Ordering from Amazon

Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Would it be a risk ordering from Amazon today? My father has said "avoid" while others have said it "will be fine". *confused*

Comments

• Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would it be a risk ordering from Amazon today? My father has said "avoid" while others have said it "will be fine". *confused*

Don't risk it.
    They already have massive backlogs & we have got loads more snow since yesterday which will cause even more havoc.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't risk it.
    They already have massive backlogs & we have got loads more snow since yesterday which will cause even more havoc.

Hi Caramel Crunch. I may have to look at other options now. I've been working long shifts recently, so can't deal with facing up going to the shops. :(

Will it be the same for all online stores?
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon are still stating that orders placed today will be delivered by Christmas Eve unless the delivery date info specifically says otherwise. Presumably you would not risk using the free delivery option now.
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Caramel Crunch. I may have to look at other options now. I've been working long shifts recently, so can't deal with facing up going to the shops. :(

Will it be the same for all online stores?

Probably.
    Royal Mail & all other couriers will be innundated with parcels & the weather is so bad they will struggle to get everything delivered.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    I would avoid. Items I ordered from Amazon on 1st December just arrived this week (it was free delivery but still its usually only 4 or 5 days after ordering).

I am waiting on 2 parcels now from different companies and they are both stuck in the sorting hubs not even at depots yet, I dont know if they will be here for Christmas and they were ordered on the 4th December! I am also waiting on an express 24hr package via Parcelforce which was posted on the 14th and there is no sign of it leaving the hub where it seems to be stuck.

You may be lucky and it will be ok but I wouldn't risk it. Can you get the items somewhere else?
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably.
    Royal Mail & all other couriers will be innundated with parcels & the weather is so bad they will struggle to get everything delivered.

Just checked on Amazon ..

I wanted to buy my mother a 'Intelex Cozy Plush Microwaveable Warmer Penguin'. Amazon are now saying 'usually dispatched within 7 to 9 weeks'. Lolz.
  • mincepiemincepie Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure Amazon will do their side of the deal - but...the postal network seems screwed at the moment. I can't see you getting it by Christmas. Thats not their fault really....
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ordered something from amazon nearly 3 weeks ago, it showed up today...if you want it for Xmas, I wouldn't risk it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    mincepie wrote: »
    I'm sure Amazon will do their side of the deal - but...the postal network seems screwed at the moment. I can't see you getting it by Christmas. Thats not their fault really....

Yeah, Amazon have been fine with me. It is the postal network that is the problem! Same with other shops, they are dispatching stock quickly but it is just getting stuck in hubs and depots and does not seem to be moving fast!

I wanted to buy my mother a 'Intelex Cozy Plush Microwaveable Warmer Penguin'. Amazon are now saying 'usually dispatched within 7 to 9 weeks'. Lolz.

It should be here in time for next Christmas!
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They had some of those microwaveable animals in our Sainsburys (down the gift isle) just yesterday. Not sure if they had a penguin but they had various animals and were all very cute.

edit - these but they had more than just the elephant: http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop/home_and_garden/gifts/christmasgifts/3for2christmasgifts/119836577_sainsburys_cosy_elephant_grey.html?hnav=4294947546

Out of stock online (again you wouldn't want to risk it now) But if you have a Sainsburys near by they might have them still.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like the sheep version is available for expedited delivery. But not the penguin or the duck. Or you could order the penguin off eBay if the seller will do next day delivery?
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    The Sainsburys ones are also infused with lavendar, lovely :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member

Saw loads of them in Debenhams if it helps! I think the card shops typically sell them too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hei, if you want to see whatever you're ordering before Xmas then Amazon wouldn't be your best bet at the moment, I'm still waiting for items ordered about two weeks ago :(
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want it to arrive for Xmas I wouldn't risk it. I'm still waiting for stuff to arrive that I ordered at the beginning of December and tracking tells me it's still in Strathclyde.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd be hard pushed in any year to get stuff ordered now before Christmas, never mind this year with all the snow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for 2 items, both dispatched on the 9th.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I am waiting for a kid's book. Everything else has come.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    James'04 wrote: »
    Saw loads of them in Debenhams if it helps! I think the card shops typically sell them too.

BHS have them too and they're only about £6.

Wouldn't risk Amazon, I ordered a DVD at the end of November and it only got here a couple of days ago!
  • ChibiCandiChibiCandi Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've got only a few of the items ordered from Amazon, still waiting for a game and DVD sold by Amazon. Ironically they said the estimated delivery date would be later on the things we got first :confused:.They piss me off to be honest, shouldn't have used them lol
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I`ve ordered loads of stuff and it`s all got here in the estimated time...apart from 1 item ...from Jersey...lol

If you`re desperate for items, I`d buy from shops now, not mail order..
  • ChibiCandiChibiCandi Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Personally I'd be wary about that... ordering by 18th December is highly optimistic, I've seen some sites completley stop taking orders for my area even though we've been hit alot less than others.
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neb Adra wrote: »
    Hei, if you want to see whatever you're ordering before Xmas then Amazon wouldn't be your best bet at the moment, I'm still waiting for items ordered about two weeks ago :(

Same here, Amazon said to give it till the 20th and if it still hasn't arrived then to ring them and they'll resend, but the chance of getting it for Chirstmas is nil!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I ordered an item on the 9th, was dispatched 10th and sent 1st class from Amazon.
    Still not received parcel, i'm in the South East just outside of Canterbury in Kent. I paid a visit to the local Royal Mail depot and all they pulled out for me was a torn open Christmas Card :p