Options

Most Haunted - Derek Acorah

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just making this thread because although Derek Acorah was outed as a fake on Most Haunted in 2005, I still wonder about him in the earlier series of the programme. I was watching Series 1 (2002) and Series 2 (2003) this week, and Derek comes across far more genuine with his information in the locations than he did towards the end. There were rarely any possessions, maybe a couple in the first series, but in Series 2 he was mostly very informative and let's not forget when he claimed to pick up Fred Batt was a reincarnation of a former occupant at The Clock House, Surrey. What do you think? Derek has SOME psychic ability, or none at all?

My main question I want to ask people is... How on earth could he possibly have remembered ALL of that accurate information he gave in the earlier episodes for each room of each building, and names, dates, events etc.

I know people say he's good at acting (That's true when you watch the faked possessions) but surely he wouldn't be able to contain so much information and not make a mistake?

In the Clock House, Surrey episode from Series 2, he picks up on some things that happen in the building, later confirmed by Fred Batt. He points out that Derek wasn't aware of these things, e.g. A spirit opening a door and closing it from the outside, and other interesting points. Whilst I believe Derek acted out the possessions and was fed/ faked things in the show, I feel he was more genuine in the earlier series.

Please share your thoughts and opinions, I would love to know other people's beliefs on him and the programme - No trolls with pointless comments like 'You're stupid if you think he's real' etc. please :) - Please also bear in mind I'm only 20 years old, I didn't follow the programme when they were originally aired on TV in 2002/ 2003 being a child. I've been a big fan of MH since 14/ 15.

Comments

• Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I don't believe in psychics full stop and being able to talk to the dead, so Derek was a fraud in my opinion.

All the information Derek provided on MH was easily researched and wouldn't have been difficult to memorise and recite on the show.
  • Options
    JayDee279JayDee279 Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He would heve known where they were going to film the next show, and had plenty of time to read up about the history of the house. Remembering things isn't difficult, with practice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JayDee279 wrote: »
    He would heve known where they were going to film the next show, and had plenty of time to read up about the history of the house. Remembering things isn't difficult, with practice.

That's probably true, I just wish he didn't lie about things he presented and came up with supposedly from his spirit guide. I really liked Derek Acorah, until I read online about his exposure as a fraud.

I think he does possess some psychic abilities, but not on the level he presented on MH (Over dramatics, possessions etc).

Do you think he made up the story about the Fred Batt reincarnation?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek Acorah: 'I can't quite get his name, it's either Nick or Rik... Am I pronouncing this Sam? Eedles, yes... Rik Eedles, sounded like Nik'

Yvette Fielding: 'Nik Eedles' (Looking angry)

Derek Acorah: 'It's like as if, he's stopping people, He's a highwayman, his energies, he's a highwayman. He would defininitely definitely be seen here, and I feel he would move over to the window, and stand like this so if someone was sleeping there, they could quite easily wake up and see the full manifestation of this man'

Yvette Fielding: 'Looking more angry than ever' :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ciaran: 'Is he, is he telling you something? Derek, is Sam giving you a name?'

*Goes quiet with eerie music playing*

Derek: 'Kreeeeeeeeeed Kafer... Kreed Kafe... Kreed'

Karl: 'Derek Derek, it's Karl, come forward Derek' :p
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend and her mother went to one of his live stage shows, as they were both fans. this was some years back. They said he was so ridiculously awful, that they, and a few others, got up and walked out.

I think there could possibly be some people with a sort of 'psychic' ability, or whatever it could be called......but he is not one of them.
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Yvette Fielding was no saint either when that footage came out of her making fun of the show.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...............Please also bear in mind I'm only 20 years old, .................

That's really weird; you were 21 last week.
  • Options
    Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My personal favourite quote of Dereks on MH is 'Mary loves dick' that just about finished me off :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    That's really weird; you were 21 last week.

I'm almost 21, I turn 21 on the 13th January. :)
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you really think if someone could talk to DEAD people they'd be on some obscure channel full of trashy tv?

IT'S A CON.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm almost 21, I turn 21 on the 13th January. :)

Well, happy birthday in advance.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vix77 wrote: »
    My personal favourite quote of Dereks on MH is 'Mary loves dick' that just about finished me off :)

And me. The game was well up by then and I think they were just playing him for the sh*ts and giggles. I always found Derek hilarious. Initially, I thought that he actually believed he was psychically 'gifted' but soon grew to realise he was just a ham wannabee actor. Yvette Fielding's hypocrisy and outrage with regard to the 'exposure' of Derek irritated me though. Lots of the crew were faking phenomena and Derek was just playing along. She knew darned well what was going on and probably facilitated much of it.

MH and MHL were very good entertainment but that's all it was. They tried to repackage it as a more 'serious' investigation show but it didn't work for long as the 'credibility' was blown. Antix got very greedy too, trying to squeeze as much capital as possible out of every facet of the show and I think over-reached themselves. When Derek left, all the fun went out of it as it lost much of it's 'entertainment' value and, as I said, it couldn't function well as a 'serious' show.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you really think if someone could talk to DEAD people they'd be on some obscure channel full of trashy tv?

IT'S A CON.
    Exactly. Credible evidence of an afterlife would literally transform humanity's understanding of life and death. It would be the one of the most significant scientific discoveries of all time.

There's very good reason why the likes of Derek Acorah need to hide behind a legal disclaimer stating their work is "for entertainment purposes". It's because their preposterous claims do not stand up to scrutiny in the real world.
  • Options
    MichPlatMichPlat Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vix77 wrote: »
    This guy Acorah is so very bad that he's actually good to watch , he's actually compelling viewing as you're thinking "nobody can be this weird and surely nobody is fooled by him".
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Why is everyone having a go at Derek for? its Karl & Uvette should get critised for it and the show went down well after Derek left with naff Pychics.

I dont mean people here are having a go I mean in general media and the producers.
  • Options
    Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i know it's been said a million times before but i feel sorry for the folk that look on all this stuff as genuine and come away thinking they really have been connected to long dead uncle colin.

i remember seeing the other con artist, the small chap with a face like a rat/weasel, on tv scanning the audience. he said something like 'i'm getting the name betty' or whatever and someone in his eye-line perked up. 'oh, is this you my love?' he asked the female audience member. 'yes, we had an auntie betty' she replied.

'and has she passed?' rat/weasel face asked her.

HAS
    SHE
    PASSED?!?!

YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE THE F**KING PSYCHIC ... YOU TELL US!!!!!!

when are folk going to wake up, if these folk could truly connect with the afterlife, they'd be multi-billionaires feted by the worlds elite. they wouldn't be travelling small often pretty sh*tty venues with, as others have said, numerous disclaimers.

it's a bit like WWF. if you look on it as entertainment fair enough (although i still think it's sh*t) whereas if you look on it as 'real' and you're over say 12 years old you are a douchebag ;)
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't mind him so much as Fielding and her mates. After all, they are cynics, they know exactly what the show is all about, and yet they resented Acorah for doing what was expected of him. It was a bit rich of them, after relying on old Degsy for ages to keep their show reasonably lively, to suddenly get angry about the fact he wasn't actually communing with the spooks.
  • Options
    conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fielding and Acorah both prove one thing .. people will stoop down to any level for fame or money or both.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If people really could commune with the dead do you seriously think they wouldn't be locked away somewhere doing important work for world governments? They wouldn't be allowed to go around doing a 'psychic' show, that's for sure. Nor would they want to when they could make millions upon millions with the abilities they had.
  • Options
    odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart, uncle fester and Karl gave him all the info he needed before each show. Do you really believe he can see dead people with a Kenyan called Sam as a spirt guide hehehe?
    Do we really live on the same planet as these people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As others have said if some people could actually talk to the dead they'd be among the most important people on the planet, able to provide all kinds of invaluable information to mankind. They wouldn't be on ghost hunting shows on obscure TV channels or "talking" to dead relatives in crappy theatres.
  • Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    As others have said if some people could actually talk to the dead they'd be among the most important people on the planet, able to provide all kinds of invaluable information to mankind. They wouldn't be on ghost hunting shows on obscure TV channels or "talking" to dead relatives in crappy theatres.
    Wouldn't that depend on who they talk to though,if you get through to Uncle Sid who was thick as s*** in life then he's not going to be the font of information now he's dead.
    I've no problems with mediums generally,as long as they're not charging a fortune and they give someone some comfort then fair play ,probably healthier and cheaper than someone turning to booze to find comfort.
    I've been to a spiritualist church before out of curiosity,can't say it turned me into a believer but everyone that got "a message" seemed happy enough so that's fine for me.
    Derek Acorah though:( he doesn't come across as the slightest bit credible in the clips I've seen,his success seems to be very much due to the "Reality TV era" we find ourselves in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well obviously Uncle Sid wasn't who I had in mind. :D
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    If people really could commune with the dead do you seriously think they wouldn't be locked away somewhere doing important work for world governments? They wouldn't be allowed to go around doing a 'psychic' show, that's for sure. Nor would they want to when they could make millions upon millions with the abilities they had.

Well obviously not looking at the amount of scepticism on this thread. Not one person so far has actually come out and said yes I believe it. The people that do however, are probably quite happy getting on with their own psychic followings/beliefs in the peace of their own certainty without the hassle of proving everything to the world.