tablet to use as sat nav

ladyloulouladyloulou Posts: 7,932
Forum Member
my hubbys sat nav has died :mad: it can be fixed which they say is going to be £50! for the amount we use it, that seems a lot so we are thinking of going down the tablet route. We have a kindle fire hd but cannot seem to do it with that, is there another tablet that we can use occasionally as a satnav?
many thanks

Comments

• brillopadbrillopad Posts: 3,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ladyloulou wrote: »
    my hubbys sat nav has died :mad: it can be fixed which they say is going to be £50! for the amount we use it, that seems a lot so we are thinking of going down the tablet route. We have a kindle fire hd but cannot seem to do it with that, is there another tablet that we can use occasionally as a satnav?
    many thanks

Nexus 7 - Youtube video
  • GamerGirlGamerGirl Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A new TomTom XL2 costs about £80 +/-

I have a Nexus 7 tablet, but once away from the home WiFi I can't understand how this would work as a satnav unless you have one with 3G and a data plan :confused:
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    GamerGirl wrote: »

I have a Nexus 7 tablet, but once away from the home WiFi I can't understand how this would work as a satnav unless you have one with 3G and a data plan :confused:

Well you can either use a free full on Satnav app like Navfree

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.ALL&hl=en

or Google maps which has Satnav built into it, if you plan your route you can save the route and map to memory so the tablet does not need an internet connection.

There are other pay for satnav apps for Android, but Navfree works really well, you will need to download the UK maps once it's installed and the maps get updated every few months.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    GamerGirl wrote: »

It works the same way as the TomTom - install a map and away you go
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can also create a local hotspot with most smart phones. Google maps takes very little data once maps are cached. It will work without a data connection but you lose live traffic and POI lookup.