Recommended FM Transmitter?

Does anyone recommend an FM transmitter for an ipod 30Gb? I have been looking at the Griffin and Belkin and am not sure if the best option is to connect via the headphone socket (as the Belkin does) or the connector at the bottom.

Any thoughts or experiences of either would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• sy278sy278 Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you do know these devices are illegal in the UK at the moment, don't you?
  • Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    I bought a Griffin iTrip in Lanzarote for €22 and it works great! It connects at the top to the headphones socket and the little socket next to that for it's power.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sy278 wrote:
    you do know these devices are illegal in the UK at the moment, don't you?

Not anymore.
  • rich_jtgrich_jtg Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Telly_Man wrote:
    Not anymore.
    Not according to OFCOM's website
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They only have a range of about 10 feet so and in Ofcom's eyes they are no bad thing, nothing will happen to you for using it. They are designed for things like car radios n stuff i.e. so you can hear your ipod through the car speakers or other osund system.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basic £5 deld job from ebay by all accounts works as well as the best.
    Avoid the stupid ones with LCD screen and other totally non needed freaures.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rich_jtg wrote:
    Not according to OFCOM's website

The legislation changed last month, hence these are now selling in Argos, Comet, Currys and the likes.
  • Dave 8o]Dave 8o] Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is true that FM transmitters are currently illegal, but OfCom are currently looking into legalising them at some point in the future and while not certain, it is looking good that they will be alloing there use in the near future.

It is woth baring in mind that OfCom may only approve certain models that have been tested to meet cerain standards. So the one you buy today may not be legal even after the regulations have been changed.

I would recomend that when/if you get one you look for one that will convert the audio to mono as you will be able to get a better signal if you only transmit a single channel. My car has a removable ariel and I've had better results if I remove the arial and place the iTrip & iPod on the shelf directly under the radio. The lack of an external arial prevents a lot of the smaller staions from being picked up, leaving you a lot more room to tune in.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Telly_Man wrote:
    The legislation changed last month, hence these are now selling in Argos, Comet, Currys and the likes.
    Actually it hasn't. It is currently still illegal to use any transmitting equipment in the Band II broadcast band without the relevent Wireless Telegraphy Act licence.

What has changed is that Ofcom have initiated a consultaion process which ends on Monday, 6th Nov. about proposed ammendments to the Wireless Telegraphy Act which would make such devices legal.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/exemption/summary/

There is however no bar under EU law to stop shops selling these devices if they have a CE mark, as outlined in the page linked to by rich_jtg. If you look in the small print of the ads featuring these devices you will see a get out clause saying that although you can legally buy them you cannot legally use them in the UK.

Reading the available documentation on the Ofcom website it looks very certain that these devices will become legal to operate, but that is still some way off. And there is no guarantee that any device curently on sale will meet whatever technical specifications Ofcom decide on to make them licence exempt.
  • intheknowintheknow Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    Since discussion of illegal items is not allowed on Digital Spy maybe we should stop talking about them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    I have the itrip that plugs into the socket at the bottom..I don't believe the Griffin that plugs into the headphone socket works on a Video ipod if that is what you have.
    Firstly, be aware that it uses the ipod battery to power the transmitter, so its worth also purchasing a power adapter for the car which plugs into the bottom of the itrip as you will find the battery soon wears flat otherwise.

The itrip has a fairly good range of frequences (remembering to change it to European settings first). This is important as if you are using it near a city as it's quite hard to find a decent clear signal where there are no stations transmitting (I haven't tried removing my aeriel as suggested above but that is probably a good tip).

Quality is O.K. but it can be variable depending on conditions and there is always a background hum - its nowhere as good as CD quality for example. A bettter option for the car would be to buy a radio with an input socket for MP3.
  • NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Telly_Man wrote:
    No it didn't. If you actually read the adverts for these in the newspapers (though curiously not online) you'll see they print a disclaimer which says that these are currently illegal for use in the UK pending a review of the current legislation.
  • rich_jtgrich_jtg Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    December 8th Could be the legal date apparently.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep they become legal on the 8th December. Its crazy how an old outdated act meant that we couldnt use these radio transmittors.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My son has the new generation video ipod. He primarily wants to use an itrip to play through his stereo system and i presume that this would also work on the car radio. Does anyone know the model and no of something that does this and also has a charger to plug in whilst its playing in the car. I'm getting confused with all these car ones with chargers and not sure if they work in the house as well:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suggest the Belkin because the griffin iTrip is an iPod-only device whereas the Belkin Tunecast devices are universal just requiring a headphone socket so you could plug htem in to any mp3 player plus perhaps other devices e.g. cassette tape players, mobile phones etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Better with the iTrip if you've got an iPod though.
  • InsanepersonInsaneperson Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is annoying when you are driving and you hear a blip of someone;s broadcast being picked up. Will this not happen with the new regulation FM Transmitters?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is unlikely, their range is about 10 feet max and within a car that will again reduce their range. There really shouldn't be a problem.