Engelbert Humperdinck to represent the UK

Comments

• EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »

Strange that we havem't seen a TV interview with Engelbert since the announcement. Will he be seen on British TV soon?
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe he's probably still in America recording at the moment, will probably have a fair few when he gets back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Strange that we havem't seen a TV interview with Engelbert since the announcement. Will he be seen on British TV soon?

I'd imagine they're deliberately saving his first interview for an 'exclusive' on Graham Norton, or another overlong self-aggrandising documentary like we got with Blue last year.

Radio-silence is a good way to draw ratings to those sort of things, but it definitely is not the way to win Eurovision. They've let the biggest spark of publicity he's likely to get before May just die without promoting him at all. I do wonder if there's actually anyone at all left on the Beeb's Eurovision team nowadays: there's only so much 'not doing anything at all is part of the plan' I can hypothesise before I have to stop believing it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd imagine they're deliberately saving his first interview for an 'exclusive' on Graham Norton, or another overlong self-aggrandising documentary like we got with Blue last year.

Radio-silence is a good way to draw ratings to those sort of things, but it definitely is not the way to win Eurovision. They've let the biggest spark of publicity he's likely to get before May just die without promoting him at all. I do wonder if there's actually anyone at all left on the Beeb's Eurovision team nowadays: there's only so much 'not doing anything at all is part of the plan' I can hypothesise before I have to stop believing it!

It's certainly a very odd way of doing things. A big announcement that Engelbert is the entrant but no sign of him or the song anywhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Nigh on ten million UK citizens care enough to tune in on the night so your tiresomely jaundiced view of the contest is at odds with the facts. In addition, the amount of coverage this has received in the press would also indicate the GBP do give a toss one way or the other - Papers don’t maintain and increase their circulation by devoting pages to subjects which their readership has absolutely no interest at all in.

Could you be more wrong?!?!

Could I be more wrong in thinking that just a handful of those ten million care enough about it to post on internet forums, set up Facebook protests or complain directly to the BBC?

I reckon I’m pretty much spot on, thanks all the same.

Don't judge everyone by your knicker-twisting antics.
  • UpInMyFaceUpInMyFace Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long until the song has to be heard? the BBC are cutting this fine.

I just hope they have actually heard the song. :eek:
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a week Sunday I think although Azerbaijan has a bit longer for some reason.
  • UpInMyFaceUpInMyFace Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe we'll get it this week then. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UpInMyFace wrote: »
    How long until the song has to be heard? the BBC are cutting this fine.

I just hope they have actually heard the song. :eek:

Apparently there is no obligation on them to air the song before they hand it over to the EBU next Sunday.
  • penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not long now till Engelbert's song will be released, just adding the final touches. It’ll be worth the wait, we promise repeat this tweet here
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could I be more wrong in thinking that just a handful of those ten million care enough about it to post on internet forums, set up Facebook protests or complain directly to the BBC?

I reckon I’m pretty much spot on, thanks all the same.

Don't judge everyone by your knicker-twisting antics.

Loving the baseless, unsubstantiated opinion passed off as fact - A DS default posting mechanism for some.

I provided you with viewing figures for the contest and pointed to the blanket coverage this had in tabloids and broadsheets and across all media - It was even on Newsnight and Radio 4’s Today programme so for you to say nobody gives a toss is just about the most wrongheaded nonsense I’ve read on these forums in some time.

Don’t let the objective facts get in the way of you “reckoning you’re spot on” will you?
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2110786/Englebert-Humperdincks-manager-reveals-brought-singer-success.html

It is Engelbert’s down-to-earth nature and good humour that have endeared him to so many fans.

There are certainly enough of them to ensure his victory in May, and I, for one, believe that he will win.

But whatever the outcome, one thing is certain: when it comes to experience and genuine star quality, the man whose shoes I once repaired with brown paper will be the best representative we could ever wish for at Eurovision.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Do we even know what style of song it is - ballad, pop, R&B?
  • thomizzlethomizzle Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Filthy dubstep ;)
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    It's hinted at being a ballad wiht a country influence
  • babbababba Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well thats certainly his style, no way will they make a 75yo sing out of his comfort zone...were doooooomed...
  • Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Country? In Eurovision? Also, still no promo and no sign of the song? The BBC must be setting us up to lose on purpose because this is a totally barmy way of doing Eurovision.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Oh ye of little faith, I think Enge has every chance of matching the achievement of James Fox and his plasticy Afrikaner cowboy bar music. :D
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

You mean like Islands in the stream by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers?
  • jan_leemingjan_leeming Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Are the crowds of people whinging about the Hump's age now doing the same about Russia's grandparents?

I had wondered why it was that all the people complaining about the Hump seemed to say en masse how much they loved the Russian grannies, and all seemed a bit double standards to me. But let's not forget that Englebert was chosen by the BBC and the decision was taken out of the public hands, whereas the Russian public did have a say in who won their final, so if it all goes wrong for them on the night they only really have themselves to blame (whereas we have the BBC:D)

Oh and let's not forget they have the gimmick factor and are of course adorable which also helps. Maybe if Englebert dressed up in folk costume, donned a headscarf and shuffled about on stage a bit while singing in a minority dialect and hugging a toothless crone he might win the naysayers over.....?
  • georgetheaspiegeorgetheaspie Posts: 1,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had wondered why it was that all the people complaining about the Hump seemed to say en masse how much they loved the Russian grannies, and all seemed a bit double standards to me. But let's not forget that Englebert was chosen by the BBC and the decision was taken out of the public hands, whereas the Russian public did have a say in who won their final, so if it all goes wrong for them on the night they only really have themselves to blame (whereas we have the BBC:D)

Oh and let's not forget they have the gimmick factor and are of course adorable which also helps. Maybe if Englebert dressed up in folk costume, donned a headscarf and shuffled about on stage a bit while singing in a minority dialect and hugging a toothless crone he might win the naysayers over.....?

:D:D:D

I think that, if Engelbert dressed like that and performed like the Russian grannies, everybody involved would just end up looking like a real prat. The Russian grannies somehow get away with it.
    Saying that, it probably wouldn't hurt to have him singing to Dame Edna and have an instrumental break in which she could shout 'Evening possums!':D:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newtalent/music/songwriters/advice.shtml

Sacha Skarbek

Sacha Skarbek is an award-winning songwriter who's worked with artists such as Samantha Mumba, Beverley Knight and James Blunt - with whom he wrote the worldwide no.1 hit 'You're Beautiful'.

Sacha, who will be one of the mentors on the Radio 2 New Songwriters scheme, has some great advice about what makes a good song, what kit you need to record it and why he's looking forward to being a mentor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/239940

BOOKING inquiries for the city of Baku have risen sevenfold since Engelbert Humperdinck was named as the UK Eurovision entry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/239940

BOOKING inquiries for the city of Baku have risen sevenfold since Engelbert Humperdinck was named as the UK Eurovision entry.

That's got nothing to do with Eurovision tickets still being on sale of course, it's all purely down to people being interested in the Hump. Even the Star can't really believe that :yawn: