Options

Danny V Adam - Let's get real- what is going to happen?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
Forum Member
We all know the truth - it's really down to the end match between Danny and Adam. Who do you want to win and why?

I want Danny to win - he's sexy and soulful (to me), I appreciate that others have a different view.

As for Adam, I couldn't put it better than the Boston Phoenix, as below:
We’re not sure exactly what is driving teenage girls — and Paula Abdul — to make this Broadway-hack, balls-in-a-vice belter the early favorite for this season’s American Idol. The drag-queen pout? The pancake makeup? The worst haircut since Clay Aiken? Any of those traits would be enough to land him a spot on our list. But what puts it over the top is that ginormous whale tongue that flops out of his mouth every time he screeches one of his eyes-clenched, paint-peeling high notes. If this is the future of pop, we’re going country.

Adam fans hate Danny - he's a threat to them. They tend to be internet savvy and vocal on it. Danny fans aren't really that bothered - they know what a huge fanbase he has, a fanbase that isn't internet based AFAICS, but that will vote and vote for him.

So - who do you think will win the battle?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,122
    Forum Member
    Hope neither win-Kris ftw!
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that it will come down to them two - no matter how hard the likes of Kris and Allison try, thats how it will end up.

When it comes down to the two.. I just couldnt say. I would love Adam to win, but I dont know if he would, though id like to think so. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like Matt to win in all honesty.

Out of the two.....Danny..at a push.
  • Options
    Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member
    :rolleyes: :yawn:
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last two won't be Adam and Danny.

Maybe one of them, I can't really predict what's going to happen but it won't be an Adam V Danny final. It just won't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iMocha wrote: »
    We all know the truth - it's really down to the end match between Danny and Adam. Who do you want to win and why?

I want Danny to win - he's sexy and soulful (to me), I appreciate that others have a different view.

As for Adam, I couldn't put it better than the Boston Phoenix, as below:

Adam fans hate Danny - he's a threat to them. They tend to be internet savvy and vocal on it. Danny fans aren't really that bothered - they know what a huge fanbase he has, a fanbase that isn't internet based AFAICS, but that will vote and vote for him.

So - who do you think will win the battle?

Thanks for your non biased view.

Surely it's all down to personal opinion .. personally I think Adam is totally mesmorising, extremely talented and prefer him to Danny .. who contrary to your opinion I don't hate, I just don't like his singing style and it has nothing to do with him being a threat to Adam .... you're making assumptions about all Adam fans there when the same could be said for the reason some Danny fans dislike Adam.

Oh and I also find Adam incredibly sexy .. Danny .. not so much ... well not at all if I'm honest.

As for the Boston Phoenix quote .. just my personal opinion but I couldn't disagree more with it .... although I can think of another advantage for Adam's "ginormous whale like tongue" .. and it has nothing to do with singing :cool:

As to who'll win who knows .. but I have a feeling that Adam will get a recording contract where ever he finishes which is all I'm bothered about.
  • Options
    Forever AwkwardForever Awkward Posts: 3,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smellyadam wrote: »
    The last two won't be Adam and Danny.

Maybe one of them, I can't really predict what's going to happen but it won't be an Adam V Danny final. It just won't.

:confused: You are predicting what is going to happen :D

Other than that, as diamond1 said and as Candy indicated.

This is basically another Adam bashing thread by the same poster who said they liked him while calling him a third rate Marc Bolan wannabe.

You may hate Adam because you're a Danny fan but please don't tar everyone else with the same brush, not just Adam fans but fellow Danny fans too. You do them and Danny no favours.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    I don't dislike Danny particularly, it's just that it seems obvious to me that while both have good voices, Adam is the only one on the show who has a clear idea of what kind of recording artist he wants to be. The rest come across as doing as they are told, whereas Adam seems much more in control of what he is doing.

That will probably benefit him on AI, whereas it would be a death sentence on X Factor, as there is nothing the Cowell machine loathes more than a singer with artistic ambitions!

Remember what Cowell said a few weeks ago? "Being artistic is all very well, but not on this show". Just as well he doesn't have quite as much control on AI as on his other shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :confused: You are predicting what is going to happen :D

I apologise if I wasn't clear, I just meant I can't really predict anything, it's so close this year IMO, but I really don't think it will be a Danny/Adam final.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't dislike Danny particularly, it's just that it seems obvious to me that while both have good voices, Adam is the only one on the show who has a clear idea of what kind of recording artist he wants to be. The rest come across as doing as they are told, whereas Adam seems much more in control of what he is doing.

I disagree, Kris has shown great artistical direction and although I don't like Anoop he does have his own style when he sings and is able to interpret songs very well. And Megan (although she's now gone) put her own stamp on everything she touched, some say in a bad way :p, but I think she was great!

Allison, to some extent, has a route she seems to follow but she is young and inexperienced so she will be experimenting with her style.

Danny is the one who sticks to the script and does what he's told. Lil tries and fails, it's quite sad seeing her really trying to be what they want her to be and failing, she'd be much better off going down with her own choices rather than striving to be something else IMO.

The ONLY one that has adjusted himself for the audience is Adam. Somebody in this forum raised a good point and David Cook and Adam realised they couldn't make it their way and so are adjusting their styles to fulfill their dreams. So maybe he's in control of what he's doing but it doesn't mean that's the direction he wants to go.
  • Options
    longterm67longterm67 Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Danny will win. He is starting to become a bit boring with that bloody smug grin of his. He is a very good singer but I think he has peaked.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What kind of recording artist does he want to be?

I'd suggest that the Elvis-a-like appearance a few weeks ago was the workings of some of the higher ups.
    That will probably benefit him on AI, whereas it would be a death sentence on X Factor, as there is nothing the Cowell machine loathes more than a singer with artistic ambitions!

Remember what Cowell said a few weeks ago? "Being artistic is all very well, but not on this show". Just as well he doesn't have quite as much control on AI as on his other shows.

I think it depends what those artistic ambitions are. If they're to make a load of crap with his money, then obviously not. If he thinks it's something that's going to make him money, then go right ahead (and I think the same applies to Mr Fuller and Mr Davis as well). The point in that comment (apart from being a flippant retort which it was first and foremost) was that if you want to win the show you need to impress the audience and not just impress yourself.

The fawning over Lambert in particular and being pretty keen on David Cook last year as well suggests it's not something he loathes. Ultimately, a part of his income depends on these people as they sign to Sony through Simco. If he thought they were about to start following a path he thought was flawed, he wouldn't support them on the show. Adam is probably among the top 5 when it comes to the level of support/respect from Cowell (Kelly, Carrie, Melinda, Fantasia being the others) on Idol.

On topic, I think it's going to be close. I'm not overly excited by either of them. Gokey might have a future if he pushes the country music angle. An obvious move for the show is to get a male Carrie Underwood, though I do think they could do better than Gokey and I don't think he would be anywhere near as successful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :.

This is basically another Adam bashing thread by the same poster who said they liked him while calling him a third rate Marc Bolan wannabe.

You may hate Adam because you're a Danny fan but please don't tar everyone else with the same brush, not just Adam fans but fellow Danny fans too. You do them and Danny no favours.

Yes I see a hidden agenda in starting this thread .. by starting it with such an Adam bashing post it's only going to encourage some sort of fan wars between Adam and Danny fans where both performers get bashed. Just my opiion but I don't see the purpose of this thread as being a structured discussion as to the outcome of a Danny V Adam final.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    To be honest, you do not need to win the show to gain success afterwards. AI is very different from the X factor.

If Adam or Danny fail to make the final the chances are they will do very well without the crown. You just need to look at Jennifer Hudson & Chris Daugherty to see the evidence, in fact they have actually done better than many of the winners.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    I liked Danny best to begin with in the heats etc. but to me he hasn't upped his game yet. Adam won me over with his singing ability and charisma. In the final I think it could be Allison v Danny or Adam. I really like Allison as well as Adam.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    What kind of recording artist does he want to be?

I'd suggest that the Elvis-a-like appearance a few weeks ago was the workings of some of the higher ups. .

It's been mentioned elsewhere by someone who apparently knows him (and going by other things they have said, there is no reason to doubt them) that the idea was his but was a Motownish look with the shiny suit and glistening hair. The fact that he bears a strong resemblance to Elvis is a fortunate/unfortunate coincidence.
    C14E wrote: »
    I think it depends what those artistic ambitions are. If they're to make a load of crap with his money, then obviously not. If he thinks it's something that's going to make him money, then go right ahead (and I think the same applies to Mr Fuller and Mr Davis as well). The point in that comment (apart from being a flippant retort which it was first and foremost) was that if you want to win the show you need to impress the audience and not just impress yourself.

The fawning over Lambert in particular and being pretty keen on David Cook last year as well suggests it's not something he loathes. Ultimately, a part of his income depends on these people as they sign to Sony through Simco. If he thought they were about to start following a path he thought was flawed, he wouldn't support them on the show. Adam is probably among the top 5 when it comes to the level of support/respect from Cowell (Kelly, Carrie, Melinda, Fantasia being the others) on Idol.

On topic, I think it's going to be close. I'm not overly excited by either of them. Gokey might have a future if he pushes the country music angle. An obvious move for the show is to get a male Carrie Underwood, though I do think they could do better than Gokey and I don't think he would be anywhere near as successful.

That is exactly how I interpreted that comment, as in an "All very good but you can't win by voting for yourself" sort of way, and I agree that his appreciation of David Cook, Chris Daughtrey, Bo Bice and not to mention Rhydian Roberts suggests that he is not averse to the artistic in whatever genre.

I also agree about the path for Gokey though I find it difficult to mention him in the same breath as Carrie. He simply doesn't have Carrie's obvious marketability to name just one thing. Simply put it's not just as good.

Back to the original question, I think the only things that stand between Adam and victory are the possible votes of the conservative "anyone but the gay guy" brigade or complacency on the part of his fans as a result of the constant reports about his assumed lead, etc.

Danny is unfortunately playing it so safe that he is running the risk of his only remaining support soon being those who still feel sorry for him or are being rattled to vote for him by the Christian music sites. That in itself is a considerable number but at this stage, it starts to depend on picking up new votes, be it from the fans of eliminated contestants, converting viewers or impressing new viewers. All of which Danny appears to be failing to do.

That said, past experiences of these shows show anything is possible.

I think this week will be telling as their performance order is likely to be reversed with Adam opening the show and Danny closing it.
    diamond1 wrote: »
    Yes I see a hidden agenda in starting this thread .. by starting it with such an Adam bashing post it's only going to encourage some sort of fan wars between Adam and Danny fans where both performers get bashed. Just my opiion but I don't see the purpose of this thread as being a structured discussion as to the outcome of a Danny V Adam final.

Absolutely.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam is the only one on the show who has a clear idea of what kind of recording artist he wants to be.

I'd completely disagree with that. Adam hasn't chosen to sing anything particularly modern nor does he do anything in a particular style. He seems to jump around styles and that, imo, does not give anyone a clue as to who he wants to be.

I think it's very clear with the likes of Matt, Anoop and Allison. Kris and Lil too have a particular style. Danny's a little broader. Adam doesn't seem to fit any genre but he's going to have to settle on one sooner or later I should imagine. Personally, I'd prefer him to go down the rock route but I suspect he'll be shoved towards pop as it sells better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I'd completely disagree with that. Adam hasn't chosen to sing anything particularly modern nor does he do anything in a particular style. He seems to jump around styles and that, imo, does not give anyone a clue as to who he wants to be.

I think it's very clear with the likes of Matt, Anoop and Allison. Kris and Lil too have a particular style. Danny's a little broader. Adam doesn't seem to fit any genre but he's going to have to settle on one sooner or later I should imagine. Personally, I'd prefer him to go down the rock route but I suspect he'll be shoved towards pop as it sells better.

Matt - soul to pop to Britpop
    Anoop - pop ballads to RnB
    Allison - soft rock to country to soul
    Kris - pretty ditties to ballads to funk
    Lil - the style of the original artist of whatever song she is singing

Not what I would call defining a style and not a million miles from the much-maligned, all things to everyone Danny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd completely disagree with that. Adam hasn't chosen to sing anything particularly modern nor does he do anything in a particular style. He seems to jump around styles and that, imo, does not give anyone a clue as to who he wants to be.I think it's very clear with the likes of Matt, Anoop and Allison. Kris and Lil too have a particular style. Danny's a little broader. Adam doesn't seem to fit any genre but he's going to have to settle on one sooner or later I should imagine. Personally, I'd prefer him to go down the rock route but I suspect he'll be shoved towards pop as it sells better.

Exactly right imo! :D
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ibeca wrote: »
    Matt - soul to pop to Britpop
    Anoop - pop ballads to RnB
    Allison - soft rock to country to soul
    Kris - pretty ditties to ballads to funk
    Lil - the style of the original artist of whatever song she is singing

Not what I would call defining a style and not a million miles from the much-maligned, all things to everyone Danny.

But that's what they've sung, it's not what they want to be.

It seems pretty clear that Matt and Kris want to go pop-rock, Anoop and Lil want to go RnB, Allison to the Clarkson-eqsue girl rock...

Danny's still hovering somewhere between soul and country.

But Adam? Goodness knows what he's aiming for. And he's got to aim for something. I'm not convinced about what type of artist he wants to be yet. It's not a criticism, just an observation.
  • Options
    rosiedevonrosiedevon Posts: 7,707
    Forum Member
    who says adam has to be one particular kind of performer, dont we all like him because of his ability to sing all styles why cant we have an artist like that for a change, that way he will always appeal to a larger range of ppl rather than the ones that just choose rock - pop - country - rnb etc etc
  • Options
    ellieb123ellieb123 Posts: 7,546
    Forum Member

It seems pretty clear that Matt and Kris want to go pop-rock, Anoop and Lil want to go RnB, Allison to the Clarkson-eqsue girl rock...

But Adam? Goodness knows what he's aiming for. And he's got to aim for something. I'm not convinced about what type of artist he wants to be yet. It's not a criticism, just an observation.

I completely agree with everything you've written.... Adam is doing so well in this competition because he is good at everything... However, if you asked me what sort of album he was going to put out I would have no idea. As you say- not a criticism- I have liked/loved everyone of his performances so far.
    I would say the same for Danny.... (except the bit about the liking his performances!)

The two front runners in this competition (or so it seems vote-wise so far) are the two that I have no idea of who they want to be when this competition is finished....
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosiedevon wrote: »
    who says adam has to be one particular kind of performer, dont we all like him because of his ability to sing all styles why cant we have an artist like that for a change, that way he will always appeal to a larger range of ppl rather than the ones that just choose rock - pop - country - rnb etc etc

Because he has to make an album and singing one song from every genre imaginable will not make him appeal to a wider range of people, it will leave him appealing to nobody. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Over a career, you can do various different things. Pop singers will sometimes dabble in country music and vice versa. But what will Adam's first album sound like?

Everyone keeps saying that Adam has some kind of creative direction. Unfortunately, I'm not getting that. He's performing each song very well. But as a recording artist I'm not convinced. I could imagine an album from nearly every other one of the finalists. But I've got no idea what Adam would sound like.
  • Options
    L_SilverwolfL_Silverwolf Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam's the one with the eyeliner, right?

Sorry - remind me... Which one is Danny again? :confused:
  • Options
    Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member

What are you basing your assumptions on then, if not what they have sung and how they have sung it?

Adam is the only one who, whatever given theme, has done "Adam". To her credit, so did Megan, even if often a little too tunelessly.