is britney spears the most well known female popstar?

zeebre12zeebre12 Posts: 1,167
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is Britney spears the most well known female pop star of the past 20 years..?if u were to ask anyone to name a pop star they would name her..compared to Rihanna,pink,Katy Perry I think she is the most well known..I think she is the destination of a female pop star and she would be the first to pop into everyone's head when the think female pop star-espically older people..

Comments

• elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madonna?
  • Just VogueJust Vogue Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps after Madonna.

Although it entirely depends on the age of the person you are asking. 30+ and there's a pretty good chance the answer will be Madonna, anything under that and it could widely vary I guess.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say that, at this stage Rihanna is more famous than Britney. Before her breakdown, I would agree with this thread, but now, I would say Britney's star has faded slightly, but even for the little she does do, she is still incredibly famous and is still very successful, in the US at least.

Overall I would say Rihanna is more famous than Britney though. She seems to have a much larger profile online and she has had a string of hit songs since 2007 whereas Britney hasn't had that many hits in the same time frame.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt she'd be the first on any my friends lists, her star has waned quite a bit, especially in the UK imo, she is well known but I think people like Rihanna, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Pink and Beyonce would spring to people's minds before Britney does, it might be different a few years ago but not now.
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Lady Gaga is possibly more famous than Britney at the moment. Gaga is known by pretty much all demographics, I reckon my Nan would recognise her if she saw a photo of her, or at least know the name. I don't think she'd be as aware of Rihanna or Britney.
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    I reckon my Nan would recognise her if she saw a photo of her, or at least know the name. I don't think she'd be as aware of Rihanna or Britney.

And if she's wearing a wacky outfit people would probably just think of her.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends who you ask alot of people my age grew up with Britney when we childrent then teens she was our first pop megastar. Ask another age Group and it could be Madonna, Kylie, Rihanna, Beyonce, Riri, Perry, Gaga. So its all relative really.
  • zeebre12zeebre12 Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if I asked my parents have the heard of lady gaga,Rihanna,Katy Perry..they wouldn't..but everyone from the age of 5 to 85 has heard of Britney spears..
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I think anybody over the age of about 20 would probably say Madonna. It's only these past few years that she has lost her youth appeal.

Anybody younger would probably say Rihanna.

Britney wouldn't get a look in IMO - I think she has become less relevant than Madonna imo. Her fanbase is pretty static - i.e people in their 20's who remember when she released decent songs...
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    from the last twenty years, i would say madonna, because she has been around all of that time with varying degrees of success and she would probably be the first female name to come from "older people". however, in the here and now, i would say rihanna is the biggest pop star in the present time.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Of the last 20 years she probably is, along with Rihanna, Gaga and Katy.

Of the last 30 years (and me being an 'older person')it would definitely be Madonna!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Madonna > Britney Spears > Lady Gaga.

To be the "most well known" you have to go beyond being a popstar and into infamy. Those three have owned that (for better and worse) in their respective eras.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I don't know anyone who hasn't heard of her. Most people have likely heard some of her singles even if they aren't fans.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know anyone who hasn't heard of her. Most people have likely heard some of her singles even if they aren't fans.

Everyone form you nan to your little sister knows Baby One More time and not forgetting the outfit :p
  • umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney Spears is the definition of 21st century pop? The ultimate popstar in every sense. Without a doubt she is probably the most well known only after Madonna.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I think Britney is more well-known with my age group (I'm 21). But as another poster mentioned, all the really old people seem to know Lady Gaga, whilst people like Britney, Rihanna, etc. are mainly known by the younger generation and their parents's generation (but not grandparents, etc.).

Baby One More Time at least is probably known by everybody. And also Oops I Did it Again and Toxic are very famous. Lady Gaga doesn't have any songs as famous as those, but I think her image is more famous. I feel like people have forgotten now, but remember 2009? Her record label did absolutely everything possible to make sure everybody knew who Lady Gaga is. Biggest promotional campaign I've seen for a pop star ever.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    I think Britney is more well-known with my age group (I'm 21). But as another poster mentioned, all the really old people seem to know Lady Gaga, whilst people like Britney, Rihanna, etc. are mainly known by the younger generation and their parents's generation (but not grandparents, etc.).

Baby One More Time at least is probably known by everybody. And also Oops I Did it Again and Toxic are very famous. Lady Gaga doesn't have any songs as famous as those, but I think her image is more famous. I feel like people have forgotten now, but remember 2009? Her record label did absolutely everything possible to make sure everybody knew who Lady Gaga is. Biggest promotional campaign I've seen for a pop star ever.

that is probably because you're 21, britney had a similar promotional launch ten years previously and that is just one obvious example. if you really feel like people have forgotten about 2009 already, then its possible that the campaign didn't have lasting impact.

my parents are grandparents and they're well aware of all the pop stars you mention. believe it or not, but "really old people" also listen to radio, watch tv and some even use the internet.;) people of all ages can form opinions on modern pop stars and i really think the music matters more to these mature listeners. put it this way, my mum often mentions when she likes a song on the radio and she tells me who sings the song, but she rarely remarks about a pop star's image.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna > Britney Spears > Lady Gaga.

To be the "most well known" you have to go beyond being a popstar and into infamy. Those three have owned that (for better and worse) in their respective eras.

I agree with this.

These three are probably the "most well known" female pop stars. While Rihanna is definitely up there, I feel like she hasn't really done anything notable outside of her chart success to make her very well known by all age groups. Her image is nothing extraordinary and she's got no "wow!" performances.

Britney and Madonna may not be as current, but they don't need to be. They've already established themselves as the pop icons of their respective time periods. I feel Lady Gaga has pretty much established herself as the icon of this generation's pop music scene as well.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    No, she isn't.

Madonna is.
  • Judas82Judas82 Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Madonna has had a career which has spanned the 80's, 90's, 00's and is now in it's fourth decade. She may have lost momentum with her last release but so has Britney Spears especially in the UK.

Therefore I believe Madonna is the best known. It was widely accepted that she is ( or at least for the best part of her career was) the Queen Of Pop and she reigned supreme. Nowadays Lady GaGa, Beyoncé, Katy Perry, Rihanna and Britney are all competing for that title.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    mmeister2 wrote: »
    I agree with this.

These three are probably the "most well known" female pop stars. While Rihanna is definitely up there, I feel like she hasn't really done anything notable outside of her chart success to make her very well known by all age groups. Her image is nothing extraordinary and she's got no "wow!" performances.

Britney and Madonna may not be as current, but they don't need to be. They've already established themselves as the pop icons of their respective time periods. I feel Lady Gaga has pretty much established herself as the icon of this generation's pop music scene as well.

Precisely. Being a successful popstar isn't enough to have your name known by older generations - nor to be a global talking point. You have to do something to infiltrate the media they consume or cause enough of a stir to be a water cooler topic. Rihanna's closest was "the incident", but I doubt that was cross-generational because they'd need to know them both to care.

Like you say, Britney and Madonna have been there and done that so their current popularity isn't important. People aren't going to forget who they are.
  • SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was, now that crown lands on Rihanna and Gaga.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If by most well known you mean recognised by the most people despite what age they are, then it has to be Madonna.

Britney Spears is probably next, followed by Lady Gaga.

Unfortunately, only Madonna is well known mainly because of her music. Britney is better known recently for going of the rails and Lady Gaga is well known because she wears strange clothes.

Ask most people over 40 to recognise any of the other generic pop stars (Beyonce, Rhianna etc) and they would have trouble.

However, on a side point, maybe Jessie J is becoming more well known because of the voice.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zeebre12 wrote: »
    Is Britney spears the most well known female pop star of the past 20 years..?if u were to ask anyone to name a pop star they would name her..compared to Rihanna,pink,Katy Perry I think she is the most well known..I think she is the destination of a female pop star and she would be the first to pop into everyone's head when the think female pop star-espically older people..

I think you're under the delusion that most non fans could name more than one Britney song . Off the top of my head I could think of " Hit me Baby one more time " Most People over the age of 50 could name 5 or 6 Madonna songs and that's probably without even being a fan .
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If by most well known you mean recognised by the most people despite what age they are, then it has to be Madonna.

Britney Spears is probably next, followed by Lady Gaga.

Unfortunately, only Madonna is well known mainly because of her music. Britney is better known recently for going of the rails and Lady Gaga is well known because she wears strange clothes.

Ask most people over 40 to recognise any of the other generic pop stars (Beyonce, Rhianna etc) and they would have trouble.

However, on a side point, maybe Jessie J is becoming more well known because of the voice.

People over the age of 40 are clearly deaf , senile and don't know how to operate a radio / TV . I'm 52 and my crystal headset doesn't do Dab , something to do with the valves I think .