Doc Martin (Part 12 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TxBelle wrote: »
    Could you imagine what one of the networks would do if they had a show that got 45million viewers consistently? :eek:

I've been amazed that none of the major commercial US networks have realised what a goldmine DM could be for them. With the right advertising they could have huge audiences.
  • TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madmother wrote: »
    I've been amazed that none of the major commercial US networks have realised what a goldmine DM could be for them. With the right advertising they could have huge audiences.

they could, but they'd screw it up somehow for sure. For some reason, the producers of US are afraid of having average people cast in shows. You know the ones that are short, dumpy, not so attractive, just average people. It just seems to me that if they could get over the unrealistic mindset that they have now, they could have some great shows that most of us "real people" could identify with and thoroughly enjoy. The ratings would go through the roof!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katherine Parkison was on a weekend radio chat show and not saying that she wouldn't be back in DM:confused::confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    portwenner wrote: »
    I think one of the reasons why Doc Martin is expensive compared to other British shows on PBS is that it is produced by ITV, which is a private, for-profit company - in contrast to most of the other British shows on PBS, which were produced by the BBC.

It's not produced by ITV, it's produced by BP, but it is commissioned by them. AS far as I'm aware, BP hold the rights.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simplyred wrote: »
    Katherine Parkison was on a weekend radio chat show and not saying that she wouldn't be back in DM:confused::confused:

She did not say she would NOT? That is like saying you might be a little bit pregnant...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still don't understand why we haven't seen the 2nd behind-the-scenes making of DM on KCET!? Are they not going to even put 2 minutes of it on their website!? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Now if Doc Martin was in it, I'd put his pieces back together again and again...
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    portwenner wrote: »

My local PBS station has already shown all of the first four series, with some repeats, but nothing is showing currently. Not sure what they have in mind for Series 5.

My PBS station says they'll be able to show it by spring 2012. By then, Louisa could be pregnant again! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »

Thanks for this!

March 1st, I can't wait!!! :D:D:D This means I have to get serious and clean out my DVR now.

And they're airing the movie too. I'm looking forward to that. I know it's completely different from the series, but you know we're going to compare them. Should be interesting. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member

The article says that APT began showing Doc Martin in the US in 2007, but I don't think it appeared in my area until about October 2010. They must have introduced it initially into a couple of test markets - or maybe they could not afford to air it in every location all at once.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    She did not say she would NOT? That is like saying you might be a little bit pregnant...

She was specifically asked if she would be returning and she (specifically) did not say that she wouldn't.
    She also didn't say that there wouldn't be another series - although that may be my super-optimism at work:D:D:D;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's the same here in AUstralia. DM is shown on the public network and they seem to sneak it on the schedule without any advertising or hype. :eek::eek::eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Now if Doc Martin was in it, I'd put his pieces back together again and again...

I knew that was you Renee without even reading who wrote it. :D:D:D

Although now that I have had a look at it it is certainly lacking a certain something. :cry::cry::cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they could, but they'd screw it up somehow for sure. For some reason, the producers of US are afraid of having average people cast in shows. You know the ones that are short, dumpy, not so attractive, just average people. It just seems to me that if they could get over the unrealistic mindset that they have now, they could have some great shows that most of us "real people" could identify with and thoroughly enjoy. The ratings would go through the roof!

I totally agree. I am so sick of all these perfect people in US series. I think it is why I prefer the UK series. Well, that and the British sense of humour, which I love.

I can watch yes minister over and over and still laugh even though my family thinks I am crazy. :):):) They think I am crazy watching DM over and over too. :):):) We all know who are the real crazies - those who don't get DM!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    I still don't understand why we haven't seen the 2nd behind-the-scenes making of DM on KCET!? Are they not going to even put 2 minutes of it on their website!? :confused:

http://www.kcet.org/shows/doc_martin/web-extras/doc-martin-behind-the-scenes--.html
    Found it:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks, Jill. Great but abruptly cut off at 2 mins again. :mad::mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Jill. Great but abruptly cut off at 2 mins again. :mad::mad:

So incredibly frustrating. :cry::cry::cry:

Would it be possible for someone to tape it and send it via private email to people who want to see it?

I guess you would have to set it up for next week when it is shown on TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was specifically asked if she would be returning and she (specifically) did not say that she wouldn't.
    She also didn't say that there wouldn't be another series - although that may be my super-optimism at work:D:D:D;)

Thanks for the update, SimplyRed.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What would we like to see her as, if she does come back, and I hope she does. She was very funny as the "practice manager" but I hope Morwenna stays on. Maybe a quick course in pharmacy? Runs the restaurant with Bert? the new nanny?
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    What would we like to see her as, if she does come back, and I hope she does. She was very funny as the "practice manager" but I hope Morwenna stays on. Maybe a quick course in pharmacy? Runs the restaurant with Bert? the new nanny?

I think she would be great as the pharmacist. By the end of series 4 Pauline and the Doc had great chemistry. I really missed her in series 5.

Regarding DM on US commercial television, I think MC said he was offered something but decided not to do it. I think it's the interview where he calls America a "stupid country, they only like themselves". :o:o
  • TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she would be great as the pharmacist. By the end of series 4 Pauline and the Doc had great chemistry. I really missed her in series 5.

Regarding DM on US commercial television, I think MC said he was offered something but decided not to do it. I think it's the interview where he calls America a "stupid country, they only like themselves". :o:o

now that sounds like something DM would say..Im sad that MC said it though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

now that sounds like something DM would say..Im sad that MC said it though.

To be fair to MC, wasn't that when they were trying to buy the rights to make a US version of DM? They couldn't agree because whichever US company it was wanted to give it a US makeover, do 24 eps a season etc and MC wasn't happy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I knew that was you Renee without even reading who wrote it. :D:D:D

Although now that I have had a look at it it is certainly lacking a certain something. :cry::cry::cry:
    Actually, I thought of Mona when I wrote it. That comment about her tv remote was to die for!
This discussion has been closed.