Greatest video game ever made?

catchphrasecatchphrase Posts: 22
Forum Member
In your opinion what is the greatest video game ever made?
Which one had the biggest impact on you when it was released?

Mario?
Winning eleven (now pro evo)?
FIFA?
Street fighter?
Mortal kombat?
tetris?

Comments

• AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elite.

/thread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    half life or goldeneye

or total annihilation

or WoW

or UFO: enemy unknown

the list goes on lol
  • LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Final Fantasy 7

(cue flaming)

I still love the soundtrack, no game has come close to the awesome experience of FF7.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    Leeham wrote: »
    Final Fantasy 7

(cue flaming)

I still love the soundtrack, no game has come close to the awesome experience of FF7.

100% Agree with you!

My all time Favorite game and Soundtrack.

A few more of mine:

WoW
    Runescape
    Borderlands
    TES: Oblivion
    Dungeon Keeper
  • GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it has to be Metal Gear Solid on the Playstation 1. It wasn't just a game, but a way of living. I loved how the game allowed the player to interact and choose the fate of what lies ahead (Meryl's death) and how we had to plug in our controller in port 2 to Kill Physco mantis. The ending had a 15 minute FMV which was powerfull enough to make the whole game a movie, what really amazed me about the game was at the end when it displayed facts about Nuclear weapons around the world. In effect this made me think that I had played a game in order to disarm a nuclear weapon, that to me has a powerful statement which most games of today fail to deliver.

The soundtrack was second to none, the fight scenes and interaction were incredible at the time in '98, it was and still is the best combination of videogame and movie.
  • rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    Baldur's Gate 2. The most immersive RPG ever, excellent story supported by great interaction with NPC's, and backed up with a great game engine that represented the D&D rules very well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Metal Gear Solid on PS1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Very predictable but nothing pre PS3 really got to me except a couple of Vic 20 games, so I am going to say Uncharted 2 Among Thieves
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Super Metroid - SNES
    Mario Galaxy 2 -Wii
    Goldeneye 007 - N64

How can I decide?
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leeham wrote: »
    Final Fantasy 7

That would be my second best game after Elite. Say Elite get's 100/100, Final Fantasy VII would be on 99.9/100.
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,192
    Forum Member
    Out of the ones i've played...

Super Mario Bros.
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Crash Bandicoot 1-3
    Goldeneye 007
    Tomb Raider
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Pokemon R/B/Y
    Pokemon S/G/C
    Driver
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    Pacman
    Mario Kart 64
  • OneManTagTeamOneManTagTeam Posts: 3,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croc: Legend of the Gobbos
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too many to list. The game that probably drew me in, in which I spent way too much time on the most was Vice City.

However I couldn't pin it down to one single game because that is impossible. I've played computer games since 1985, on arcades, consoles, pc's etc and every time I say "this is the best game ever" another comes along and trumps it.
  • tommyd1258tommyd1258 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    The games with the biggest influence on my life have to be the ones I watched my Dad play when I was little, Donkey Kong Country and Super Metroid.

Mass Effect is probably my favourite video game series, with Metroid Prime very close behind. Both of these games are innovative and fantastic Sci-fi adventures.

My favourite multiplayer games are Burnout Paradise and Battlefield; both are fairly unique, free roam in Burnout is genius and Battlefield offers the best 'team' experience I've seen on a video game.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    Elite.

/thread.

I agree and in second place i'd say World of Warcraft.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Another vote for Elite here. Especially the Beeb version, bugs and all...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before I even looked at the thread, I had Elite at the top of my mind - so much game and space in so little (memory) space! So, I'll go with Azagoth on that one
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll say I've never even heard of Elite, I'm 21 so maybe it was before my time?:confused:

From what I've played, the two games that stand-out for me are Crash Bandicoot - platforming perfection that kicked Mario's ass - and God Of War, the most incredible gaming experience which still holds up well today.
    Forum Member
    Elite was one of the first truly epic games, first released in 1984-ish.

You started off in a small spaceship, could not carry much, and with little equipment.

You could make more money by trading goods (and transporting them), by being a pirate, or by hunting down pirates.

You could then buy better ships or weapons, or gadgets for your ship.

As you blew up other ships, your rating improved. Eventually you would reach the rank of Elite.

It had vector graphics that seemed really advanced for the time, and played brilliantly. Combine the depth of the game with the length of it and it was a real classic.

Other games have tried to replicate it but none have quite managed it. Although also our game playing has changed substantially from the simple game play mechanics that was the basis of many of the best games of the 80's.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think you can ask which was the best game without specifying which era.
    The mid 70's had Pong, which was probably the greatedt at the time because there was almost nowt else.
    In the early/mid 80's it was probably Elite for the BBC.
    The 1990's had Doom and Quake.
    2000's we saw Halo, Fallout3 etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    Another Metal Gear Solid vote here.

But I think it depends on when you really started gaming. Sonic 2 comes close to being my favourite ever game, but I only really starting playing games properly when I bought a PS1, and Metal Gear Solid has to be the standout game of that era.
    Forum Member
    By decade:

80's
    Rebelstar Raiders (Elite, Lords Of Midnight, Gauntlet as other contenders)

90's
    Baldurs Gate 2 (Shining Force 2, Fallout 2, Dungeon Master, Ocarina Of Time as other contenders)

00's
    Uncharted (Advance Wars DS, Mass Effect, GT 3 as other contenders)

But ask me next week and some of the answers may change!
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Deus Ex!
  • Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,714
    Forum Member
    Elite Plus was one game I loved on the PC back in the 90's (also still have the big-boxed version Elite on the C64) I completed everything that could be completed on that game and I got the highest rack of Arch Angel. Good times indeed.

I'd also have to mention Shenmue on the Dreamcast. I love that game so much. It's like living another life back in the mid 80's in Japan. I hope Sega brings it out on PSN or disc.

There are a ton more I could list but I'd be here all day.