Virgin Atlantic: Up in the Air - ITV 9pm

Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
Forum Member
Yup! It's another airline/airport show for those of us who like those sorts of things.

Comments

• hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching. Can't believe they made a loss of £51 million in 2013!

If I was a boss of a company like that, I would be rewarding those long term employees. I would want to reward loyal employees like that. (With more than a poxy kiss)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will cost a fortune to fit out a plane. The toilet alone costs £200k!!! Yikes!
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    200 grand for a toilet - These companies just pluck an extreme figure out of the air.
    There is no way that materials (moulded plastic) + labour + a healthy profit can ever = 200 grand.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Ryanair toilet costs a tenner:

http://lifestylehack.net/files/2015/02/bucket-agro.png

And they charge you £1 per stool!
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    A Ryanair toilet costs a tenner:

http://lifestylehack.net/files/2015/02/bucket-agro.png

And they charge you £1 per stool!

Nice to see they actually supply one now instead of having to bring your own bucket.

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They keep going on about all the red, regarding the cabin crew uniforms, you'd think the male attendants would wear red ties, not that weird purple colour they have.

Not that they are focusing on any of the men, its still very much a female role.

At least age doesn't seem to be as much of a factor any more, pleased the older lady got the job.
    Forum Member
    Yes it's refreshing to see that they are getting away from selling sex as a requirement for the job.

If I was on a flight I would be more interested in the service and not how sexy the person dealing me was or what their age, sex or sexuality was.
  • applepie2100applepie2100 Posts: 23,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That training class was night and day compared to the one featured on the BA documentary a few months back. Everything seemed so positive compared to all the BA talk of snapshots and trying to put the wind up the trainees.
    Forum Member
    They keep going on about all the red, regarding the cabin crew uniforms, you'd think the male attendants would wear red ties, not that weird purple colour they have.

It's strange as yes the tail and logo details feature red, their interiors are all that purple colour.

EDIT: Sorry it's not purple, it's black cherry! :D
    Forum Member
    That training class was night and day compared to the one featured on the BA documentary a few months back. Everything seemed so positive compared to all the BA talk of snapshots and trying to put the wind up the trainees.

Yes the BA one was a right snob-fest. Stuck up people looking down their noses at everyone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's strange as yes the tail and logo details feature red, their interiors are all that purple colour.

I do think red can be a very smart colour, but I don't like that weird purple shade they also use.

The men would look really smart with a white shirt, red tie and black waistcoat with red backing.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £12500 a year starting salary.I'd like to think it goes up quite a bit after a wee while.:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    £12500 a year starting salary.I'd like to think it goes up quite a bit after a wee while.:o

I think it will. I bet there are also a lot of extras the employees get.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's one of the extras the employees get... free mini holidays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes that part looks nice.Especially Virgin and their long haul flights.Big expenses account.I suppose if you only do London to Edinburgh every day your salary would be higher.
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »

Yes but think of the price of all those stop-overs on expenses. (Hotel rooms and food and drinks paid for, so a lot of money is not needed.) So if going places is your idea of a great life, then money is not everything.
  • innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member

Pay doesn't improve significantly with experience. There's just so much demand for positions that the airlines can pay rubbish with the perks on offer. Staff churn is easy to manage when you have hundreds of applicants chasing one job opening,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather be a train driver on £42k a year.That would be my ideal job.
    The cabin crew have an awful lot of responsibility for such rubbish money.
    But supply and demand and all that.You could tell when they said the ad was only open for a few days and they were overwhelmed by applications.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »
    Pay doesn't improve significantly with experience. There's just so much demand for positions that the airlines can pay rubbish with the perks on offer. Staff churn is easy to manage when you have hundreds of applicants chasing one job opening,

I doubt they want their staff to leave after a year or a couple of years after the amount of work that goes into the training process. That alone must cost the company a fortune.

Its not like a supermarket where they give basic training on tills, stocking etc and can easily train a single person or a group of people at one time.
    With flight attendants, they can't just hire one person at a time and give them full training, so in this job, staff churn isn't easy to manage.
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In the 70s a former colleague got 90% discount on a trip to Australia as his daughter worked for an airline.

If I was on a flight I would be more interested in the service and not how sexy the person dealing me was or what their age, sex or sexuality was.

I tend to choose my destination first, then the airline if more than one goes there, or if there's a choice of routes/stop overs; (Qantas from Kuala Lumpur to London has a long enough change at Dubai for a quick trip up the Burj, with the bonus of being an A380)
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the BA one was a right snob-fest. Stuck up people looking down their noses at everyone.
    The BA training was nothing to do with snobbery. They have loads of applicants and can afford to impose demanding standards to weed a few out.

Virgin has a more relaxed style but equally high standards.
  • GrolsGrols Posts: 296,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pleased the older lady (Katrina?) Got through but I think she needs a hair makeover. :blush:

Update, I'm watching on +1 and annd her hair looks quite nice now :D
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    200 grand for a toilet - These companies just pluck an extreme figure out of the air.
    There is no way that materials (moulded plastic) + labour + a healthy profit can ever = 200 grand.
    You did notice all the high tech stuff in there apart from the moulded plastic? Anyway, aircraft parts are always expensive. Everything has to be certified for in flight use. You can't just go to Homebase, buy a toilet suite and install it in a 787.
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    G3rol wrote: »
    I'm pleased the older lady (Katrina?) Got through but I think she needs a hair makeover. :blush:

Update, I'm watching on +1 and annd her hair looks quite nice now :D

She is beautiful I think. There are a lucky few women who age well, I think it has something to do with their cheekbones.
  • Striker22Striker22 Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    I was pleased for Katrina, she wasn't fazed by the age difference between her and the other applicants.
    I preferred the calibre of the BA trainees, one or two of the VA trainees were personality free and vacuous, Char? particularly.