Outlook, Hotmail or whatever it's called these days.

Comments

• chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have now been migrated over to Outlook from Windows Live, however both are down at the moment according to Microsoft. What a shambles and badly designed layout to boot.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    Outlook has been up for me all day. All week. In fact been up since I moved over from Hotmail last year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Working for me now. Deeply unintuitive and not user friendly. Also why would I want to send strangers my photo so I have to have a stupid silhouette I don't want! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Forum Member
    Huh? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Huh? :confused:

Weren't you allocated a 'profile picture' with yours? I was! It cannot be turned off so you have to load your own profile picture. I had a comic picture of Snoopy on my Facebook and Microsoft used that! Every email I send has a profile picture added! I changed mine to an anonymous silhouette.
    Forum Member
    Your profile picture is not added to any email you send.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your profile picture is not added to any email you send.

Well the obvious question is WTF is it doing on there then? As I said a major design blunder for the whole thing.
    Forum Member
    I think you need to spend some more time playing with it to understand how it hangs together but look in Privacy Settings to see who you have agreed to share your profile info with.
  • yosemitesamyosemitesam Posts: 869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My problem with Outlook is the column on the right suggesting things like adding networks to my inbox, importing contacts etc etc. Is there any way of getting rid of that so my emails can return to the usual width?
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You only get a choice of 9 fonts with Outlook, and Bookman old style isn't one of them!:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been 'migrated' over to Outlook.com as well.

Looks terrible as do all Microsoft sites these days with it's child-like blocky primary colours etc.

I suppose I'll have to get another gmail address and use the html version of that site as a secondary e-mail address now if I can't make Outlook into something that I am happy to look at.

The old Hotmail view was tight, logical, easy to use and functional rather than Oooooo, look at me I look just like all the other M$ sites and isn;t my default white and pale blue soooo new...no-one does any website in white and pale blue...what do you mean it doesn't work as well as Hotmail? But I look soooo funky..isn;t that the important thing?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking through the account details my XBox membership is now linked to the account...I used the hotmail account to avoid it being directly linked to M$...

Also, you have to opt out of being sent any marketing rubbish from M$.

It's getting more difficult to have different things unlinked to keep a bit of privacy these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rubbish isn't it? I understand what you mean about privacy. Just had an unwanted email from Google + and had to opt out. I didn't ask for it in the first place!
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i been migrated over to outlook, total rubbish, thankfully I don't use it that much, the couple of email newsletters I had going to it I have changed to go to a different address, i don't know if I will just keep the account and not use it or get rid of it.

As for privacy, i hate this integration, i like things to be separate, lovefilm is suppose to be changing the account over to a amazon account, I don't want them combined, so maybe now is the time to get rid of lovefilm.

As for google+, I had a google account for a while, so i have not had google+ shoved onto me. i bet it will come at some point mind you
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    i been migrated over to outlook, total rubbish, thankfully I don't use it that much

I don't use it that much either - mainly as my MS Account (nee Live ID) and mostlt to receive mail that I retrieve elsewhere. But it looks OK to me. I might form a different opinion if I was an active user.

As for privacy, i hate this integration, i like things to be separate, lovefilm is suppose to be changing the account over to a amazon account, I don't want them combined, so maybe now is the time to get rid of lovefilm.

I too have Lovefilm and Amazon. I don't especially mind the combination provided that I can have a view that just looks at either Lovefilm or Amazon. Let's see what they do.
    As for google+, I had a google account for a while, so i have not had google+ shoved onto me. i bet it will come at some point mind you

I use various Google services. Google+ is there but you don't have to use it if you don't want to, so I don't see the problem.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't use it that much either - mainly as my MS Account (nee Live ID) and mostlt to receive mail that I retrieve elsewhere. But it looks OK to me. I might form a different opinion if I was an active user.

Maybe if I used it a bit I may get used to it, but to be honest it just looks boring, just like windows 8 to be honest.
    now i am getting emails from Microsoft telling me to update to skype from messenger.
    Well I don't use messenger as such, I use digsby and i already got a user name on skype, not that I use it much, so why would I want to link my hotmail address to it?

i have no idea what they have doen to skype, but it seems really slow now and I am sure the sound quality is worse.
    I too have Lovefilm and Amazon. I don't especially mind the combination provided that I can have a view that just looks at either Lovefilm or Amazon. Let's see what they do.

If I stay with lovefilm, i am hoping that there is no way they can match the two accounts, email address for I use for lovefilm is slightly different than what I use for amazon, so the only other way to match is to use my address and I can't see then doing that.

I don't mind signing into Lovefilm with a amazon account, but not the same account i use to buy things.
    I use various Google services. Google+ is there but you don't have to use it if you don't want to, so I don't see the problem.

you may not have to use it, but it will still have a lot of your detail on it to the public, i never had a public profile on google before they started up google+, so why would I want one on Google+?
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see any ads at all using Outlook. :)

you won't see ads the sidebar unless you decide to accept advertising. You will see tips though.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I guess being the same company, it will be a cost saving to them to unify the logon's plus of course they have more data to mine.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    I don't like when they change things that you have got used to but have not found the new hotmail too bad, took only a little while to get used to.
    Photobucket is top of my bad list for things they have changed, used to be nice and easy .... now a mess.
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    you won't see ads the sidebar unless you decide to accept advertising. You will see tips though.
    Nope. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    you may not have to use it, but it will still have a lot of your detail on it to the public, i never had a public profile on google before they started up google+, so why would I want one on Google+?

I checked and there was nothing to get excited about. I also locked it down further - but this was soon after G+ launched, so don't know what it's like now. At the start the privacy control seemed more fine-grained than Facebook - or at least more obviously controllable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    I don't like when they change things that you have got used to but have not found the new hotmail too bad, took only a little while to get used to.

I use Gmail primarily. Their revamp was initially annoying too but I find it fine now. However, while Google do change their UIs frequently, they tend to do so incrementally and that's a better approach. Get a bit of feedback and then refine.

Unlike with Yahoo! and their Yahoo Groups revamp a couple of years ago. Complete disaster, such that they had to roll it back after about 2 weeks and nothing has changed since!
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been downgraded to Outlook this morning..........I don't like it

First inconvenience I've noticed............on Hotmail when sending a 'new' e-mail you could click on 'To' next to the address bar and a drop down would appear with your contacts. You could then click on one to import it to the 'Send to' address bar

I can't see an equivalent on Outlook..........does this mean you have to type in the address each time ?

Secondly............is there any way to get rid of the panels on the right hand side which take up a quarter of the screen..........:o
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I've been downgraded to Outlook this morning..........I don't like it

First inconvenience I've noticed............on Hotmail when sending a 'new' e-mail you could click on 'To' next to the address bar and a drop down would appear with your contacts. You could then click on one to import it to the 'Send to' address bar

I can't see an equivalent on Outlook..........does this mean you have to type in the address each time ?

Secondly............is there any way to get rid of the panels on the right hand side which take up a quarter of the screen..........:o
    It seems to have had a terrible effect on the full stop key of your keyboard too :p
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    It seems to have had a terrible effect on the full stop key of your keyboard too :p

Yeah, it's rubbish.
    :p