Moffatt vs R T Davies

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
Forum Member
✭✭
Davies, for all his faults, just had a much bigger vision. Moffatt was good as part of the vision, but on his own, is insufficient to maintain Doctor Who.

Comments

• *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    What a negative thread to start on Christmas Day :mad:

For the record I dsagree with you. I'm not a RTD hater like quite a few on here, he brought Who back and did an excellent job as showrunner, but I have enjoyd series 5 far more than any other recently and think Moffat is doing an excellent job - long may he continue.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Russell brought back Who and made it the success it was, for which I am eternally greatful, but as a writer, I don't really rate him, excellent with characterisation, but really not so great with plotting and when it came to bigger episodes, awful at resolutions. Also a tad too sentimental.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moffat seemed to be better as part of the RTD whole, rather than on his own. His episodes under RTD were sharper. really Moffat needs his own version of himself under himself, a major deputy to widen the scope.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like RTD but I also like The Moff.

Which one is best??

There's only one way to find out

Fiiiiiiiiiight!!!!!!!!!
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    Davies, for all his faults, just had a much bigger vision. Moffatt was good as part of the vision, but on his own, is insufficient to maintain Doctor Who.

Rubbish. Moffat has consistently shown himself to understand Doctor Who and to know how to write and produce it, far more so than that overrated hack. 'Vision'? If so, it was a woefully limited one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rubbish. Moffat has consistently shown himself to understand Doctor Who and to know how to write and produce it, far more so than that overrated hack. 'Vision'? If so, it was a woefully limited one.

Why am I not surprised you feel like that?? :)

Merry Christmas to you :)
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Why am I not surprised you feel like that?? :)

Merry Christmas to you :)

Sorry Verence-but it's been a year and people are still going on about the man! Can't we just forget him and enjoy the new stuff?

Bah, humbug.:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry Verence-but it's been a year and people are still going on about the man! Can't we just forget him and enjoy the new stuff?

That's a fair point

You are Kazran Sardick and I claim my £5 :)
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Eileen* wrote: »
    What a negative thread to start on Christmas Day :mad:

Agreed. Think there is something unpleasant in the forum drinking fountain judging from some of the threads started lately.

Plus this topic has been done to death.

I think they are both great in their own ways, both have their own strengths and weaknesses. No need to slag one off to praise the other.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moffat seemed to be better as part of the RTD whole, rather than on his own. His episodes under RTD were sharper. really Moffat needs his own version of himself under himself, a major deputy to widen the scope.

He hasn't gone from writing one or two episodes a year to writing every episode a year. I really think the worst you can say about him is that he delivered only one really standout episode in his first year as head writer, which is barely any better than he was doing under RTD.

What he didn't manage was to make every episode a The Doctor Dances or Blink, which I think has left some people disappointed. He also doesn't have anyone pushing the RTD-style levers (Amy didn't even have a family for most of the series, we had no shots of average families looking distraught as the whole Earth was invaded yet again, indeed a general decline in spectacle overall), which has obviously turned a lot of people off.

I think his main sin has been no more than not living up to ridiculous expectation, giving a lot of fans of the previous order a window to reassert themselves after seeing poor old RTD put down time and time again in the run up to the change.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    which has obviously turned a lot of people off. .

i don't think you can say it obviously has done any such thing, unless you have been out questioning the viewers of the show nationwide?:confused:
  • Monster101Monster101 Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    both moffat and russel are very hit and miss for me. i have to say that i just did not enjoy series 5 as much as previous series, though i have feeling from an interview i read with moffat, that series 6 will be better
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    i don't think you can say it obviously has done any such thing, unless you have been out questioning the viewers of the show nationwide?:confused:

That wouldn't be obviously turning a lot of people off, that'd be empirically observing that a lot of people have been turned off!

I just mean that any change in style is likely to lead to a change in audience. If you accept that Doctor Who feels different this year — for whatever combination of reasons, the change of head writer almost certainly being one of them — then surely you accept that some part of the old audience is likely to wander away?

It's not a derogatory comment towards any group.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    If you accept that Doctor Who feels different this year

tbh i don't really, i think a lot of the changes are in peoples minds, i'd say changes have largely been superficial in nature.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moffat is a far better writer than RTD. Comparing them as Exec Producers is more difficult. It may be too early to tell.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    After watching this Xmas special I'm starting to have my doubts about Moffart being capable of sustaining, developing and renewing his ideas on a large scale. So many bits made me think 'yeah, seen that before' or 'yeah, heard that before'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    moffet wins hands down
  • Rob500Rob500 Posts: 3,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say there isn't much between them, they're both excellent writers but at the same time they've both written some complete howlers.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member

Well said. He had his go, took it as far as he could and eventually gave over control to someone else. Moffat is all we should be talking about now
  • temperaretemperare Posts: 3,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As much as I want to disagree with you I cant help but agree 100%.

I think Moffat at times is a legend and on individual story lines outshines the other who writers. Yet there is something lacking since Davies left and I can't quite put my finger on it... Just seems less exciting somehow!
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Oh FFS, who cares?

Moffet's wrote some great episodes, RTD wrote some great episodes. I'd imagine that if you sat down and drew up a 'best of' list you'd find some from both in there, so why there's this perpetual desire to marginalise one or the other I don't know.
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member

Today the Moff gave Fathead a lesson in how to write an Xmas episode.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's easy to say when you've watched 4 series by RTD and only 1 by Moffatt.

Come back and make this statement in 3 more years and then we can take it seriously.
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO they are both great writers who now and then come up with a right clunker.
  • temperaretemperare Posts: 3,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    That's easy to say when you've watched 4 series by RTD and only 1 by Moffatt.

Come back and make this statement in 3 more years and then we can take it seriously.

Bit Harsh. He was not slating SM just stating an opinion on how he is handling running the show compared to Davies.

I think its quite fair to have an opinion based after a whole series and christmas special. Obviously after another few series that opinion may change.