Comments

• KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well I beg to differ about this being the first meeting between The Doctor and Thatcher. He met her in 'The Ultimate Adventure' and I would think that is just as 'official', whatever the hell that means!
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I love watching the defensive Conservatives leap up in the comments section on the few articles I've seen on this... all shunning Doctor Who for indoctrinating.

But I see it as no bigger a deal than Nixon or Hitler appearing in Series 6... she's appearing as an alien for crying out loud :D And as always, Doctor Who borrows from history regularly as clockwork.

I haven't read any of these e-books yet, but I can't wait to once they're all available in physical form :)
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Little bit of politics."

I'm Welsh. Working Class background. 14/15 years old in 1984 when was becoming more politically aware. You might be able to wildly guess my opinion on a certain politician.

Probably why I like 'The Happiness Patrol'...in a minority there too! (Vote-wise. ;) )

Admittedly I couldn't vote until '87, obviously. I mean in elections, not DWM season surveys.

Hope the story's more 'Wife' than 'Nightmare'..quality-wise!

(no idea why am turning into Tony from '...Reginald Perrin' in this post :confused: )
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm half-Welsh. Gay. Working class. Brought up in one of the poorest areas of Manchester. Work in TV, where it's almost compulsory to be a Bollinger Bolshevik. Love Doctor Who. And I've voted Tory all my life.
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Hopefully she'll get pushed into a cupboard. If it's good enough for Adolf...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    I'm half-Welsh. Gay. Working class. Brought up in one of the poorest areas of Manchester. Work in TV, where it's almost compulsory to be a Bollinger Bolshevik. Love Doctor Who. And I've voted Tory all my life.

Bravo! :)

The series must be politically and religiously neutral, and no writer has no right to impose their political or (non) religious views to fans of the series that has nothing to do with politics. That would be humiliating and insulting of all great 50 years of Doctor Who and turning it into political propaganda.
    Hopefully it won't be true.

Involving Lady Thatcher would be great idea, but certainly not as villain.

Gaiman really disappointed me, shame!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    This is childish politicking that does nobody any credit. It drags the BBC and Dr Who through the mud. It just shouldn't be getting into party politics whatsoever.

Worse still, it produces some really crummy stories.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't be able to read the Gaiman story, sadly, if he mentions the Wicked Witch by name.

Just seeing the T-word written down makes me vomit.

(I'm half-Welsh, working class, brought up in one of the poorest areas of Manchester, never met a Bollinger Bolshevik and would die rather than vote Tory).
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Reading the article, it doesn't say that Thatcher is the enemy, but that an alien is using Thatcher's influence to enact some unpleasant policies. That kind of thing works no matter which politician is in power - but there have been very few recent Prime Ministers nearly as charismatic and iconic as Thatcher.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Reading the article, it doesn't say that Thatcher is the enemy, but that an alien is using Thatcher's influence to enact some unpleasant policies. That kind of thing works no matter which politician is in power - but there have been very few recent Prime Ministers nearly as charismatic and iconic as Thatcher.

What not even Dave? You jest surely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    perhaps he could come up with a story about shapeshifting aliens that do anything to stay in power....oh yes we have them already , there called Lib Dems
  • ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour: Pushovers.
    Conservatives: Peasant haters.
    Liberal Democrats: Idiots.
    UKIP: Sinister and weird.
    BNP: Ignorant and unreasonable.
    New British Union (Facist Party): Need I say more?

WHO IN THE NAME OF SANITY DO I VOTE FOR MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't the Doctor go back in time and create a political party that's actually any good???
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think nick clegg has already been "upgraded" ........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thamwet wrote: »
    Labour: Pushovers.
    Conservatives: Peasant haters.
    Liberal Democrats: Idiots.
    UKIP: Sinister and weird.
    BNP: Ignorant and unreasonable.
    New British Union (Facist Party): Need I say more?

WHO IN THE NAME OF SANITY DO I VOTE FOR MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't the Doctor go back in time and create a political party that's actually any good???

I think they're called the Green Party, but since getting some level of power they've gone downhill in many people's opinion, so I hear. Maybe he could go back and create an entirely different political system that works better than the one we've got.