Why do people not like Dawn French?

Comments

• Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    No problem with Dawn French here. She always comes across to me as an intelligent, down to earth lady.
  • BReal2BReal2 Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked her on Lark Rise to Candleford:)
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I like her and haven't come across many that dislike her. There was a really embarrassing moment when she was on the Late Late Show (an Irish Friday night talk show) and it wasn't long after one of the supermodels said she wouldn't get out of bed for less than 10 grand. Our planky plank presenter Pat Kenny had Dawn on as a guest and he tried to be funny and said something like "I'd pay 10 grand for Dawn not to get out of bed" :o

Yes I saw that and thought it was just a joke. Didn't he try and give her flowers and aplogise only to make some reference to her being a "big girl" and she walked off the show again!! I honestly thought it was a comic routine!! I love Dawn French and apparently she is really nice in real life and approachable as my sister had some contact with her, years ago. I was sad to hear her marriage to Lenny Henry was over after so many years.
  • avidreaderavidreader Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    No problem with Dawn French here. She always comes across to me as an intelligent, down to earth lady.

Same here. I really liked her in Jam and Jersusalem (but I liked the whole show and cast) and Lark Rise.

I know she's always waffling on about she's kissed etc in interviews, but the trouble is that the interviewees always ask the same questions!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Her autobiography Dear Fatty is one of the best books I've read from the last few years. Moving, hilarious and well written.

There was something about the sense of voice that was brilliant, and made it obvious she'd written it herself, which is quite refreshing when so many are ghost written!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the hate for Dawn French.

Its usually the pretty blondes, or women who are pretty in general who are subjected to hate.
  • kjh84kjh84 Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    medulla_86 wrote: »
    Her autobiography Dear Fatty is one of the best books I've read from the last few years. Moving, hilarious and well written.

There was something about the sense of voice that was brilliant, and made it obvious she'd written it herself, which is quite refreshing when so many are ghost written!

I have read that book 3 times & every time i either cry with laughter or just cry. As you have said, it is a very well written book, & i have her new novel down on my xmas list :D I love Dawn, she is so beautiful, funny & very talented. :)
  • Huffy1968Huffy1968 Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People hate Dawn French? Seriously? OK her comedy isn't everyone's taste, but I think she's genuinely talented, funny and likeable. :)
  • Benry_GaleBenry_Gale Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno about "hate", but she doesn't make me laugh in the slightest, and I'm struggling to think of anything she's ever been in that I enjoyed.

100% agreement with this post. Don't know a thing about her personally, but as far as TV goes she's like a black hole of funny.
  • looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like Dawn. As with most people that have done as much as she has, I love some stuff, don't like other stuff.

But the recent Roger & Val was superb. Took a while to get into, but it was great - one episode had me sobbing my heart out one minute & laughing the next.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Its good to know that more people like her than dislike.

Maybe hate was a strong word to use.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I dont like her.........

I LOVE HER!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So now that it's confirmed that NOBODY dislikes her........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i like her, i think getting a cuddle from her would be IMMENSE!!!
    :p
  • Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vicar of Dibley wasn't really my cup of tea, but Dawn always comes across as a very intelligent, bubbly, lovely lady, and has certainly made me laugh loads over the years.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    collywog wrote: »
    When it comes to Dawn French, I've got to say that I can't stand anything that Lenny Henry's been in!

Thats very funny and very true:p
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soundstory wrote: »
    So now that it's confirmed that NOBODY dislikes her........
    The general feeling seems to be that even if people don't like her style of comedy, most like her as a person :)
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I saw that and thought it was just a joke. Didn't he try and give her flowers and aplogise only to make some reference to her being a "big girl" and she walked off the show again!! I honestly thought it was a comic routine!! I love Dawn French and apparently she is really nice in real life and approachable as my sister had some contact with her, years ago. I was sad to hear her marriage to Lenny Henry was over after so many years.
    Pat should stay away from humour. The man can't ad lib or come up with witty comebacks at all. Even when that guy stromed the stage and was ranting at him, all he could say was "thank you" :rolleyes: Pat was fine for the serious stuff but that was it.
  • Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange OP topic really cos Dawn French I would have thought was someone people generally DO like. I've never heard anyone say they don't like her so far as I can recall. Victoria Beckham evokes cries of pure vitriol at the very mention of her name where I work for a start. Dawn French? No, never heard a word said against her.

I like her (Dawn that is, not Victoria!) I think she's sharp and funny and has a lovely face.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive noticed that people say they switch programmes off with her in them.
    Recently people say the only thing they can abide her in is Psychoville.

I think shes great, loved her in Dibely and Roger and Val have just got in.
    She makes me laugh and I dont understand all the hate.

Anyone wish to explain?
    I don't hate or dislike her but I do get irritated by her and I am not sure why.

Actually I can think of one thing that annoys me. She makes a living out of being overweight. Would she have a career if she was slim?
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    I dont dislike or like her, my feelings about her are Mehhh....

I did like her earlier work with JS but I think her work sincethen is highly overrated
  • MadonnaMIXMadonnaMIX Posts: 9,692
    Forum Member
    I love Dawn French :)
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone says they had to 'switch off' (hate that term, usually used by those with Ofcom on speed-dial #1) a show because she was in it, you get that with absolutely every star. There are very few actors/comedians that are universally loved, comedians especially. It's just personal tastes.

Loved her in most things, particularly most recently with Roger and Val and, of course, playing the crazy Joy in Psychoville. If there was anything I didn't like her in it wasn't her fault, it was the shite programme.
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    I like her and haven't come across many that dislike her. There was a really embarrassing moment when she was on the Late Late Show (an Irish Friday night talk show) and it wasn't long after one of the supermodels said she wouldn't get out of bed for less than 10 grand. Our planky plank presenter Pat Kenny had Dawn on as a guest and he tried to be funny and said something like "I'd pay 10 grand for Dawn not to get out of bed" :o

I saw that. Classic Pat. :o:D
  • Sierra-OscarSierra-Oscar Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love her :) she sometimes comes across a little like she's trying too hard in interviews, but as an actress she's fantastic and warm :)