrible. 3d makes my head hurt and from what iv seen at the cinema, it doesnt add anything to the film to warrent the extra money, just like all this motion sensor nonsence for me, 3d its a useless moneymaking gimmick!